What is this and can I do anything with it?

Many of these surplus military Mausers (and others, too) have barrels that are "ate up" from the corrosive ammo they were fed, and the lack of care over the years. If I was going to use a pre '98 for a 'custom', it'd be a Model '96. They were made of superior quality steel with superior heat treating, and many I have seen received the best of care.

I believe shortgrass knows what he's talking about. I have loved 98s and had several customized. Yours ain't a 98 and as shortgrass says, not really worth the expense to redo it. Keep it as a fine piece of memorability of the past. My Dad had a 98 semi customized and the smith even loaded some rounds for it. It was an 8mm Mauser, but exactly which 8 I don't remember. But it shot very good and I wish I had it, but he got rid of it as he did most guns to pay bills. Keep it as is, sometime down the road of life you will be very glad you did.

This is not an attack of 98 supporters. The 93's were state of the art at the time. The time, however' was very short. For making a rifle, the 98's did have significant improvements in design. Modify the 93 if you want. You would be better served heading to the Big Box to get a new entry level rifle like the Ruger American for example. Any one of those rifles would come in less than having a good barrel installed on the Spanish rifle. Adding money to the Spanish rifle is like putting icing on a moldy cake.

I'd say build it if it's partially sporterized and no one has memory of Dad or Grandpa with it. My buddy has a near identical one that shoots about the same size groups after he has been tinkering with loads for years. He finally realized it would be perfect to turn into the .257 Roberts he's always wanted. His sits in a Boyd's laminate stock, but my buddy built a full custom Mauser 96 for a client. He tried to convince him it wasn't saving him any money over building on a new rifle, but the guy had an idea in his mind and it turned out really nice.

Well I see midway sells a green mountain pre fit barrel with a short chamber for $80 in 7x57. Maybe I'll do something with it if I get bored

What everybody is trying to say politely is that the Spanish 93 is an inferior action in workmanship and materials. Many of those guns were not safe to shoot. The action is the heart of any custom gun. That's where the quality parts are added. It's expensive to have a Mauser built into a sporter. Just had one done where I already had a nicely converted German 98 Mauser action. The bill came to $1000.00. If you got plenty of money and don't mind having people laugh at you start customizing the 93.

Ya I probably won't do anything with it unless I want to do some home wirkshop tinkering.

Roundball, only a grand? Wow, you got off cheap! I have 5 98s that many years ago I figured would be my life's work. Turns out I was just about right. What I did not expect was how much I'd be putting into each one! But, finally, they are done and beautiful. I have 2 more being done by my good friend, Adam Fraley in Ohio, and I think may come home next month.

Wow, you got off cheap!

OK, here's how it went. I already had a Mauser BYF42 that had been mostly converted. The only thing was left undone was drilling a tapping for a scope. The barrel is a Bartlein. The stock is a B&C sporter style. This rifle is still in the works with a different scope recently installed. Personally, I have this idea that these project guns may never be finished. Synthetic stock and already having the action made a money difference. There is no way to come out on the project guns using a marginal action.

Sooo, roundball, are you saying the 98 IS a fine action for customizing, right? Many a great smith would say yes. Followed by the Win pre 64 model 70. I had Kreiger barrel and chamber mine. Hand picked Turkish walnut from then one of the best American stock companies, Fajen. Yep, I made a trip to them just for that. Had the actions blue printed, re-hardened, etc., etc. 100% engraved. New floor metal. Custom scope bases for control rings. Etc. ,etc. The actions ran from Argentine to German. I'm embarrassed as to how much I have in these, but glad I did it. They are beautiful!

It's really not polite or considerate to bring up cost.:) Think that cost a bunch then compare what it would cost now. My interest is with very basic rifles. We are talking about two different worlds. I had started to collect parts ahead. That action had been here for over thirty years. I had used a Canjar M2 trigger that has been on the action that long. I have not done so in years but, I do have a strong preference for Remington actions.

Since the rifle has been "semi-sporterized" there is no collector value to it. So all you have is sentimental value. I would have a gunsmith check to see that it is mechanically sound, especially the flaw in the stock above the trigger, and that it is still chambered for 7x57. If all is OK, buy a couple boxes of shells and see if you have a hunting rifle. As others have said, it probably isn't worth any upgrades.

New Barrel, New Stock, New Trigger, Have action Drilled and Tapped, Forge or weld a replacement bolt handle to clear scope, Polishing and Bluing. A NEW SAFETY. New safety or new cocking unit and installation, If scope is used.
I would keep this rifle as Grand Pa's Rifle and its history, And Buy or Build Dad a Rifle to make its own history.

Yup think I'll just be on the lookout for a good quality donor action on the cheap.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.