Carbon fiber wrapped barrels

How long is your 6.5 PRC barrel ? And donyou have a long shank or regular? I was looking at AG stocks last night and CarbonSix barrels. Thanks.
You have exactly what I am looking at building.I did not understand the shank question though.
It's a Proof 26" barrel, and I don't know about shanks (except my own :) ) I provided the key info to AG stocks (Proof 26" CF barrel, SR3 action, Wyatt's PRC Mag and Hawkins Precision M5 Oberndorf bottom metal). AG nailed it for a perfect fit = no inletting. Easy assembly with a BigHorn action wrench, barrel vise and my long handle torque wrench. My next build I plan to go with a DBM and magazines that stick out minimally from the stock. PS I chose the AG Visigoth CF stock. :)

Winchester model 59 shotguns had some carbon fiber wrapped on them. They made them starting in 59. So about 60 yrs or so ago. I always wanted one of them because I liked the model 50 alot and the 59 is very similar but has the carbon barrel wrap. I don't really know if they are better in any way but I like how they look and will use them again on my hunting rifles. Might try one on a 1000 yard match gun just to say I did.
Shep

Last edited:
Here is the equation for heat transfer. You'll notice M is mass and increases the amount of heat needed. The more mass, the more heat needed to raise the temperature of said mass. In other words, the more steel, the longer it takes to absorb and transfer.
3614C453-8B7B-454C-BAE8-985FDFA1DBBF.jpeg

Here is the equation for heat transfer. You'll notice M is mass and increases the amount of heat needed. The more mass, the more heat needed to raise the temperature of said mass. In other words, the more steel, the longer it takes to absorb and transfer.
View attachment 223782

This equation alone does not account(account may be the incorrect term. It does not show the entire picture) for the entire heat transfer process of a rifle cartridge going bang, giving the heat to the barrel, and give it off to it's surroundings. It also does not account for the time heat takes form the inside to the outside of the barrel. Which is why I did not want to get sucked into this.

This matters

As does this.

View attachment 223782

Where Q dot equations are most helpful is in heat exchanger processes. Typically in a constant add/subtract heat flow system, like the Radiator/coolant system(very complicated and involved) of your car or a steam power plant(easier due to temps in and out of the heat exchange being measured and flows typically being measured).

Your equation is a Q equation with no time. Q dot m dot has time.

Where Q dot equations are most helpful is in heat exchanger processes. Typically in a constant add/subtract heat flow system, like the Radiator/coolant system(very complicated and involved) of your car or a steam power plant(easier due to temps in and out of the heat exchange being measured and flows typically being measured).
I'm starting a new thread cause I enjoy this stuff. We all learn when we don't agree. Good to find our blind spots.

OP, I have had 6 carbons and many steels. I'd only use a carbon if the weight stopped me from hunting. Good luck Sir

There are two ways to figure out the true total heat transfer rate of a carbon barrel. Measure multiple heat up and cool down rates with trying to keep comparison of shot string times consistent between the steel and the carbon barrels or get the carbon barrel manufacturers to give you their thermal diffusivity numbers which they won't. That is after all one of the things they spend r and d money on.

I am still in the who cares camp. I use carbon barrels because they are lighter. A 26" number 4 steel weighs 4lbs. A 26" proof carbon weighs 3lbs, a CA arms weighs 3lbs, a Carbon six weighs 3lbs, HCA weighs 2.75 and Fierce weighs 2.5lbs. I have had all shoot extremely well.

Fluting a barrel = cooler temps and longer life... thats what they said in the 90's

Cryo treat a barrel = longer barrel life

Moly coating bullets makes almost no pressure in the barrel extending life x times longer.

I think the claims of a cooler barrel and longer life matter to people that are investing twice as much in a product and hoping to get twice the performance.

Carbon barrels are light* they are stiff* and they look cool*. Many of them also seem to shoot well*. If that makes you happy and you have the money by all means go forth and be happy. I just see lots of creedmoorish hype wrapped around these barrels.

IMO. You want the weight in the barrel and action. Felt recoil and the ability to shoot long shot strings. If 6.5 PRC would have been around years ago i would have had one made. I have a couple of custom hunting 26 inch stainless fluted. ER Shaw in 257 Roberts AI, Shilen 270 AI, and 308. In the medium weight varmint. they are all very accurate.

CF for the weight has less barrel whip. I just like less felt recoil and not coming off the target after pulling the trigger.

IMO. You want the weight in the barrel and action. Felt recoil and the ability to shoot long shot strings. If 6.5 PRC would have been around years ago i would have had one made. I have a couple of custom hunting 26 inch stainless fluted. ER Shaw in 257 Roberts AI, Shilen 270 AI, and 308. In the medium weight varmint. they are all very accurate.

CF for the weight has less barrel whip. I just like less felt recoil and not coming off the target after pulling the trigger.

Not sure what your point was with this post. I've got sub 9 lb 30 cals I can spot shots with. Carbon barrels, good brakes, and the right stock.

Just looked up the contours for steel barrels if anyone is interested:

- Brux #4 unfinished at 27" is listed at 3.5 lbs, after chambering and fluting you'd be **** close at 26" vs a proof (pretty sure Krieger, Benchmark are very similar as well)
- Bartlein #4 is totally different, and is 4.5 lbs

*If someone wanted to save money and still come in at a similar weight, the Brux wouldn't be a bad option. A bunch of options in stocks with the smaller diameter barrel as well.

Just looked up the contours for steel barrels if anyone is interested:

- Brux #4 unfinished at 27" is listed at 3.5 lbs, after chambering and fluting you'd be **** close at 26" vs a proof (pretty sure Krieger, Benchmark are very similar as well)
- Bartlein #4 is totally different, and is 4.5 lbs

*If someone wanted to save money and still come in at a similar weight, the Brux wouldn't be a bad option. A bunch of options in stocks with the smaller diameter barrel as well.
I have actual barrel weights. The steel barrels I've had are always heavier than listed on the sites. I personally would never go smaller than what most call a #4. Some like Kreiger will not gaurantee their barrels if you flute them.