Barnes TSX or TTSX?

No way I'd shoot a 168 Barnes from an '06.[/QUOTE]

I have had good luck with the 168 in my /06 on two whitetails, but I wouldn't use them on my Elk hunt. I use my .340 Weatherby with 210 Nosler Partitions for them.

No way I'd shoot a 168 Barnes from an '06

I have had good luck with the 168 in my /06 on two whitetails, but I wouldn't use them on my Elk hunt. I use my .340 Weatherby with 210 Nosler Partitions for them.

Buddy of mine hunts with a 300wsm and shoots factory Vor-TX ammo with the 165 TTSX. He's shot a whole bunch elk DRT with that load. Never had to trail a single one.

not my personal bullet of choice because I like 338's for elk, but the 165 TTSX sure has worked for him.

Last edited:
I have shot three animals with 168TTSX outta my 300WM. All three one shot DRT. Two deer at 350 and one cow elk at 400. No bullets recovered. Deer-neck and front shoulder. Elk in the boiler room. The data for the loads came with the rifle. Getting 1/2 +/- @ 100. Hard for me to make a change...
And when I say DRT I mean dropped in their tracks...
I'm also a Accubond fan. I have some ABLR but haven't hunted with them as the groups in my 280 Ackley haven't gotten down under a inch yet.

I have been running the 168 TSX @ 3340fps out of my 300 rum for several years. Moose, bears, and caribou have all fallen to this load. I've yet to recover one and the accuracy and penetration is outstanding. I have never stopped one in an animal and that includes a stem to stern shot on a bull moose at 200 yards, we're talking 5+ feet of penetration. I switched to 168 TTSX a couple years ago looking for a little more expansion. So far I have used the TTSX on caribou and moose. A moose at 225 yards, high shoulder/spine shot. Broke a lot of bone and still punched out the far side, crumpled the bull in his tracks. I shot a large caribou at 519 yards, text book expansion and penetration, destroyed the heart/lungs. Put two shots thru the boiler room.

One thing I have noticed about the TTSX and TSX bullets is that since you don't have the explosiveness of a conventional bullet that it doesn't havet the immediate shock value that would will get with a Nosler BT or Partition, but you get dependable wound channels and amazing penetration. For the bigger game that I hunt here in alaska this is very important. I also recomend stepping down in bullet weight. The 130gr TTSX is a very good bullet for the 308/30/06 rounds. I load the 130 TTSX @ 3100fps for my sons 308. I have no doubt that it will tip over a cow moose this fall. I have a buddy back in michigan who runs the 130gr TTSX out of his 300 RUM @ nearly 3900fps. It has proven to be a whitetail lightening bolt. He has yet to recover a bullet, and killed a ton of whitetails with it. It allows him a point and click simplicity out past 400 yards.

My rule of thumb is that a TSX or TTSX has be run over 3k fps. What ever bullet weight you need to use in a given cartridge to keep the speed up is what you have to use. The 110 or 130 in a 308, 130 or 150 in a 30/06, etc...If a cartrige can't get to 3000+ FPS I would use a conventional cup/core style bullet like a ballistic tip, accubond, or partition.

I managed to snap the tips off a few TTSX this past year. The one that was hangkng by a thread in my magbox didn't give me the warm and fuzzy. Other than that no problems with either TTSX or TSX. Just run the dog snot out of them.

i have been using barns x,and tsx bullets including the mz's since they started making them and i have never had to chase any elk or deer they all dropped in their tracks i have never used ttsx don't see the need i don't try to fix what's not broke. also they shoot very accurate and their weight is very consistent i have had very few bullets that equal their accuracy nosler ballistic tips come close,didn't like swifts either, haven't used bergers and don't see the need to. i use tsx,s in my .270 win.(140 gr bt) and .300 win. mag.(180 gr bt), i have never had any of the issues that i have heard other people say

My rule of thumb is that a TSX or TTSX has be run over 3k fps. What ever bullet weight you need to use in a given cartridge to keep the speed up is what you have to use. The 110 or 130 in a 308, 130 or 150 in a 30/06, etc...If a cartrige can't get to 3000+ FPS I would use a conventional cup/core style bullet like a ballistic tip, accubond, or partition.

This is spot on.

I run the 120 TTSX out of my 7-08 at 3150 fps.

I run the 127 LRX out of my 6.5-284 at 3140 fps.

Both result in a lot of dead deer and pigs. Very few run, most are DRT.

However, I do not use Barnes for "long range" shots, say over 400 yards. Simply because the low BC bleeds off too much energy and speed. If I happen to be hunting somewhere that may call for a longer shot (400-600+) I will opt for a Berger or Amax.

Ive either personally used, or others have used my rifles (257wby & 300wsm) for somewhere between 30-50 animals ranging from coyotes, fox, bobcat and javelina to elk, wildebeest, hartebeest and kudu. Impressive is an understatement. Most were drt's, when hit properly none required a second shot, and even fewer required tracking. My favorite bullet for inside 600 yards, or listed velocity suggestions.

I have limited experience but.
TXS 30cal 165, 300 WSM, deer, spine, DRT, Devastating wound channel.
TTSX 338cal 185, 338/26-Nosler, cow elk, spine, DRT but did not hit nerves connected to heart so followed to the neck. Devastating would channel.

Both were well past 3k fps.

In general I prefer to shoot TTSX or LRX but use TSX in auto loaders.

I have tried both TSX and TTSX 168 gr. in my 300 win mag and cant find a load that will give me less than 3" group @100 yards. I'm currently working on the 200 gr. LRX for my rifle and am getting much better results. My rifle just does not like the lighter bullets I guess. My buddy on the other hand is shooting the 168 gr. TSX out of his 300 win mag and is getting about a 1" group with them. He killed an elk with that bullet a few years ago at about 75 yards, the bullet did a complete pass thru and the bull dropped right there.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.