How can I....

AtownBcat

remove a barrel with out a barrel vice? I have called a couple of local smiths around and no one seems to have one.

Thanks
Ryan

I am not a gunsmith, but I have been around a few. I can't think of anyway to remove a barrel with out a barrel vise..... well with out damaging it. For future needs, I would stay away from the smiths that you called. I think a barrel vise would be one of the essential tools for a gunsmith. It would kind of be like take your car to atire shop for new tire and the shop not having an air compressor

You are going to need both the vise AND action wrench most probably. I find it hard to believe that a gunsmith does not have them.

In other words, pay the smith to do it and have it done right, and if that means you have to find a real smith do it.

BH

If you don't want to save the barrel..........chuck the action, if it's a Remington, or the barrel if it's something else, in a lathe and use a parting-off tool to make a relief cut just in front of the receiver ring, then with the barrel in a regular vise, stick a small board through the action rails and it should unscrew easily. If it is a Rem, you may have to use a hot air gun to loosen up the mung that is in Remington barrel threads. If it doesn't unscrew easily, you're going to need an action wrench. Anybody with an action wrench should have a barrel vise, though.

If you want to save the old barrel or if you want to install another barrel, I don't know any other way except to find an action wrench and barrel vise.

I hope someone else will jump in that knows a lot more than I do.

Good luck, Tom

Thanks for the info. I was afraid of that. I have a smith that i use alot and he is good at what he does but he has never worked much on custom rifles, so he just said there was not enough demand to buy a barrel vice. That was the same story i got from the other smiths i called, just not enough demand. What i have is a remington 700 stainless long action. The barrel is chambered in 300RUM and it has not been fired so there maybe someone out there who would give 40-50$ for it. So i hate to cut it. Sounds like what i get for the barrel will just cover the cost of getting it taken off. Im sending the Action to Kreiger to be fitted with the barrel..Im half way through the 16 weeks!!

Yeah, the barrel is worth at least $40-50. I would think that Krieger would pull the barrel if you send them the whole thing, and then return the pulled barrel to you.

Good luck, Tom

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.