Carbon Wrapped Barrels

I have a few Carbons. 6.5CM, 6.5PRC, 7RM in Proofs and a Bartlien CF being chambered in a 308 for me now. Bartliens are a tad heavier than Proof because they leave more metal on the barrel than Proof does before wrapping. I've heard Proofs have a tendency to "walk" when they get hot because of this. I haven't experienced that yet but then I dont shoot long strings of fire with my CF Barrels. Personally, Rem Varmint / Sendero contour is the smallest contour I use so with that being said, a Carbon barrel in the same contour / length is going To weight less than a SS. If you want to go lighter than a RV than yes, You could Probably find a lighter SS. I just don't go that light on my Contours.

I love my carbon barrels. Can you get lighter yes. But you must think in terms of what they are for. They give you all the benefits of a heavy contour barrels without the weight. That is what they do. I get no poi shift or walking when shooting strings like a thin barrel. For one or two shots probably not a big gain. Also depends on length. A pencil thin 18" won't be bad but a thin 26" could flex a ton compared to a carbon of same length.
The thin barrel can flex a ton but the nodes it like will usually shoot great...if it's a top notch barrel. Just get hot fast.
But yes, I love my carbon barrel 300 prc, mostly for the looks admittedly, with a big brake its still sleek and clean. And looks more balanced with a can.

I have several in AR platforms and 1 ba barrel (300wm and yet untested or completed). 2 barrels being 32" ss savage magnum contour and 1 300wm 30" cf with magnum contour. 15oz less weight on the 30". For me I probable won't get another cf barrel? That being said IF I could get a 36" in cf I would just too save 1.5-2#s? The savage magnum contour is da bomb with flutes!!!!!!!

STIFFNESS -> When a barrel has vibration as a bullet passes down the bore the stiffer the barrel the lower the vibration amplitude. Wrapping a skinny barrel in carbon fiber and resin creates a VERY stiff barrel that has low vibration amplitude (less "whipping") and a much lighter barrel than an all steel barrel with the same amplitude of vibration.

So for hunting barrels that are reasonably light are either like my Browning X-Bolt Pro, as skinny barrel with fluting. Good for the first 3 shots then it heats up and and groups go from 1/2 and 3/4 MOA.

But with a good carbon fiber wrapped barrel of similar weight you should be able to shoot sub MOA groups all day.
That's with a GOOD carbon fiber wrapped barrel.

So what is a GOOD CF wrapped barrel?
Well that is a tough question. The easy part of this equation is a good quality steel barrel from a good barrel maker like Bartlein or Shilen.
The second part, the carbon fiber wrap, is tougher to decipher. WHO makes a barrel that has a uniform wrap? A wrap that won't delaminate? A wrap that is VERY stiff?

Turns out that probably the most uniform wrap is made by PROOF RESEARCH with its "Maypole wrap" that cris-crosses around the barrel on overlapping wraps. My carbon fiber SWIX cross country ski poles are helically wrapped like PROOF RESAEARCH barrels and they are very stiff and very light. But Proof has had some pesky delimitation problems, as have other CF barrel companies. This screws with accuracy - a lot.

But there is a Canadian company that, using less resin in their wrap and as a resultis able to have virtually no delimitation problems. OK, OK, his small company doesn't have the numbers of CF wrapped barrels as the big name companies in this game and maybe with a few more hundred sold it will have problems. "Ya pays yer money and ya takes yer chances." But I'd put my dineros and my bets on the Canadian company - wrapping a Bartlein barrel.

Last edited: