Comparing Barnes TTSX and TSX Bullet Performance

pmh-usa

A. I would like to get feedback from those that HAVE compared impact performance of the tipped vs. the non-tipped Barnes Triple-Shock bullets. As much as possible looking for bullets of near or equal weight compared for expansion, penetration, and accuracy. I'm getting ready to expand my horizons so to speak across several different calibers that I've loaded with conventional bullets and want to avoid as much wasted effort and $.

B. Regarding the LRX line, is the difference from the TTSX only in ballistic characteristics of the bullet? Or are there terminal differences such as lowered required impact velocities needed for expansion?

On question B, no, the LRX is designed to expand down to 1600 fps while the ttsx and tsx are designed to expand down to 1800 fps. i have verified the 1600 fps requirement, in-fact, my testing leads me to believe that the 280 grain Barnes LRX will expand down to 1500 fps and i plan to do more testing with that bullet this summer.

I cant help on question a, as i only have on game experience with the ttsx and lrx.

Riley

The TSX has been the only barnes bullet that I have used and I have used it quite a bit. The only time that I have used the TTSX is on an Oryx. I used a 140 gr TTSX out of a 7 RUM and it was a one shot kill but it didnt expand a lot but it got the job done.

I have used the 100 gr TSX out of my 25-06 for the better part of 7 years. All my shots have been one shot kills on mule deer as that is all that I have hunted with that round. I would say that it expanded to about the size of a dime or nickel on the exit. Which for that small of a bullet is not too bad.

I actually perfer the TSX in my 25-06 because I could not find an accurate load with the 100 gr TTSX.

I will probably be trying the 280 gr LRX in my 338 LM here soon.

A. I would like to get feedback from those that HAVE compared impact performance of the tipped vs. the non-tipped Barnes Triple-Shock bullets. As much as possible looking for bullets of near or equal weight compared for expansion, penetration, and accuracy. I'm getting ready to expand my horizons so to speak across several different calibers that I've loaded with conventional bullets and want to avoid as much wasted effort and $.

B. Regarding the LRX line, is the difference from the TTSX only in ballistic characteristics of the bullet? Or are there terminal differences such as lowered required impact velocities needed for expansion?

I presently have and shoot all three of the bullets mentioned. I can give first testimony on the terminal performance of a 145 LRX. I had complete penetration on a doe that was at about 300 yards. The deer was facing me head on. The shot entered at the front shoulder, drilled down and through, and exited through the left hind quarter. Ballistically, the LRX, at least in my opinion , is one of the most accurate bullets I have ever fired. They are quite long as compared to it's cup and core counterparts in any caliber. This caliber mentioned was in 7mm, and namely, a 7 STW rifle.
As to TSX performance, my sons seven Mag, loves the 140 TSX. At the same time I shot the doe with the LRX, we both shot together at a pair of distant deer. He was shooting his TSX, and at the shot, both deer collapsed. His was a broadside shot, through both shoulders, DRT.
Theses bullets are here to stay, and I hope they do. I started shooting them, in light of possible " lead ban ". Wince then, I have enjoyed both accuracy, and terminal performance.

Thanks Guys, I really appreciate the feedback. Sounds like the LRX could also be used for lower velocity rounds or reduced velocity rounds at shorter ranges. I know that Barnes says that you can load them way of the lands - generally, how far back do you load yours?

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.