Can I Rebarrel a 7mmUM with 7mmPRC?

Bluebullet96

I have a Remington model 700 in 7mm Ultra Mag that I burned the barrel out on. I'm planning on sending it to Hart for blueprinting and a rebarrel. I'm trying to figure out if it would be possible to rebarrel in 7mm PRC with just a simple barrel swap? Would the magnum length action work for the standard length 7prc? Would I have to change internals in the mag well? Any other unforeseen obstacles I'm not mentioning? On that note I have about 8 or 10 boxes of 7mmUM factory ammo and 100 or so once shot brass that I would be willing to let go to fund the rebarrel project.

I would get the action blue printed and squared and thicker recoil lug when replacing the barrel. No doubt about that. The action currently sits in a stock with an aluminum bedding block. Thanks for the input.

I would get the action blue printed and squared and thicker recoil lug when replacing the barrel. No doubt about that. The action currently sits in a stock with an aluminum bedding block. Thanks for the input.
Why would sink allthat money trying to change a good action insteadof just buying one.You might save 2 or 3 hundred dollars at most vs buying a good action that fits what you want? Ive built n 6 rifles this year. I changed one up pretty much like you are suggestinhg and It cost almost the same as buying an action.Just my opinion from Experience.Good Luck in your Endeavor.

Why would sink allthat money trying to change a good action insteadof just buying one.You might save 2 or 3 hundred dollars at most vs buying a good action that fits what you want? Ive built n 6 rifles this year. I changed one up pretty much like you are suggestinhg and It cost almost the same as buying an action.Just my opinion from Experience.Good Luck in your Endeavor.
Well one reason would be because the barreled action I have is already sitting in a custom bedded stock that I would have to buy again if I got a different action

Well one reason would be because the barreled action I have is already sitting in a custom bedded stock that I would have to buy again if I got a different action
Well you've hot your reasons I respect that.
Good Luck

If you stay with the Rem700 clones the same stock will work but it's going to take a lot of work to clean out the existing bedding and re do it.

I would just stick with what you already have if you're happy with it.

my 7stw is on a m700 that's been trued with a heavy recoil lug (Shilen bbl.)
my 7rum is on a non trued m700 with a standard lug... (Brux bbl.)
both are running Timney's and Ptg firing pin assemblies in laminate stocks
they both shoot right at the same group size... just over an inch at 200 usually with better groups when the prairie hurricane dies.
unless your 700 is crooked as a crankshaft I'd forget the action work; simply hang a good bbl. and possibly a heavy lug on and shoot

I have a Remington model 700 in 7mm Ultra Mag that I burned the barrel out on. I'm planning on sending it to Hart for blueprinting and a rebarrel.
Apparently it shot well enough for you to burn out the throat over time- so why the blueprinting??
It's a word, and has no clear definition and gets thrown around a lot by those that really don't know what they're talking about.
Re-cutting/trueing the receiver threads is rarely needed except in the worst of cases and has limited value vs. the cost incurred.

Spending a thousand bucks, to replace what's probably a perfectly fine receiver for your purpose (this is a hunting rifle, not a benchrest competition one) is nuts unless you're just trying to burn $$, presuming you weren't having any problems with the receiver previously.

Rebarrel what ya got, save the $$ for ammo, new trigger, etc.

It apparently did shoot fairly well, but that doesn't mean that some of the simpler tuning/truing processes can't make it shoot better. It could well be that the action is crooked, but the barrel is offsettingly crooked too. Resulting in a rifle that shoots like it's "square", but really isn't.

It is all about the best bang for the buck. The right gunsmith can evaluate where the action is at right now and advise as to what processes will improve it the most for the least cost and effort.

I have a Remington model 700 in 7mm Ultra Mag that I burned the barrel out on. I'm planning on sending it to Hart for blueprinting and a rebarrel. I'm trying to figure out if it would be possible to rebarrel in 7mm PRC with just a simple barrel swap? Would the magnum length action work for the standard length 7prc? Would I have to change internals in the mag well? Any other unforeseen obstacles I'm not mentioning? On that note I have about 8 or 10 boxes of 7mmUM factory ammo and 100 or so once shot brass that I would be willing to let go to fund the rebarrel project.
I talk to Karen (Hart) at Hart barrels regularly, as I use quit a few Hart barrels. If I remember correctly, barrel fitting by Hart Rifle Barrels is near a year out on lead time. As for the swap from 7mm UM to 7PRC, I'd not do it personally. Especially having on hand 8-10 boxes of ammo. Many don't get about the thicker recoil lug on a 700. Aftermarket are supposedly ground flat on both sides and the hole is 90 deg to the flats. If the face of the action has been 'squared', those ground flats allow for even tension to be applied as the barrel is torqued. The factory lug is rarely flat, and if checked with a mic it will measure different in different places where the barrel and action meet. This allows the barrel to be 'tighter' in one place than another, which can cause stringing of shots. It's not necessarily about the strength of the lug, but even tension of the shoulders in the threaded connection.

It apparently did shoot fairly well, but that doesn't mean that some of the simpler tuning/truing processes can't make it shoot better. It could well be that the action is crooked, but the barrel is offsettingly crooked too. Resulting in a rifle that shoots like it's "square", but really isn't.
I'm a riflesmith- I understand the processes, thanks.
I wasn't telling him not to have the smith that rebarrels it taking a look at it and evaluate it- I was simply saying that IMO, it's a waste of $$ to spend a grand on a new action when he didn't have any obvious issues with his M700.

I consider facing the receiver ring to be part of the barrel fitting process, and I include it in the price. Once that's done, I use a thread alignment gage (shop made) to check concentricity. Most of the time, they're not "out" enough to justify the cost of recutting the threads- esp for a hunting rifle, and that's as far as it goes.