Canyon rifle vs. self built

coyotelite

If I had the $ I'd buy a canyon rifle today but being a thrifty (cheap) kind of guy I have questions.

I looked at the parts used to build the canyon rifle then priced them seperate. I then went to southern precisions website and priced the gunsmith work. I add all this up and it comes to right about $2500. Now that's with a rem 700 action not an aftermarket with a $1200 price tag but the price does include having the action trued and a DE style recoil lug installed.

Add in a few other items like a rail, cheek piece and stock modifications and lets say an even $3000.

Is there a reason to spend the extra $1120 for the canyon rifle? Might mean a extra year of saving but if the differance is that big it may be worth it.

I've no way to judge your skills at assembling all the parts. I'm kind of a menace with tools myself.

I've also got no way to know the quality of the machines you have access to.

There is something to be said for repetition, even with comparable skills, and equipment.

There are quite a few Canyon Rifles out there, and I've not heard of one yet that didn't perform.

There is something to be said for pride of accomplishment, when you do something yourself, but my 2 cents is you'll actually be up and running, at the level you desire in a shorter period ordering the rifle.

Oh make no mistake. The only part of the build I will do is the glass bedding. Everything else will be machined and assembled by hart barrels and southern precision. From the reviews I've read his work is top notch.

I have a Defensive Edge rifle although it is not the Canyon rifle. It is a shooter without a doubt. I know if the rifle had not lived up to its guarantee Shawn would have made it right. With multiple hands working on a rifle the waters get a little muddy sometimes when things aren't quite right. Good results can be had in many different ways. Good luck with your build however you decide to go.

Nothing wrong with the Canyon rifles, But with good parts and a good smith you can have a rifle that is just as accurate at less cost.

The problem that I have found with big shops is normally there are multiple people working on rifles and you never know how well it will be done. In most cases the gunsmith that built the reputation
is no longer doing the work because he is to busy running the business.

With a good smith like Shawn , Chad, Kirby and some others working It from start to finish the outcome will be better most of the time.

J E CUSTOM

The guys are turning out a quality product. Without being critical of Hart in the least, I think the DE Canyon Rifle is tough to match.

The idea is to buy all of the parts then have southern precision do all the machining and assembly. There is no doubt in my mind that if I bought a canyon rifle in 338 edge+p that it would be everything I could ever want but being the penny pincher I am I'm weighing the pros and cons. I just don't know if the added $1100 I'd pay would get my $1100 more performance. My parts list is a mirror of the canyon rifle with the exception of the action but I would have the action trued by southern precision prior to the build. Other than that I'm using all the same parts. The outcome should be a rifle that performs as good for less than 3/4 the price. Unless I'm overlooking something.

Nothing wrong with going that way. The per centages in my experience favor better outcomes, with better smith's. It would be worth $1100 to me to call in the order, and know everything up front. Certainly you would hear no criticism from me for doing it the way you propose. I hope it works well for you.

IMO, if you are going to fork out the cash for a custom build you should use a custom action as well. The advantages are numerious and you'll be happier in the long run, especially if you are wanting a 338 Edge or other magnum cartridge. Stiller, Bat, Surgeon, Raptor, and several others are leaps and bounds better than an accurized 700. But, that also depends on your definition of accuracy and what you want out of the rifle. Like many other things in life, you get what you pay for. Good luck.

Lets see a list with prices of how you came up to your total. Then maybe we can shed some light on a few things. Your figure sounds low to me.

Jeff

I have a few Defensive edge rifles and after seeing/ and or shooting mine my friends/ acquaintances have had them built as well. I have never seen one that wouldnt shoot outstanding. The fit and finish of a DE rifle is one thing that would set them apart (in my opinion). The bedding job is the best looking I have ever seen, the cerakote paint is flawless and the stock/ paint work is as good as it gets! ( in my opinion from all I have seen). These things add up. Were they included in your other estimate?

I revised it a bit but here is my list. If I am missing anything please let me know so I can add it.

rem 700 action. $450

Hart fluted barrel. $470

Bottom metal/mag. $350

Machine work including*
chambering, trueing of*
The action, new recoil
Lug and bolt face. $900
Threading barrel and
Installing the brake.
Bead blast and cerakote.

Stock. $600

Assembly. $300

Total. $3070

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.