Barnes LRX bullets

Alan Griffith

Kind of curious about that max distances you hunters have experienced, seen or have first hand knowledge, where any LRX bullet (please list caliber, weight, muzzle/impact velocity) was successful. Success can be defined as a dead animal, pass through, or not, with what appears to be wrecked organs/bones, etc. I'd say if you found a bullet that did not expand, it failed. The animal may have died, but the bullet failed to do it job though it might not be the bullets fault because it may have dropped below the design impact minimum velocity or have had the tip bent/closed off due to hitting something prior to entry into the animal.

Inquiring minds want to know.

Big Al

Not really long range but I guess it's information none the less. Reloaded some 175grn 308 rounds up for my dad. I changed his Tikka T3 to a long action so he can shoot these bullets seated out a little further because they shot best with .010 jump. I used IMR 4895 with a muzzle velocity of 2615 FPS. He shot a black tail 2 weeks ago at 115 yds in the base of the neck. So impact velocity was around 2420fps ish. No bone was hit and it was a complete pass through. Exit hole was probably 3" or so in diameter. Much bigger than I expected. Buck was DRT. I was impressed, never been a mono fan myself but it being California and all...

I have shot 2 deer with the 127lrx from a 26N. Very accurate bullet in my rifle.

First deer was at 14 yards facing away, it got one right between the ears at the base of the skull impact speed not much off the 3495 muzzle velocity. Not much chance of failure there.
The second was at 180 yards impact speed roughly 3078 fps. broadside double lung shot, hit a rib on the way in roughly 1" hole out the offside ribs and 2ish inch hole through the offside hide. Lungs were jello that poured out of the chest.

I run 175gr LRX 300WM.. Haven't had to shoot past 350 yet . Really wanted to see what it would do at distance to.
Haven't lost an animal yet which is a good thing.
Even run 127gr LRX in my 260AI deer rifle.
Did real well on 3 of them last year. Also didnt have to do any tracking. The rest I got with mission sub 1

338 Rum, 265 LRX, 2830 FPS. I have shot a mule deer buck at 875 and a antelope at 780. Neither animal took another step. 1.5 inch exits on both animals.

Barnes 127 Lrx 3300 FPS at the muzzle:

Whitetail, 701 yards. Impact velocity was 1968 FPS.

shot lower 1/3 behind the shoulder. Crushed lower lung and center punched the heart.

1/2 dollar entrance, 1/2 dollar exit.

GREAT blood trail! Made it exactly 12 yards before piling up.

I love em!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.