Carbon fiber wrapped barrels

KSB209

I'm building a new rifle. I'm leaning towards a bartlein carbon fiber barrel for weight. This will be a 80-20 hunting vs target build. What are the cons and disadvantages of carbon fiber barrels?
I like the weight of the carbon but when I'm at the range how many rounds can I put down range before it heats up and isn't as accurate?
This is my first build with carbon barrel and from what I understand once the stock is built around a carbon barrel you cannot really go back to a steel barrel.
Is the barrel life that much lower then a steel barrel?
Any input on carbon vs steel would be appreciated

Some people love em some people hate em. I personally wont be spending $800+ on a barrel before machining. Add to that, that the tech is still relatively new and evolving. I don't like to be a Guinea pig with my money. If you go with a heavy carbon barrel then switch to a skinny un wrapped in the future, the only down side is looks.

I have Proof and Hells Canyon Carbon barrels and have shot some others. They shoot great, just as good as a traditional steel barrel. I've never pushed mine through a high volume in a short time but have seen other guys do it and they do seem to open up a bit more than a traditional steel barrel when subjected to a more rigorous firing schedule. The weight savings is nice and they look great. Getting a stock does leave you in the predicament of having to either get another carbon barrel, a heavy contour steel barrel, having a gap if you go to a thinner contour steel barrel or...... you get a smaller contour barrel, mix up some epoxy that closely matches the color of your stock, bed the full barrel channel and then repaint the stock to match if the epoxy doesn't match well enough for your liking after it cures

Look at a fluted #5 vs a carbon? A fluted #5 will be very close to a carbon in the same lengths. Maybe lighter. Then you won't have to worry about the heat/insulation of the carbon. If you must have carbon check out hells canyon armory for a carbon barrel they look good and seem to shoot good.

Contour vs Contour, CF is way lighter.
Weight vs weight, CF is stiffer
CF is more expensive, about 1.5-2x the price of steel, depending on brand, and other features like fluting, or Bartlein's new steel. $350-650 for high quality steel, $600-750 for CF.
Barrel life, totally depends on the cartridge. Flip a coin, no noticeable difference.
Accuracy, pretty much the same. I think more has to do with shooter ability and overall weight. Heavier rifles are easier to shoot consistently.
Barrel walk, contour vs contour, probably CF will walk a bit sooner. But weight vs weight, I would say steel will walk sooner due to stiffness.

I have a Proof CF on a 338 Edge. Just ordered a Bartlein CF yesterday for my 300 RUM because none of their suppliers had what I wanted in stock. $700 and 5-6 month wait. The Bartlein is a swap out of a Bartlein heavy Palma. Tired of a packing a heavy barreled gun. Heat isn't an issue because I don't shoot round after round when I target shoot and when I'm hunting, its usually a one or two shot deal. To each his own. If you have the cash, go for it...

Don't assume a CF barrel is lighter over steel barrel, im going through this same thing on a tikka 300WSm build for a friend.
Bartlien CF is 3.5 lbs and proof med sporter steel is 3.6 lbs same length plus the CF is 400.00 more.

Last edited:
When I first looked into them, it was stated that CF was not for weight savings, but better heat dissipation.
CF strength and the stiffness factor really depend on how it was laid up, strand orientation and the tensile stress the fibers are under when cured
What I see on barrels appears to be prepreg cloth.
Seems to me that it is more "oooh-aaaah" shiney bubble koolaid.
Admittedly, I haven't looked hard for any studies with data that compare steel vs CF barrels. IMO, the cost:benefit ratio is not yet there.

I have had great luck with my carbon barrels. I don't do crazy strings when at the range but I do shoot some enough and I've never had any issues. But I do shoot mainly the magical 6.5 creed so it is almost cheating. Weight for weight I think it's hard to beat a carbon. I have several barrels that compare in weight for length even one that lighter but they do walk much faster. My new 30 Sherman is sporting a proof 26"

It is going to be chambered in 308 because I don't want a magnum. I don't plan on heavy firing or long strings at the range and when in field 1-2 shots is all that is needed. Never had to shoot 3 times.

Check out Mikes barrel at hell canyon armory. Proably cant go wrong with any of them. Proof has been having some quality issues lately but nothing they didn't take care of as far as I know. My cousin has a 6.5x47 Carbon six and it shoots good.

What I want in all my rifles is reliable accuracy, and for me, a Carbon Fiber barrel was a great discovery. For my first hunting rifle build (+ some range shooting), I wanted a lighter rifle. After a lot of research, I decided to go with a Proof Research CF barrel and a AG Composites CF stock to reduce weight. The 8.2# gun is a 300 PRC with an SR3 action and a Fat B gen 3 muzzle brake. Following Proof's recommended break in, I shot two 3-shot groups and two 5-shot groups at 100 yards. Each group was in the 0.4MOA range. The main pros of CF barrels are weight and stiffness. Accuracy is a big bonus. I believe it.
I do have a custom Bartlein ss barrel in my unbraked Remington 700 BDL 7mm mag rifle, and it also is a sub 0.5MOA hunting rifle. My bench rifle is a 15# MPA 6.5PRC with an M24 ss barrel. This rifle exceeds its 0.3MOA guarantee and is incredibly accurate. IMO, the answers to all of your Carbon Fiber questions are positive, and my next hunting rifle build will also have a CF barrel :)

Last edited: