Hells Canyon Barrels vs Proof

I have owned both Proof and HCA carbon barrels. Both shot the same. I wouldn't say that one is so much better than the other. Only thing i don't like about HCA is the carbon wrap is touching the break. There is no way a carbon fiber barrel is more accurate than a steel barrel. I still own two Proof barrels for some hunting rigs. And the 7 saum barrel (24" Proof) shot a 3" group at 1K on paper last month.

Another thought, would less resin allow more resonance through the fiber? That would affect ballistics as well.

So, let's jump into the "overthink" category.
Less resin could lead to more resonance. But that's probably why the turned barrel portion is larger on the HCA. But less resin also leads to better heat dissipation/cooling.
The point that's been made throughout the forum is high quality barrels that are properly installed tend to shoot very well. This is regardless of material (CM, sst, cf).

It was stated that Hell's Canyon Armory, makes the "best" carbon fiber barrel. Is this statement factual, or just based on personal opinion provided from the author? One statement that seems consistent, is that customer service is very good, if not outstanding from the shop of HCA. That is a subjective opinion and based on personal belief. That said, to have a quorom on the matter speaks volumes about the shop. The objective question being asked is, Are the barrels better? When making a purchase, why would one purchase the second best? If prices are comparable, or features and performance justify paying more for a product, it would make sense to purchase the "best" product one can afford. So, is the "best" moniker purely southern hot air and strictly biased opinion, or is there quantifiable data to prove the statement? Everyone would like to think the value of their money is spent, on the best. So in turn, usually what people buy is represented by them, as being the "best", because they chose to buy it. So, to "over think?" A fool and his money are soon parted.

It was stated that Hell's Canyon Armory, makes the "best" carbon fiber barrel. Is this statement factual, or just based on personal opinion provided from the author? One statement that seems consistent, is that customer service is very good, if not outstanding from the shop of HCA. That is a subjective opinion and based on personal belief. That said, to have a quorom on the matter speaks volumes about the shop. The objective question being asked is, Are the barrels better? When making a purchase, why would one purchase the second best? If prices are comparable, or features and performance justify paying more for a product, it would make sense to purchase the "best" product one can afford. So, is the "best" moniker purely southern hot air and strictly biased opinion, or is there quantifiable data to prove the statement? Everyone would like to think the value of their money is spent, on the best. So in turn, usually what people buy is represented by them, as being the "best", because they chose to buy it. So, to "over think?" A fool and his money are soon parted.

Your questions are valid. The answer is "depends". The best barrel isn't worth much if it isn't installed correctly. And that still doesn't mean much if the shooter can't do their job.
I'd suggest you make a list of priorities and rank them.
My custom guns need to be .5 moa or better. And there is no feasible way to determine if the other barrel would have done better. And that test would only work for those 2 barrels. The next two barrels could be completely different. There's a very high probability that you take a high quality barrel to a high quality Smith and you'll end up with high quality results.
There are no guarantees.
The cf barrels are largely used to reduce weight and looks. Don't think anyone suggests they shoot better. I think they shoot equally. BUT the cost of cf means the value is better with a non cf barrel.

Last edited:
Your questions are valid. The answer is "depends". The best barrel isn't worth much if it isn't installed correctly. And that still doesn't mean much is the shooter can't do their job.
I'd suggest you make a list of priorities and rank them.
My custom guns need to be .5 moa or better. And there is no feasible way to determine if the other barrel would have done better. And that test would only work for those 2 barrels. The next two barrels could be completely different. There's a very high probability that you take a high quality barrel to a high quality Smith and you'll end up with high quality results.
There are no guarantees.
The cf barrels are largely used to reduce weight and looks. Don't think anyone suggests they shoot better. I think they shoot equally. BUT the cost of cf means the value is better with a non cf barrel.

I agree with this statement 100%. This debate is much like a room full of guys talkin about who makes the best pickup.

For the record I'm buying a HCA barrel & having a rifle built there on a tikka action soon so there's no doubt they have to be the best!:D

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.