Barnes bullets

The BC's in the new Barnes manual are not accurate.
Here are the corrected BC's for the TSX (non-tipped) .284 cal.

120-.411
140-.477
150-.408
160-.508
175-.417

That is my point.

This added to the fact that they still require more velocity to get reliable expansion makes them LESS than ideal for really long range hunting. The low BCs cause the bullets to shed precious velocity too fast. If they opened up at lower velocities this wouldnt be an issue at all. They are great for 0-400 yards in fast calibers though.

Michael, what would you suggest that I do with the animals I killed with TSX bullets at distances greater than 400 yards? Can I return them for a refund?

Michael, what would you suggest that I do with the animals I killed with TSX bullets at distances greater than 400 yards? Can I return them for a refund?

777 yards 180 grain TSX, was not a problem. In fact the wound channel looked idenitical to the one taken at 300 yards

fa7vxj.jpg

How much farther than 400 yards? 400 yards isnt that far. I am not talking about 0-400 yards here. I am talking 800-1000+ yards with MOST cartridges. With most cartridges you will not have enough velocity to open the bullet reliably at those ranges.

I never said 400 was out of range for the X bullet. It is just that IMHO other bullets do a better job from 400-1000. I personaly dont wish to carry 2 different loads. One for up to one range and one for over another range. The reason I stated they work very well from 0-400 yards in fast calibers is becuase they hold together very well at ultra high velocities from 0-400 yards where as most others dont hold up yet the others hold up very well after 350-400 yards AND open much more reliably well after a Barnes will not.

Have you killed any at 800+?? If you have AND you had expansion I will entertain whatever smart *** comments you have to offer then.

Last edited:
I think that the posted BC for the 180 TSX is low. I use the same BC as the 180 AccuBond and it works perfectly with Exball predicting the drops

That is my point.

This added to the fact that they still require more velocity to get reliable expansion makes them LESS than ideal for really long range hunting. The low BCs cause the bullets to shed precious velocity too fast. If they opened up at lower velocities this wouldnt be an issue at all. They are great for 0-400 yards in fast calibers though.

I can't see how you can call a 140gr bullet with a BC of .477 "low". While it is not up there with the likes of the Bergers and Amax's, it is still really good.

While I haven't taken game with the tipped version, the tip should act like a wedge and help them to open up at extended ranges.

180 TSX-BT 0.271 0.552
180 MRX-BT 0.271 0.473

They have the MRX with the plastic tip ,rated lower than the TSX with its hollow point, seems a little suspect.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.