Carbon fiber wrapped barrels

Just plain wrong. A diamond has the highest thermoconductivity rating in the universe.
It is pure carbon tightly compacted. CF as manufactured is not nearly so dense but still the same material. Google will easily show you are wrong.

A diamond and carbon fiber+epoxy are not the same thing.
Screenshot_20201106-105120_Samsung Internet.jpg

Just plain wrong. A diamond has the highest thermoconductivity rating in the universe.
It is pure carbon tightly compacted. CF as manufactured is not nearly so dense but still the same material. Google will easily show you are wrong.

The correct answer is: it depends on what is mixed with the carbon fiber. So, you'd have to know what the mixture of a Proof barrel, a Christiansen Arms barrel, etc. is to determine its ability to insulate or conduct heat?

"So...Is Carbon Fiber a good heat conductor?
As usual the answer is "it depends." The short answer is NO not when regular carbon fiber is made up in regular epoxy and expected to conduct heat across the thickness. IF a highly carbonized pan fiber with graphite or diamond added, is measured for heat transmission in the length of the fiber it is very good and can rival and exceed copper. Graphite is a common material for heat exchangers.

Other carbon materials such as diamond or some graphites, such as pyrolytic graphite, are stellar and can be 5 times better than copper.

There has been research to improve the thermal conduction of glass fibre composite by adding graphene. A 50% improvement was noted. The Abstract is available here. You can also pay to read the complete article."

Some people love em some people hate em. I personally wont be spending $800+ on a barrel before machining. Add to that, that the tech is still relatively new and evolving. I don't like to be a Guinea pig with my money. If you go with a heavy carbon barrel then switch to a skinny un wrapped in the future, the only down side is looks.
Can't really say carbon fiber wrapped barrels are still new and evolving since proofs been doing it almost 9yrs now. I would in say in 9yrs they've got pretty much dialed in. Now maybe another manufacturer thats new to it then you've got a point.

I recently received my first carbon barrel. I had Carbon six spin it up as a shouldered prefit for a Tikka using my 264 MHC reamer (6.5x55 Improved) in a 7.5 Twist at 21" Long, sendero profile, .830 muzzle. Weighed in at 39.7 ounces. My reasoning for going with Carbon was I wanted it to be lightweight and be able to handle a suppressor. (My stamp came in Today!!) Suppressor mounts like the area 419 hellfire I'm using are usually 1" or more in diameter and look much better with the fatter barrels to me. I also like how much shoulder is left with 5/8-24 Threads. A similar weight steel barrel would have to use smaller threads like 9/16-24 and I just don't like the idea of going that small. I haven't shot it yet but I have high hopes.

In Bryan Litz's book, Modern Advancements in Long Range Shooting I came away with the following info on the comparisons between steel and CF barrels.

1. CF barrels heat up slower but cools down slower.
2. CF is not stiffer than equal diameter steel. Both steel and CF of equal diameters were compared and when a weight is placed at one end of each, CF has more deflection. But this does not mean that CF is less accurate. Consistent vibration wave length is the important factor.
I would disagree with #1. They use a thin steel liner (barrel) thus heat up more quickly but cool more quickly also. Correct me if my thinking is wrong

Can't really say carbon fiber wrapped barrels are still new and evolving since proofs been doing it almost 9yrs now. I would in say in 9yrs they've got pretty much dialed in. Now maybe another manufacturer thats new to it then you've got a point.
Proof said the carbon barrel technology has been around 40 years, but I don't remember seeing it till the last decade.

I can not believe I am going to waste my time getting involved in this but there are three forms of heat transfer. Radiant heat matters. Thermal diffusivity matters. Naysayers can say what they want it just proves they know nothing of heat transfer. I am not going to claim one barrel cools or heats up faster than another because I don't know their specific proprietary properties of the different carbon/resin make ups but if you are hung on specific heat capacity/thermal conductivity it just shows you don't understand heat transfer.

In any case who cares how fast your barrel cools? The number one reason to buy a carbon barrel is to have a stiffer barrel for the weight and ultimately a lighter rifle. They are also capable of the same accuracy as a steel barrel. I will not post in this thread again. If you really care to hear about real world experiences PM me. Have a great day.

My newest Christensen barrel chambered in 300WSM
TECYzBcl.jpg

yrug0JDl.jpg

mFQSa60l.jpg

I can not believe I am going to waste my time getting involved in this but there are three forms of heat transfer. Radiant heat matters. Thermal diffusivity matters. Naysayers can say what they want it just proves they know nothing of heat transfer. I am not going to claim one barrel cools or heats up faster than another because I don't know their specific proprietary properties of the different carbon/resin make ups but if you are hung on specific heat capacity/thermal conductivity it just shows you don't understand heat transfer.

In any case who cares how fast your barrel cools? The number one reason to buy a carbon barrel is to have a stiffer barrel for the weight and ultimately a lighter rifle. They are also capable of the same accuracy as a steel barrel. I will not post in this thread again. If you really care to hear about real world experiences PM me. Have a great day.

TECYzBcl.jpg

yrug0JDl.jpg

mFQSa60l.jpg
Oh, get involved :) with regard to the barrel heating, what's your take? Btw, nice shooting. I've had good luck with CA barrels and 300wsm.

some great info thus far. I was of the understanding that a #4 contour Brux, straight fluted, is of similar weight to a proof sendero contour. Regardless, you'd be splitting hairs.

Here's some take aways from a very non-scientific perspective from my experience:

- I have both CF and steel custom barrels - both seem to shoot roughly the same accuracy for me, which is 3-5 shots either in a group or shooting different targets at distance. If a rifle won't shoot 3 shots into less than .3 moa consistently, I sell it - so very good accuracy. Most are better but just giving you an idea.

- The CF barrels do tend to heat up slower, but I would agree they seem to take just slightly longer to cool down if it's a magnum cartridge (mine are 6.5 SAUM, 300 RUM, 28 Nosler) - this is even with a barrel cooling device in the chamber. I don't think this really matters, but something I've noticed.

- The CF barrels clean up from copper fouling SIGNIFICANTLY easier than my Bartlein and Brux barrels. Sometimes 2x less patches for the same end result

- The CF barrels show a significantly larger POI shift with a suppressor mounted/without - generally I get 1-2 MOA POI shift with/without the suppressor attached. I have a Thunderbeast Ultra CB and a DeadAir TI direct thread. My steel barrels with/without are usually within a 1/4-1/2 moa of each other.

I have Hardy and Proof barrels, but if I got another one it would be an HCA barrel and probably a 7 SAUM. They seem to be a very solid barrel.

Good luck on your decision! Nice to have so many options nowadays

I don't understand the idea that less steel heats up and cools slower. Correct my line of thinking, but the bigger the heatsink, the less heat affects the temp of it. Thus, a steel bull barrel heats and cools slower. The carbon fiber is not an insulator, so it allows the heat to dissipate, adding stiffness but has nothing to do with heat transfer

Hi,
I've been looking for somebody that will Carbon Wrapped your pre-fit (existing) Blaser R8 barrels, talked to Christensen, Proof, Hells Canyon and Carbon Six with no luck.... can anybody help.

Oh, get involved :) with regard to the barrel heating, what's your take? Btw, nice shooting. I've had good luck with CA barrels and 300wsm.
In my unscientific testing it seems the manufacturer claims are true. The chamber stays cooler over shot strings. It seems the barrel is moving heat away from the chamber and radiating from the barrel quicker so the heat isn't sitting in the material (which is what happens with a high specific heat capacity material like steel). The mirage coming off the barrel is far less at the same time as the rifle is maintaining a cooler chamber. That to me backs up the claims.

TECYzBcl.jpg

yrug0JDl.jpg

mFQSa60l.jpg
Thank you Mr. Furman For reaffirmng the #1 reason for carbon fiber. That's what I said earlier, but this thread is getting waylaid into muddy & "who cares" disagreements. I like my light hunting rifle with a carbon fiber barrel that shoots 0.4MOA consistently.

Last edited:
High specific heat capacity means the material can absorb heat. We don't really desire that. I'm not sure why this thought process is perpetuated. We what the barrel to take heat and give it away.