What is this and can I do anything with it?

Elkeater

0EAE85F0-D978-4D37-B511-A38908B1EEC5.jpeg
6C5CC17A-9010-44B2-A664-F72318520514.jpeg
51243EE8-C4E0-4156-AE71-07D3B9522AC2.jpeg
3BB2F8B2-CF4B-49BE-87A8-13CDD55E2353.jpeg
C5B5829A-BA42-4127-B43A-6FAE4B5FDE0B.jpeg
C1C0A2F5-FB6D-484F-9899-3A9612E219A2.jpeg
4CF1C911-F195-463A-B931-84E689578579.jpeg
So this rifle resides at my parents house. I don't know much about it. I think it came home with grandpa and it came to my dad from my grandpa. It's chambered in 7mm Mauser. It fires as far as I know but everything is very obviously 1940s military grade.

So my question is:

1. Does anyone know anything about it I don't already know?

2. Assuming a competent gunsmith checks it out, Can I do anything with it? Make a custom rifle using the action for my dad? Kind of thinking a nice little 22" barrel 7x57 with a nice wood stock.

I'll counter Orange's sentiments with my own (since we can't help ourselves to play devils advocate from time to time - :). If nobody in the family has any memories of Grandpa or Dad actually using that rifle in its current form then I doubt it has much sentimental meaning (other than just a typical heirloom that nobody knows what to do with other than hang it over the fireplace).

My thoughts are more in line with OP. If the action gets some Smith TLC and blueing, mated up to a new barrel in a chambering that's in line with the origin of the rifle and in a capable hunting round (7x57 would probably fit the bill), then it might actually get USED. Add in a hand made stock and Man, what a gift. Something that gets carried, used and ends up in protographs with smiling generations of users will have much more sentimental value over the years.

I'll counter Orange's sentiments with my own (since we can't help ourselves to play devils advocate from time to time - :). If nobody in the family has any memories of Grandpa or Dad actually using that rifle in its current form then I doubt it has much sentimental meaning (other than just a typical heirloom that nobody knows what to do with other than hang it over the fireplace).

My thoughts are more in line with OP. If the action gets some Smith TLC and blueing, mated up to a new barrel in a chambering that's in line with the origin of the rifle and in a capable hunting round (7x57 would probably fit the bill), then it might actually get USED. Add in a hand made stock and Man, what a gift. Something that gets carried, used and ends up in protographs with smiling generations of users will have much more sentimental value over the years.
There you go. Both directions work equally well. Glad you are the one that has to decide. Either way dad gets a cherished gift and is lucky to have you for a son.

What you have there, is a M93 or M95 military Mauser that has been semi sporterized. The M93-95 are all small ring and cock on closing. Not desirable for building a custom. There are plenty of good M98s around for building a classic custom, leave the M93-95 as they are. Using a military bolt rifle for a custom is the expensive way to go if you can not do much of the work yourself. Drilling and tapping for scope mounts, bolt handle work. metal clean-up for bluing,,,, all cost to have done and done correctly, as does that "hand made stock" that Country Bumpkin mentioned.

Nobi
What you have there, is a M93 or M95 military Mauser that has been semi sporterized. The M93-95 are all small ring and cock on closing. Not desirable for building a custom. There are plenty of good M98s around for building a classic custom, leave the M93-95 as they are. Using a military bolt rifle for a custom is the expensive way to go if you can not do much of the work yourself. Drilling and tapping for scope mounts, bolt handle work. metal clean-up for bluing,,,, all cost to have done and done correctly, as does that "hand made stock" that Country Bumpkin mentioned.
nobody said it was going to be cheap... ;-)

Half the fun of this forum is to spend other people's money for them.

It is a military Mauser, but cannot identify model. Some of the old Model 98 Mausers have actions that are not suitable for reloading. Do a Google search for these. I have a custom 98 made in Brno, Germany and that action is very strong. Also have a Sweedish 98 with cock on closing and it is a PIA to chamber.

Thanks for all the info fellas. It's a cock on closing rifle. So maybe not the ideal thing to start with. I'll think about it though. Always nice to make something work again. No one ever used this rifle it was never anyone's deer rifle it's always just sat around collecting dust.

I wonder if a new trigger, barrel and stock along with some general action TLC would make for a rifle that would shoot minute of deer out to 300 yards?

Thanks for all the info fellas. It's a cock on closing rifle. So maybe not the ideal thing to start with. I'll think about it though. Always nice to make something work again. No one ever used this rifle it was never anyone's deer rifle it's always just sat around collecting dust.

I wonder if a new trigger, barrel and stock along with some general action TLC would make for a rifle that would shoot minute of deer out to 300 yards?

Mine has a Lee Six stock, Canjar safety, Douglas 22" featherweight barrel and Timney trigger. I can keep 5 shots under an inch consistently.

All Model '98s are cock on opening. Cock on closing are all pre '98. It could be rebarreled, restocked and Timney makes a trigger. Chamberings suitable might be the 7x57mm, 8x57mm, 6.5x55mm, 6.5x57mm, .300 Savage or .257 Roberts. Out of those, the 7x57 or 6.5x55 would be my pick. I have a sporterized Swedish '96 that I left chambered in 6.5x55mm. For what it is , it's an OK shooter. Not to pick, and please don't take it wrong, but Brno is in Czechoslovakia, not Germany.

morning, this weapon is old. grandpa used. very good brush hog, and deer
caliber. I had one. I sporterized the weapon. cercoted the finish. would
not spend a lot of money. the beauty of this weapon is the age and
the person who used this weapon. this grandpa's weapon. if
me I would leave in original condition. super clean, shoot and
enjoy the memories of hunting with ur grandpa's weapon. justme gbot tum

Geeze Guys, this reminds me of Grand-pa's old axe, its had four handles and two new heads since grand-pa had it. but its still grand-pa's axe,,,,as long as you don't modify it. As for the cost of up-grading, one could more than likely buy another good quality rifle, and fit a nice scope as well.Good luck with this one elkeater. :)

These rifles were brought to the US in the 1960's. Some were OK others were not. The worst ones were pitted and beat up. Possibly these rifles were made up left over parts. These rifles survived a tough civil war and did not get good care. Honestly, the Spanish 93 are the lease desirable for custom work. In the day the rifle did make a good economy sporter if, and only if, the rifle is in good condition. Have a real gunsmith take a look at the rifle.

Last edited:
These rifles were brought to the US in the 1960's. Some were OK others were not. The worst ones were pitted and beat up. Possibly these rifles were made up left over parts. These rifles survived a tough civil war and did not get good care. Honestly, the Spanish 93 are the lease desirable for custom work. In the day the rifle did make a good economy sported if, and only if, the rifle is in good condition. Have a real gunsmith take a look at the rifle.
I'm the younger brother of Elkeater. In my foolish youth, about 10 years ago, I fired this rifle. It functioned fine. Shot about a 6 inch group at 70 yards. Could be more that at the time I wasnt very disciplined in the use of irons rather than the rifle being less than stellar.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.