Federal Trophy Copper vs Barnes TTSX

ARCaveman

Hello everyone, if this has already been covered I apologize but I can't find it anywhere. Just wondering if anyone has experience with Federal's Trophy Copper bullets. Especially compared to other monolithic bullets such as the TTSX or Hornady's GMX. I'm looking at switching to copper mainly for hunting whitetails and elk. Thanks for any help.

I have shot a few 150 grain ones through a factory M70 Winchester in 7mm Remington.
I would not hesitate to use the Trophy Copper in any situation that I would use a Barnes or any other monolithic.
I would not expect much variation in performance between the monolithic bullets. I use Barnes usually, but would go with what best in my rifle.

Your welcome. Though, that was not much information on my part.
These shot well enough in this rifle that I bought a few boxes.

any info for me at this point is great honestly, i'm going to try them and see how they shoot. Barnes ttsx bullets shoot great for me but the federals are substantially cheaper.

Hello everyone, if this has already been covered I apologize but I can't find it anywhere. Just wondering if anyone has experience with Federal's Trophy Copper bullets. Especially compared to other monolithic bullets such as the TTSX or Hornady's GMX. I'm looking at switching to copper mainly for hunting whitetails and elk. Thanks for any help.

What are you shooting them out of?
Barnes 120TTSX works great in the 6.5 Creedmoor and the 260, have also gotten great accuracy in a 7mm08 over 50 grains Big Game.
Have heard good things about the 7mm 145 LRX and there's a thread going on results with the Federal 7mm 155 grain TLR.
Good luck!

My main rifles are a X-Bolt Hell's Canyon in .308 for deer and a Model 70 in 300 wsm for elk. I've taken a couple deer with the Barnes ttsx 150 grain and had great results. But since in my neck of the woods we're talking $65/box as compared to $35 for the Federal TC

In my understanding, the Trophy Copper (which is the Nosler E-tip, renamed and with relief grooves) and the GMX are copper ALLOY bullets, which harden them compared to the pure copper of the Barnes. They don't foul as much, but they also might not open as easily, either. Or, conversely, they might retain their petals in an impact whereas a Barnes might shed its petals. If they shoot for you, then great, but be mindful of your shot distance, as they will most likely not open dramatically at long range.

No sir not really a long range guy. Growing up hunting the Arkansas hills the farthest shots you get are maybe 100 yrs. But since I've been making yearly trips out west I've dedicated myself to extending my range. I'm currently comfortable out to 400yrds but definitely not what most guys on here consider long range (hopefully one day).

I bought some of the 165 grain Trophy Copper 308 Winchester factory loads to try also. These are for an AR-10.
The 150's in the 7mm Remington impressed me enough as to grouping to try these 308's. I plan to try the 150 grain version in the AR-10 also.
I have not chronographed any of these.

I have not been able to test it on actual game, but I bought some for my Savage 300 Win Mag. Sighting in at 100 yds, I got a 1/2 inch group. I live/hunt in MD, so I can't use that rifle for deer hunting. I bought it for moose hunting in Maine, just haven't been selected in their lottery yet.