Canyon rifle vs. self built

Two things to keep in mind... I don't think you can get the Edge+P unless you buy a complete rifle from Defensive Edge and, if it doesn't shoot well or there are functional problems, who is going to cover the warranty?

Good point. The regular edge is fine with me. If I decide to buy the canyon rifle I'd buy the +p. the warranty question is one I'd have to ask the smith about. These are all the pros and cons I'm weighing before deciding which way to go.

I have seen many times a superb rifle in classifieds here going for abvious less than to build. Many high quality with great group and low end count.

I of all people understand wanting to do stuff yourself and not to pay more then you need to for something. You have left a few items out:

Stock Painting
M16 extractor
2nd ejector
ejection port flaring
trigger work
HD firing pin spring
2 flush cups in stock
HD bipod mount

Last but not least I though a lot about this comment before putting it out. I do not want to come off sounding condescending etc, but I truly believe that no matter who puts your stuff together (no matter how good they are) it just won't be like one of ours. While there are a number of great builders out there (several on this site) you can pick one of our rifles out of the crowd. This is mostly a fit and finish issue, a lot of guys build really good shooting rifles and the fit and finish is good, if you look at a DE rifle and most of the others you will see the detail differences. If you don't you will be paying just as much for it from them.

I would recommend that no matter who you get it from, get it all don't at one place. Good luck with your project.

Thanks for the input Sean. Right now it's a toss up but the added info from guys here on stuff I'll need is pushing me toward the canyon rifle. Seems like $ well spent!

You have to decided how accurate your rifle you want it to be.

Shot 5 shots at 500 yards around 5-8 inch group
or
5 shots under 3-4 inch group.

Most of the time, the "self-built" is better than the factory rifle.
Ensure that you got everything in order to build a rifle and the correct prices on everything.

You also decide how long will it take to build the rifle? 4 months or 8-10 months?

About a year ago nice canyon rifle in 338 on her for sale.Nice one hole group with it hard for me to pass up.But since I was broke and out of work it helped me, still wanted that rifle

That's like asking Ford or Chevy. Only the person asking the question is qualified to answer it.

Everyone's experience varies. I have never had any business dealings with Defensive Edge.

This is not intended to be a reflection on Defensive Edge, but more of a cautionary tale based on my personal experience. When I was new to precision shooting I bought the hype about a popular gun smith on "the hide" forum. He in turn didn't follow the spec sheet, gave out my personal contact information which one of his cronies, who in turn posted on the web, then held my rifles hostage.

I paid the full agreed upon amount. When my rifles came in they were both rusted, the barrel channel was grossly off center on the new Manners T5A stock among other issues.

I was so disgusted with the experience I paid to have the deficiencies corrected and sold them at a loss. I asked for proof targets (as I was afraid to shoot them given how shady he had been) and he provided a pdf that did not match his accuracy claims or guarantee. The email that accompanied the targets said not to contact him, but his lawyer, if I had any problem... nice.

While waiting I bought a new barrel, surgeon 591R and McRee chassis. I had the gun up and running about the time I got my rusted guns back from the smith and paid a around 3/5ths as much as the smith had (stolen) charged me.

My gun is a consistent one hole shooter at 100, and hits steel just fine (never measured beyond 100). I couldn't be happier. The guns he built have changed hands 3 and 4 times respectively...

Everyone's experience varies. I have never had any business dealings with Defensive Edge....

Dave, after having many dealings with Defensive Edge, many that involved thousands of dollars, along with personally shooting canyon Rifles, as well as owning and shooting other rifles from Defensive Edge. I think it is safe to say that it is very unfortunate you did not deal with Defensive Edge first. I feel you would be happy and still shooting an awesome rifle if you had.

This thread is comparing Canyon rifles to self built. I can shed some light on that too. I do build my own and all are very accurate rifles. But I continue to own a DE rifle and also have lead my son there for his next custom that is under contract now. Sometimes if you want one of the real McCoy's you have to go to the source.

Jeff

[snip] I think it is safe to say that it is very unfortunate you did not deal with Defensive Edge first. [snip]

No doubt.

I made every effort to be clear, that my experience in no way had anything to do with Defensive Edge.

My point was a self built rifle can be done that is heirloom quality, that one can take pride in having spec'd it out to exactly as desired and doing the final assembly with one's own hands.

Only the OP can decide which route is best for him.

We all make our choices and pay our money.

Having had a crap'tastic experience in the past makes me biased to doing my own custom builds and subbing out the barrel chambering only. If my first experience been as positive as yours I might never have known just how good a rifle I can put together.

Although it is admittedly less expensive to manage the build one's self; when it comes to building precision rifles it is not always about cost, but more about the final product, accurate results. I can say that without reservation I am 100% satisfied with my efforts.

- Dave

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.