Barnes TSX bullets...

BrandonA

Has anyone tried these out and had good results? The local gunshop/guide around here is really trying to sell me on these as I'm getting into reloading. I have heard a lot of good about Accubonds and Wildcats on this board, but not much on the TSX's. I think it's just because he could be a barnes shop or whatever is the reason he's pushing these so hard.... Opinions? (going to be shot through a 300 rum but not that it matters)

Yup good bullets! Shot 2 hogs 1 @ 135yds in the neck and the other behind the shoulder @ 220 yds. both dropped like a sack of potatoes. Also shot a management 5yr 8pt in the neck @ 175yds. Shooting a Tikka T3 .270wsm 130gr tsx. Custom loads from Conley Precision http://www.cpcartridge.com/ .. All bullets made a 3/4" exit. Tikka shoot'em about 3/4" groups @ 100.....

Have been reloading for over 30 years, the smallest 3 shot group I have ever shot was done with 180 grn Barnes TSX from a Remington 300 RUM LSS. I don't know how they would perform at 700+ yards but I would think that from 0 yards to about 500 yards they would be hard to beat.

I have had good results with the TXS bullets. I could never get the original Barnes X bullets to shoot well, but the TXS's are quite accurate out of my rifles. Have killed several critters with them, hogs, sheep, elk, deer....... excellent terminal performance on all counts.

There are many other excellent bullet choices out there as well. Try them all as time and budget allow, but don't be afraid to get a box of TXS's. Chances are they will perform well for you.

Excellent bullets! Browning A-bolt Stainless Stalker 7mm Remington Mag, with 150 grain bullets seated .05 off lands. My load is 66.5 grains of RL-22 with a velocity of 3125 FPS. My average group size during testing was .68"

jwp475,

[ QUOTE ]
My longest kill with the TSX is a one shot kill on an Antelope at 777 yards.

[/ QUOTE ]

You did not recuperate the bullet, right? How was the exit hole?

The wound channel and the exit hole looked ( as best I could tell) to be identical to the one that I killed at 280 yards.Ian M. Has used the TSX on deer out to 700 yards ot of a 308 win. The TSX seem to be light years ahead of the old X's in both accuracy and terminal perforamnce.They have been as accurate in my rfle as any bullet includinr the 190 grain SMK

TSX= Phenomenal bullet! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

I can testify what a 140 TSX can do!

I reloaded for a buddy of mine last year. It was so close to hunting season and he had just bought a new Sako 75 in 7 RUM. All we came up with is a load with RL25 launcing the 140 TSX at a sedate 3300 fps. We took it elk hunting and on the second day he took a shot at a running cow elk in the timber. 125 yrds and she folded like a cheap suit. When we got up to her......suprise there was another cow elk behind the dead one!!! This one had a broken hip. She got up hobbled around trying to run away and another guy in our group finished her. So the "little" 140 tsx at mv of 3300 fps went through 2 cow elk (shoulder shot in/out on the first btw) and was never found! Later that season he had a second elk tag and he dropped a calf at 446 yards. Again no TSX found and even at that range internal damage was phenomenal!!!!! This year he wants me to up the load a bit since we have plenty of time.

I shot 225 triples in a Weatherby 338/378 with awesome accuracy. You will not usually find these bullets left behind in the animal. I also use them in my 6mm and 300RUM.

I have shot several deer, hogs and two coyotes with Barnes bullets. I have not shot anything with TSXs yet because I am still shooting the old school Barnes X. I shoot them in a 25-06, 270 and 300 RSAUM. I'll try to get some pics posted of my last kill with a 140 gr Barnes X out of my 300 RSAUM at 3211 fps.

413176.JPG

413177.JPG

391604.JPG

391605.JPG

From top, entrance wound, exit wound, .257 Barnes X 75 gr impact velocity of 3400+fps, second view of .257 Barnes X. The 75 gr bullet weights 74.6 grs now. Just fyi.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.