Carbon fiber wrapped barrels

For CF barrels, my experience is limited to Proof. I have both a pre-fit (Tikka), as well as a blank that was chambered by a smith. I don't sit at the bench much, but when doing load development and bench shooting, both barrels have shot under .5 MOA on numerous occasions. Love the weight, stiffness (esp to support a suppressor), and I don't have any issues with heat for my shooting. They've also proven to be tough in the field during falls, etc. I like them enough that I have another on order.

Bartlein's CFW barrels are the exact same contour profile as their steel barrels similarly marked. ie a CFW #4 is same as a steel #4 contour. So no worries about not fitting the stock if you swap them. (Assuming same shank length)

Look at a fluted #5 vs a carbon? A fluted #5 will be very close to a carbon in the same lengths. Maybe lighter. Then you won't have to worry about the heat/insulation of the carbon. If you must have carbon check out hells canyon armory for a carbon barrel they look good and seem to shoot good.
Not to argue, but I just machined down a #5 brux contour 26" 28 nosler tonight for carbon fiber and lost 10+ ounces. I love #5s but carbon can be much lighter. I'll let ya know if it shoots as good as a normal barrel :)

Example: The barrelled action, minus bolt and trigger was 79.9oz when I started. I still have some machining to go on the muzzle section and it weighs 72oz.

Do you know what that #5 weighted before you machined it down?

Some people love em some people hate em. I personally wont be spending $800+ on a barrel before machining. Add to that, that the tech is still relatively new and evolving. I don't like to be a Guinea pig with my money. If you go with a heavy carbon barrel then switch to a skinny un wrapped in the future, the only down side is looks.
I bought my Proof CF prefit barrel from Stocky's for $829. It is machined perfect for my SR3 action. It was in stock and I received it 4 days later. The result is 0.4 MOA.
No machining by a smith needed, and I assembled the rifle myself In 20 minutes. With 0.0001% accuracy from high tech CNC metal working machines, prefit barrels are astonishing.

Do you know what just the barrel weighted? A Brux #5 weights 4 pounds with a 1.250 2.75 tenon according to there sight, that's unfinished So it needs a chamber and they will cut an small portion off before chambering I believe correct me if I'm wrong, a Sendero 26" long is 3lbs 3oz with a 1.20 2.5" tenon. I have gunsmiths telling me with a twisted flutting we can at least match the weight of a carbon. If they are wrong and I wouldn't end up even close to the weight I would like to know. Also who is wrapping the Brux barrel for you? Do you do this?

Last edited:
What I want in all my rifles is reliable accuracy, and for me, a Carbon Fiber barrel was a great discovery. For my first hunting rifle build (+ some range shooting), I wanted a lighter rifle. After a lot of research, I decided to go with a Proof Research CF barrel and a AG Composites CF stock to reduce weight. The 8.2# gun is a 300 PRC with a Fat B gen 3 muzzle brake. Following Proof's recommended break in, I shot two 3-shot groups and two 5-shot groups at 100 yards. Each group was in the 0.4MOA range. The main pros of CF barrels are weight and stiffness. I believe it.
I do have a custom Bartlein ss barrel in my unbraked Remington 700 BDL 7mm mag rifle, and it also is a sub 0.5MOA hunting rifle. My bench rifle is a 15# MPA 6.5PRC with an M24 ss barrel. This rifle exceeds its 0.3MOA guarantee and is incredibly accurate. IMO, the answers to all of your CF questions are positive, and my next hunting rifle build will also have a CF barrel :)
How long is your 6.5 PRC barrel ? And donyou have a long shank or regular? I was looking at AG stocks last night and CarbonSix barrels. Thanks.
You have exactly what I am looking at building.I did not understand the shank question though.

I bought my Proof CF prefit barrel from Stocky's for $829. It is machined perfect for my SR3 action. It was in stock and I received it 4 days later. The result is 0.4 MOA.
No machining by a smith needed, and I assembled the rifle myself In 20 minutes. With 0.0001% accuracy from high tech CNC metal working machines, prefit barrels are astonishing.
Me too. Got an origin 6.5 creed 24" prefit from evolved Ballistics. Torque it on 80ft/lb. check headspace. Set perfect. Barrel weighed 2#14oz. Proof stated 2#15oz. Been shooting sub .4" at 100 pretty easy bedded in a manners T elite carbon. First round hits at 650,764,978,1055. I'm happy! Mine does shoot the best for about 5 shots then groups open up a little. Let it cool. Back to clover leaf size groups. It's a Hunting rifle. Haven't needed more that 1 shot in about 10 years, it can always happen though!

I run a suppressor on my hunting guns, have a 308 and a 6.5x280ai both have proof carbon barrels one is a sendero light the other full sendero. I wanted the stiffest barrel possible with the least amount of weight, carbon won hands down and both shoot sub 1/2 moa no regrets and they look pretty cool to boot.

Attachments

• IMG_20200717_145638.jpg
    IMG_20200717_145638.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 215
I have several carbon proofs and built a few for friends/clients. I can easily shoot a 10 round string with any of them and not see significant walk. Since it is really a hunting based barrel for me, I am super happy with 5 shot strings and accuracy. Contour for weight they have been excellent and personally the look is much preferred and they easily handle suppressors and brakes.
As far as the stock issue, rubbish. A larger opening has no ill effect on a barrels performance, it is the opposite. It may not look good to you but it certainly will not hurt anything. I prefer a chassis set up and the channel is massive in those so the carbon looks quite good in there. It's just personal preference.

Do you know what just the barrel weighted? A Brux #5 weights 4 pounds with a 1.250 2.75 tenon according to there sight, that's unfinished So it needs a chamber and they will cut an small portion off before chambering I believe correct me if I'm wrong, a Sendero 26" long is 3lbs 3oz with a 1.20 2.5" tenon. I have gunsmiths telling me with a twisted flutting we can at least match the weight of a carbon. If they are wrong and I wouldn't end up even close to the weight I would like to know. Also who is wrapping the Brux barrel for you? Do you do this?
I can tell you that I've never done a before and after but I have been made to believe the same thing. I have yet got a fluted barrel back of any kind that reduces as much weight as a carbon. Now if you go pencil thin then cut away maybe but you will lose rigidity. I ya e one of those and the first shot or two is good then starts to drift off like a joe Biden thought. It works great for hunting but at the range you wait for it to cool alot

My (limited) understanding is that you can most certainly match the weight of carbon with an all steel barrel—the question is whether they would be equal in terms of holding accuracy over the same prolonged string of fire.

For a hunting rifle where you need 3-5 accurate shots AT MOST in a short period (not a hot p-dog town application), the "longer strings of fire" may not be a use case that matters.

I can tell you that all the spiral fluted barrels I get in a number 4 contour weigh slightly less than a proof sendero light. Probably depends on who does the fluting. How deep and wide the flutes are and how much twist is on them will determine the weight savings. I like them both. And carbon fiber is very pretty to my eye. I also like the look of the varmint size barrel on my rifles. Probably because I'm a comp shooter and all my barrels are fat. I doubt you would be unsatisfied either way you go. Pick what makes your heart rate go up when you see it. That's the one you really want.
Shep