Carbon fiber wrapped barrels

Bartlein cf barrels are heavier than most the others because they leave more steel in the core. I have two Bart cf barrels, a 3b and a rem varm contour, both shoot well. I also have a few proofs that shoot well but have had 2 bad proofs. Have 2 hells canyon armory carbons that shoot great(2 more on order). I have 3x rock creek carbon wrapped blanks in various calibers, one is almost complete in 7-300prc. I has hoping to get that build done for hunting season, but the stock took 3 weeks longer than quoted. Here is what I'd do......contact pederson Precision, get a mullerworks blank in your desired twist and caliber. The 3 blanks I have gotten from him look fantastic and they have very little runout inside or out with the wrap.

Look at a fluted #5 vs a carbon? A fluted #5 will be very close to a carbon in the same lengths. Maybe lighter. Then you won't have to worry about the heat/insulation of the carbon. If you must have carbon check out hells canyon armory for a carbon barrel they look good and seem to shoot good.
I'm a competition benchrest shooter who has a lot of trouble getting fluted barrels to shoot really well. Would like to hear from someone who has had fluting done before buttoning, lapping, stress relieving. In most cases the Smith cuts the flutes well after a barrel is finished and no stress relieving after that.

It's a Proof 26" barrel, and I don't know about shanks (except my own :) ) I provided the key info to AG stocks (Proof 26" CF barrel, SR3 action, Wyatt's PRC Mag and Hawkins Precision M5 Oberndorf bottom metal). AG nailed it for a perfect fit = no inletting. Easy assembly with a BigHorn action wrench, barrel vise and my long handle torque wrench. My next build I plan to go with a DBM and magazines that stick out minimally from the stock. PS I chose the AG Visigoth CF stock. :)
Thanks.Im getting my choices ready to order it with two barrels.I met a guy at my Gun Range that has the same gun that shoots two calibers with same blot.Just changes barrels.He broke it down and swapped everything in less than 3 minutes and shot it dead on at 500 yards still.
Thank you for your reply and info.I appreciate it.

You cant conture a barrel before you pull the button or i guess you could but if you've ever pulled a button down 2 different dia. of steel with the exact same button and reamer you will see why.
It would really take some special and high dollar equipment to do it to a spiral fluted barrel I would think.But I'm no expert or machinist.

No its not the equipment, contured blanks are different thickness from one end to the other, so think of it as a snake swallowing a mouse.
When you pull a button through a barrel it essentially stretchs the steel so on the muzzle end less restriction bigger dia when it relaxs more stretch than the chamber end as theres mor restriction because of the bigger dia, essentially the bore will not be uniform from one end to the other.

I'm a competition benchrest shooter who has a lot of trouble getting fluted barrels to shoot really well. Would like to hear from someone who has had fluting done before buttoning, lapping, stress relieving. In most cases the Smith cuts the flutes well after a barrel is finished and no stress relieving after that.
I agree with you on accuracy issues with some fluted barrels, especially spiral fluted barrels. Following :)

I know there's some that will only spiral flute.
My only experience is with a 20 BRAI that shot a .078 group with a spiral fluted button barrel.

I went on a antelope hunt 2 years ago used my .270
A friend of my nephew was using a 26 nosler. Very interesting round. I was working alot of overtime so I decided to buy a new gun . Went with a Cooper firearms Carbon fiber barrel in a 28 nosler tiped it off with a swarovski X5I. Went to North Dakota this year on a mule deer hunt. Gun was very easy to cary. And did the job when the time came.

For your interest, here's the words of fiftydriver after accuracy testing the new 7 Allen he just built for me with a Bartlein carbon 5R 8-twist in their new harder proprietary stainless. Pushing 150 Badlands Bulldozer 2's at 3,670 fps:

"I gave the rifle a good test drive and warmed the barrel up to check for any point of impact shifting. I did not see any point of impact shifting but I did notice that after around the 5th shot I did start to notice groups opening up a bit. Nothing dramatic but it was noticed."

"From a cold back to cool barrel it stacked the rounds on top of each other."

"Once dialed in, it was relatively easy to hit 1/3 moa sized targets at basically 900 yards."

I'm happy. :)

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    57.1 KB · Views: 118
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    61.2 KB · Views: 107
  • image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    57.1 KB · Views: 123
Good points. Who else has an opinion? I'm really interested in the weight or lack of. As long as I can get similar bullet counts out of the barrel I'll be the guinea pig
Well it's a personal preference I'd say! They look cool but are expensive. I think a stainless barrel would hold up to abuse (unforeseen incidents) better. I don't shoot to get barrels hot so can't help you there. They are definitely just as accurate. I have a 7 mm wsm and a 6 creedmoor. Both are as accurate as me but probably far more accurate than I can shoot. Both shoot ragged holes. I don't know how new the technology is as carbon weave has been in aeronautical applications a long time and I think Christenson had carbon barrels out at least 20 years ago. To sum it all up I'd just say it's totally up to you on aesthetics! Me personally I'll take a cool looking spiral or wrought iron fluted stainless barrel which again is just for looks to me! Hope this helps just my unbiased opinion!