Thoughts on Barnes TSX, TTSX, and other copper bullets

What are your thoughts on these hunting projectiles types?

• Total voters
Being that my dad still lives in California and they have a lead free requirement I have to have atleast one rifle to hunt with there and so barns was the bullet. My 7-08 will run the ttsx in 140 gr at currently 3050fps and the tsx is about the same . The advantage went to the ttsx as it shot a slightly tighter group. They are great for retaining bullet weight and have passed thru the armor plate on a few hogs.
I started to do some testing with the 120 ttsx and got 3165 average and good es and SD numbers but gave the bullets to a fellow hunter for his kids gun for elk . I figure I can get back to testing when I can find more .I figure the 120 will be a devastating round at that velocity if I can get the group to tighten up a little .
With the cost in reloading I'd be leary to try another brand of bullet unless there's good data and results.

So it's a brass bullet then? Since copper and zinc alloys are called brass.

The BC's on them are real crap. I can't think of a reason I'd neuter my gun with such low BC's when higher BC copper bullets are available that have no terminal performance issues. So it's a pass from me.

If you're wanting a larger variety of copper in your store take a look at McGuire Ballistics. I know Sam and Scott personally and their bullets are getting much attention here locally (take a look at the BC's). I witnessed a big Tule Elk taken at 540 yards that was DRT with one shot (28 Nosler, 160g Copper Rose). Many giant hogs are being taken right now with same results. Give Sam McGuire a call, he's a solid dude.
https://www.mcguireballistics.com/

If you're wanting a larger variety of copper in your store take a look at McGuire Ballistics. I know Sam and Scott personally and their bullets are getting much attention here locally (take a look at the BC's). I witnessed a big Tule Elk taken at 540 yards that was DRT with one shot (28 Nosler, 160g Copper Rose). Many giant hogs are being taken right now with same results. Give Sam McGuire a call, he's a solid dude.
https://www.mcguireballistics.com/
Just a suggestion since you know them. See if they can have their bullet data loaded in QL and GRT. Also various load data and twist rate requirements. Again, just a suggestion

1681734966064.gif

I got a few boxes of fox. They are long just like other copper monos. They are def softer than solid copper. But no complaints killing hogs. Just surprised you've got access to them with little dispute going on in that side of the planet.

I voted with 'I like TTSX'. Prior to buying my 300RUM just for some laughs, I discovered there were no dies available to reload for it, tried getting some from the US, but that failed dismally. All I could do was buy factory, so Barnes 180g TTSX was my only option. I was rather surprised at the 10 shot group going under MoA @ 100, as my experience with TSX was not at all good previously, couldn't get them to group in either my 257AI or 25-06, 300WM or 338WM at all. In the end I gave away all those bullets and they weren't cheap either.
I also tried the 165g TTSX in 300RUM and they shot just as good as the 180's, so very impressed. Took a few deer for meat with them both and never kept one in, so have no examples of fired bullets.

Cheers.