Can anyone I.D. this rifle, and is it a good long-range prospect?

HOOSIER-ACE

No name or caliber or any other marks on the barrel except serial #: Bolt is jeweled, making me think, Savage, and a partial box of 7x08 SAVAGE was found with it. Has a Bushnell Sportview, no markings of any kind, mounted in Weaver USA rings, bridging the action, making me think, Long-action. Serial "K2291" on barrel and action. No nut holding the barrel. On the left side of the protruding rear of the bolt, on its wider part, is a small "lightning-bolt", and on the narrower portion is a number: upside-down smile, 54, and a crossed-through Zero (not barred). The safety-lever is blued. The round bolt-handle is slightly curved downwards, ½ flat, ½ round. It has a fixed box-magazine whose floor-plate runs the full length of the action (8½"), with two screws, and a slightly oval hole just ahead of the trigger-guard (milled). Barrel is 19", with a rounded crown. The stock is stepped at the rear scope-mount. No provision for iron sights. There is an oval, milled hole in the left side of the action, just behind and below the front sight-mount. There is no provision for a front sight. Barrel is slightly tapered. It is glass bedded. The Monte Carlo stock is extra high, has a nice cheek-weld, and is two-toned. The fore-end has a chin of darker wood, as does the bottom-plate of the wrist. The "checkering" is unusual: it is an engraving of "curlyque" pattern, on the wrist and on three sides of the fire-end, in a flying scallop design. There are sling-swivels installed. Very minor dings and rust. What sort of gun is this, and can it become a LR Hunter? Thanks. -ACE

Yes, although I am conversant with a few, and love ALL guns, my MacBook is determined to deny my sending of a picture. My pics go into PhotoBooth but do not attach to my e-mail. Despite that, I have found a LGS owner who knew what it is: Mauser M-94 or -96. I think. It has a blued, short safety-lever. Only a few million are in circulation; my value, about $225 MAX. So, then, is this Mauser-line capable of Sporterization to good avail, or just a plinker? Any ideas as to accuracy / range? Thanks to all. -Ace.

sounds like a '93 mauser, the dead giveaway would be if there is a flat area up close to the locking lugs. if it is, more than likely it is a 7mm mauser. i would not recommend changing calibers as they are rumored to not be able to take the abuse of a higher pressure cartridge. they are very potent in 7mm mauser though.

I.D. this rifle? Thanks.

Yep, there it is. My LGS proprietor didn't pull the bolt himself. You got it pegged. I'm learning a lot from you pros. Last question again, is it a plinker, or a hunter? Thanks. -Ace.

Dont wast the money sell it and get a 98. I had a 93 and I could not find a smith to touch it they are supposedly weak actions, not to mention you have a hard time finding add on parts or replacements.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.