Choosing a bullet for my .375 h&h Barnes 235gr TSX or 250gr TTSX?

BamaPse

As the title says, I am looking at hunting with my .375 h&h this year for bears and deer. I am in California so I need to run lead free. I am deciding between the Barnes 235gr TSX or 250gr TTSX. Here are my thoughts and questions. I've heard that the TTSX have to be loaded up to .4" off the lands in the .375 h&h to fit in most box magazines (That's 10x further off the lands than most people people shooting Barnes aim for). Is this really the case? I am Shooting a custom Rem 700 with blind mag. Would I do better to just run the TSX and get a little faster velocity even though the BC won't be quite as good as the TTSX? Looking to shoot out to 600yrds with my setup which I am currently doing with 250gr Sierra Gamekings. Thanks In advance for your insight.

Last edited:
.400? Holy cow!! How far off are the 250 gr SGK? How do they shoot? Only one way to know if they will work, Try them. As with most monos, I'd go lighter and faster.

While I don't have experience with Barnes' in the H&H, I've many 100's of rounds through my .375 AI (standard Win. Model 70 magazine)....without hesitation, I would go with the 250 TTSX. I am presently using the 250 TTSX's in my AI, and can pretty consistently get sub 2" (3 shot) groups) @ 300 yards. I'm not sure of my exact distance off of the lands....I do know that whatever it is, it's working! IMO, the 250 TTSX, would be a better "all around" bullet for a wide variety of game sizes and offer better long range capabilities. It would be a minimal loss in velocity, yet give the greater benefits of the slightly heavier, higher BC bullet!

And, I'm reasonably certain that you meant 0.04". Many folks seat 0.50" off of the lands! I think that Barnes recommends 0.50" as a start-point, and then reduce the distance as you develope your load! memtb

Last edited:
Thanks for your insight! I did mean .4". The recommendation from Barnes is a fifty thousandths jump .050) off the lands to start. I am finding quite a few folks shooting the TTSX in standard mags in the .375 cal so it must not be as big of a deal as I've read about in a few other threads. I'll pick up a box and see what she does. Thanks again

As above mine is an improved. It has fire many 1/2" groups with the 250. That is the one I would use.
Worked at Barnes in ballistics lab, 15 years ago. Have hunted with their product since '91. Shot only bull elk with custom 375 WBY with 270gr TSX, 2008. Shot 1/4" at 100. Wish the 250 was available back then. If your rifle shoots 235's, great for less recoil. BC on 250's favors wider range. Good shooting

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.