Can I Rebarrel a 7mmUM with 7mmPRC?

I was not replying specifically to you, but you are exactly the type of gunsmith that I was suggesting have a look at it. I wouldn't blindly dump the cost of a new action into the existing action, but if there are some simple things that can be done then they should be done. It's all about the return on investment.

I'm currently an industrial - manufacturing tooling designer. I've seen plenty of parts that were out of spec, that when assembled with similar out of spec parts perform as good as or better than an assembly of in spec parts. Doesn't mean that the parts are correct, just that that particular assembly of parts happens to work well. It does not mean, and I've frequently seen, that when this assembly is taken apart and then put back together that it will continue to perform at or above par. All too often that re-assembled assembly performs like you'd expect a bunch of out of spec parts to perform.
That this existing rifle could be one such assembly is within the range of reasonable and until it is looked by someone such as yourself none of us knows anything specific.

I was not replying specifically to you, but you are exactly the type of gunsmith that I was suggesting have a look at it. I wouldn't blindly dump the cost of a new action into the existing action, but if there are some simple things that can be done then they should be done. It's all about the return on investment.

I'm currently an industrial - manufacturing tooling designer. I've seen plenty of parts that were out of spec, that when assembled with similar out of spec parts perform as good as or better than an assembly of in spec parts. Doesn't mean that the parts are correct, just that that particular assembly of parts happens to work well. It does not mean, and I've frequently seen, that when this assembly is taken apart and then put back together that it will continue to perform at or above par. All too often that re-assembled assembly performs like you'd expect a bunch of out of spec parts to perform.
That this existing rifle could be one such assembly is within the range of reasonable and until it is looked by someone such as yourself none of us knows anything specific.
The opposite holds true as well.

When all the parts are technically within spec you can still get a rifle that simply will not group at all due to an accumulation of those tolerances.

5 Trips back to Remington and 3 trips to different smiths proved that with my first 700bdl.

In my work I've seen that happen too. When it does happen it's time to isolate the most likely tolerance(s) and change them to produce the desired results.

Well now that I've pulled the experts out… if hart is a year out on barrel replacement what barrel would y'all recommend for a hunting rifle?

I am not clear on who is a year wait.
Hart Barrels in New York or RW Hart and sons the rifle builders in Nescopeck, PA.
They are two different companies. I thought that Hart barrels only manufactured and sold barrels, I didn't think they did any chambering or installation.

That's a seriously loaded question. I'll guess that everyone has their favorite 1+ barrel makers, and now you're going hear about all of them!

Clearly some are better than others, but I'll bet that nearly all of the custom barrel makers out there do a better job than any of the rifle mfg's. Based on that I'd suggest finding one that you can work with and that has a lead time that fits your needs.

Hart Barrels in New York or RW Hart and sons the rifle builders in Nescopeck, PA.
They are two different companies. I thought that Hart barrels only manufactured and sold barrels, I didn't think they did any chambering or installation.
Pick any of the top ten makers in the country and flip a coin.

Everyone has their favorites but if you go with any of them you should get a good barrel.

You might just want to talk to your gunsmith and see what makers they prefer.

Well now that I've pulled the experts out… if hart is a year out on barrel replacement what barrel would y'all recommend for a hunting rifle?
All of the custom barrel makers, that fit and chamber their custom barrel to your action, are far behind. I talked to Karen at Hart Rifle Barrels early last week and she quoted me 8 to 10 weeks for a blank of my choice, provided I didn't want any extras like fluting. I don't know about RW Hart. They don't make custom barrels, they do gunsmithing. Douglas barrels used to have a very quick turnaround on barrel fitting, but since Stan passed away, I don't know, you'd have to call and quiz 'um. Several of the other custom barrel makers are much further behind on just making and shipping a blank. Bartlein and Kreiger are almost a year out on blanks. Every barrel maker that makes quality that I have asked is months behind on just delivering a rifled and contoured blank, and are just as far behind in their fitting services.

Pick any of the top ten makers in the country and flip a coin.
This.
There's several companies like Southern Precision Rifles that are stocking dealers, might find what you want in-stock and ready to go.
I buy more mid-tier; Shilen, McGowen- and they generally run in the 3-4 month range for lead times.

I would also suggest buying a custom action, I did the trued Rem700 thing also and ended up with about the same investment as it would have cost to buy a custom action.

What kind of magazine are you going with? If you are going with a BDL type set up, I would not be surprised if you had feeding issues converting over to the PRC due to RUM feed lips. It would be something to talk to your smith about.

This is a guess based on the research I did when I was getting ready to rebarrel my 300 RUM.

Last edited:
What kind of magazine are you going with? If you are going with a BDL type set up, I would not be surprised if you had feeding issues converting over to the PRC due to RUM feed lips. It would be something to talk to your smith about.

This is a guess based on the research I did when I was getting ready to rebarrel my 300 RUM.
A very easy modification for any decent gunsmit.

Apparently it shot well enough for you to burn out the throat over time- so why the blueprinting??
It's a word, and has no clear definition and gets thrown around a lot by those that really don't know what they're talking about.
Re-cutting/trueing the receiver threads is rarely needed except in the worst of cases and has limited value vs. the cost incurred.

Spending a thousand bucks, to replace what's probably a perfectly fine receiver for your purpose (this is a hunting rifle, not a benchrest competition one) is nuts unless you're just trying to burn $$, presuming you weren't having any problems with the receiver previously.

Rebarrel what ya got, save the $$ for ammo, new trigger, etc.
I totally agree with this statement, Did the Gunsmith take careful measurements and create a "Blueprint" Drawing On paper?

They do Gunsmithing/ Threading and Chambering too, Or at least they did before all of this nonsense the last few years, Call and check with Hart Barrels, One of my best groupers is a rifle with a Hart barrel, The other best one is a Broughton, I wish they still made barrels!