Barnes bullets??

The 140 match burners are of particular interest to me, had you ever shot the 140 SMK equivalents for a comparison? Or even berger vld's, different bullet it seems but interested in accuracy comparison as I pretty much shoot SMK's or VLD's in all my guns right now, with a little hornady mixed in although I've had fairly mixed results with accuracy there so they aren't my go to.
I shot about 2500 Nosler 140 Custom Competition through my 65 Creedmoor until I ran out. I bought the Barnes 140s (and some 145s - not tried 145s yet) to finish the 65CM barrel and also to use in my 260. No complaints with the Barnes 140MBs - just loaded 120 in my 260 for a NRL Hunter event this weekend.

I have been running Barnes 105 Match Burners in my 6BRA versus the Berger 105 Hybrids with good results - saving my 105 Hybrids for matches only.

I load the 100 gr. TTSX for my son in a 6.5 CM. He's killed 11 with them so far. It was easy to work up a load for and it's only 3/4ish max for reduced recoil. Average FPS 3,039 with a 3 shot 100 yard group of .642". I've been shooting Barnes bullets for 18 years in 17 different cartridges and have personally killed over 100 animals with them. I've lost 1 animal in that time and that was due to a bad shot which hit his brisket and he lived. View attachment 477428View attachment 477429View attachment 477432View attachment 477431View attachment 477430
That smile says it all !!

I've been shooting Barnes X bullets since they became available, I was a member of the Advisory staff so I had access to the new bullets as they came of the line, if I was shooting a caliber I often was shooting a new bullet before it was available to the public, the original X bullet sometimes was a little difficult in some rifles, however once to triple shock was available the few problem guns were no longer a problem, I currently shoot 7 different calibers in 8 different chamberings shooting 9 different bullet weights in 14 rifles, 22, 243, 257, 264, 277, 338, and 416, only one rifle allows me to seat touching the lands a 2506, all others I seat the bullets to feed properly out of the magazine box, they all have provided under MOA accuracy with a few under 1/2 inch, all my game rifles are light weight rifles with the heaviest at 8 1/4 pounds field ready, the lightest tips the scales at 6 lbs even, I do own a couple of rifles that just does not shoot Barnes well, but so far it appears most of these rifles do not like mono bullets. One however a 6mm Ackley does seem to like the 90 gr Nosler.

Anyone in here using Barnes - specifically Barnes 6.5 - bullets in reloading for the creed, prc, or saum? Have anecdotal mixed results on them, and personal mixed results with their loaded ammo, but am interested in more info. Let me know what you've been loading, how easy it was to tune, and how it shot. Even if it's not 6.6 specific let me know what you've done. Thanks!
My friend has had very good success with 127 LRX in his 6.5 CM. He has harvested antelope, deer, black bear, and cow elk with it.

I was very disappointed with the first Barnes bullets I tried years ago, they were 115g TSX .257" bullets I used in my 25-06, couldn't get them to shoot under 3MoA. Thought it was due to the 1:10" twist, so bought some 100g TSX and they weren't much better, cut my losses and gave them to a buddy of mine, they shot MoA in his 25-06…

Fast forward to the TTSX and I am very impressed, not a complaint from me so far, have used them in the same 25-06 and they shoot 3/4MoA at the largest and 1/2MoA at the smallest, have used 165g TTSX and 180g TTSX in my 300WM & 300RUM and shot a sub MoA 10 shot group with my 300RUM using the 180g TTSX Barnes factory ammo, the velocity wasn't impressive 3080fps, but the accuracy for factory ammo was remarkable.

Cheers.

Attachments

• IMG_0329.jpeg
    IMG_0329.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 27
I use the 171 MB in my varmint barreled 7/08. Very accurate. I also use the 175 LRX in my 300 WM and the 145 LRX in my 7mm Weatherby mag. Very good and accurate bullets.

I started loading for the 8mm Rem Mag and couldn't get Noslers to shoot. I read online of folks shooting the 200gr TSX and I decided to give them a go.

Ladder testing at 300 yards found a node that put three shots around 1". I did some more testing and settled on a load.

That load has dropped a Wyoming bull elk in its tracks and absolutely hammered a Maine bull moose. I will never forget the sight of seeing the moose buckle after being his in the chest. He made it 15 yards trying to get back to his feet. The whole scene lasted mere seconds.

Since seeing both of those - and multiple whitetail kills - I am fully onboard the Barnes' train. I am sure that other bullets have similar results, but my preference is now Barnes. I have switched - or am in the process of switching - all hunting rifles over to TTSX or TSX (not including target or all varmint rounds). I like the all copper idea as well and not having to use lead.

For 30 caliber and under I tend to lean towards TTSX. For calibers above that, I don't have a preference.

I've used the 120 ttsx in my 6.5 Creedmoor and it didn't group well at all. I'm getting the best accuracy from the 135 classic Bergerac. However I use the 168 ttsx in my 300 win mag with great accuracy and down range results. I guess it always boils down to what your gun likes…

I've used the 120 ttsx in my 6.5 Creedmoor and it didn't group well at all. I'm getting the best accuracy from the 135 classic Bergerac. However I use the 168 ttsx in my 300 win mag with great accuracy and down range results. I guess it always boils down to what your gun likes…

I was having trouble in a 6.5 x 47 Lapua with the 120 ttsx, and my shooting partner was shooting the 127 with some amazing luck, and he gave me a hand full to try. I seated the 127s with a .050 jump, 36g of Varget, and shot a .400 group, tweaked them tighter from there.

My brother is shooting the 130g TTSX in his 30/06 with some amazing accuracy and speed. He shot two does with an AR 15 with some 55g TTSX at 230 yards, but they ran 100 yards lung shot...no surprise to me.

I said before, that in my 270 Win, the 110g TTSX never ceases to amaze me with Win 760 and H4350 around 3300 fps with 300 yard flat shooting accuracy that would please most.

Last edited: