Caliber Selection Recommendations?

Hello all,

In the market for a new rifle. This rifle will be used to hunt black bear, mule deer and elk. I plan to use this rifle on game out to a max range of ~500 yards, but would also like to shoot still somewhere around the 1,000 yard mark.

I have my eye set on the Browning X-Bolt Composite Stalker. What caliber would you recommend? I've been looking at the 7mm Rem Mag. 28 Nosler?

Thanks in advance.
i am partial to the 300 wsm with the 180-200 grain bullet

I have a Rem Sendero SF II in 300wm, Huskemaw 5x20, custom turret, muzzle brake, bipod, slip-on recoil pad on the stock recoil pad, shooting Berger 210gr at 2770fps. Recoil better than my old 270.
Bit heavy, but that makes for a very steady hold. Shoots 5"-6" groups at 1000yds. Kills everything I pull the trigger on. DRT 1 shot kills everytime.
Coyote, white tail, elk, nothing walks away. Can't imagine a better gun.
Having said that, I would like to play with a 300wsm just for the short action and maybe lose a pound.
Best of luck in your choice and subsequent hunts!

I really like the 300RUM round, but I'd do a 300 Lapua instead if I were purely handloading. I'm really intrigued and interested in the 33 Nosler as well for a manageable .338 caliber rifle.

Hello all,

In the market for a new rifle. This rifle will be used to hunt black bear, mule deer and elk. I plan to use this rifle on game out to a max range of ~500 yards, but would also like to shoot still somewhere around the 1,000 yard mark.

I have my eye set on the Browning X-Bolt Composite Stalker. What caliber would you recommend? I've been looking at the 7mm Rem Mag. 28 Nosler?

Thanks in advance.
The 7mm mag is good choice as a gunsmith for 20 years lately I have been seeing a lot of browning xbolts that don't shoot under 2 1/2" at a 100 yards I have a 26 nosler in shop Wright now and 2" with factory loads and a little worse with reloads I would look at savage or Remington

I don't reload yet, but I'll be taking my hand at it in the near future. Do you know much about the quality of Rem 700s coming out? What should I expect to do with one to make it sub moa? Bed, new barrel, trigger? Stock?

I bought a Rem 700 ADL in 7mm Rem Mag with a 26" barrel a few years ago and it shoots sub MOA woth a few factory ammo options, Hornady, Winchester Supreme and some Remington ammo as well.

With Reloads it's shooting Sub Half MOA with 140gr, 150gr, 154gr, 160gr, 162gr and also 175gr bullets. I have not tried any bullets heavier than the 175gr since I have a bunch of the bullets mentioned so no need to get anymore right now.

I still have it on the original synthetic stock and it shoots great.

I am working on bedding a McMillan fiberglass stock to it that I have laying around amd also getting the BDL conversion kit to fit the stock.

The 7mm mag is good choice as a gunsmith for 20 years lately I have been seeing a lot of browning xbolts that don't shoot under 2 1/2" at a 100 yards I have a 26 nosler in shop Wright now and 2" with factory loads and a little worse with reloads I would look at savage or Remington
I bought a Rem 700 ADL in 7mm Rem Mag with a 26" barrel a few years ago and it shoots sub MOA woth a few factory ammo options, Hornady, Winchester Supreme and some Remington ammo as well.

With Reloads it's shooting Sub Half MOA with 140gr, 150gr, 154gr, 160gr, 162gr and also 175gr bullets. I have not tried any bullets heavier than the 175gr since I have a bunch of the bullets mentioned so no need to get anymore right now.

I still have it on the original synthetic stock and it shoots great.

I am working on bedding a McMillan fiberglass stock to it that I have laying around amd also getting the BDL conversion kit to fit the stock.
Should've also mentioned that I've owned mostly Rem 700's and have not had one that will not shoot Sub Half MOA with reloads, from the Varmints to the basic ADL's, all have shot very good.

Well, maybe the tried and true Rem 700 is the way to go. What are some good models under the $800 mark? Also what twist rate do most have of the rem 700 300wm have? I looked at one that said a 1:10 which doesn't seem fast enough to stabilize a 200gr+ bullet? Thank in advance, need recommendations on rifles!

So, that's the fun part... the XBolt I am looking at weighs in at only 6.8 lbs. I'm wondering if the weight of the rifle should steer me away from the 300? Thank you for all of the information!

In my opinion, no.
One of my 300 Win Mags is a Fierce CT Edge. It goes 6.37 pounds, 7.5 scoped. I've got a completely jacked right shoulder from dislocations throughout my life, starting back in high school, can barely raise my right arm to put deodorant on, stuff is so messed up in there, and I can sit behind that rifle for about 4 hours of shooting. A good mizzlebrake and recoil pad makes the 300 WM a pussycat.
Also, bear in mind I've spent 35 years shooting the 300 Win Mags, so I'm kinda familiar with them. Most of that time was Unbraked and with sub par recoil pads. My first brakes rifle spoiled the snot out of me and now all are braked.
Now, if you want it to be a combo LR target and hunting, you could go a little heavier if you think you'll spend all day behind it.

Get a good brake, side discharge if you're going to shoot prone, and a limb saver or equivalent recoil pad if your factory pad makes you feel a "pinch" when you shoot it.

If you're going to look at Remington 700's, I'd advise the Sendero SF2.

I get .16" 4 shot groups out of mine, first fouler is usually a little high. That's with my reloads.
Additionally, nothing to do with this particular cartridge choice, but I have a Sendero SF2 264 Win Mag that shoots like that too.

Shooting quality factory ammo, say the Berger 215's, you should be sub MOA. How much sub depends on you and the rifle.

The trigger will have to go. So get one you'll like. I went with Timney.
That'll also add to the cost of the package. Muzzle brake, trigger, you're probably going to leave their recoil pad on it, it's epoxied on. (HS stock)

They are a 1500.00 gun but they do go on sale once in a while.

The 700 LR is hit or miss. It you get a good one, you got a bargain! B&C stock, replaceable recoil pad, theirs isn't bad though, a little heavier than the Sendero, just muzzle brake and trigger.

Most of mine are 10 twist. The Ruger RPR is a 9 twist. They all seem to do fine.i saw some of Browning's LR platforms are 8 twist... not sure you'll need that much?

Looks like the going rate for a Remington 700 LR is about 650...
Word to the wise: Don't buy it online. You're going to want to inspect it in person. If you know someone who knows rifles, have them help you. Things to look for:
Overall fit and finish. (Just remember it's a 650.00 rifle)
Is the barrel centered in the stock channel?
How does the bolt feel when cycled?
When you open bolt, does bolt handle contact extraction cam for at least .060"?
Do the scope mounting holes look straight and centered?

You aren't going to be able to tell if it's got a rough chamber (some of them do.) Either ask about warranty returns, or have a plan for a gunsmith to polish burs if you get one that the chamber is rough in. You'll probably only discover this after firing the rifle a few times. If it extracts and ejects, you'll be fine.

No matter which one you get, Clean the rifle before shooting!
Especially the bore. You will be surprised what kind of crud is in them from the factory.

7mm rem mag. More than enough gun for what you want. Great availability and doesnt beat the crap out of your shoulder.

I'll second that. Out to 500 yards, the elk won't know the difference. Out to 1000, neither will a paper or steel target. Assuming that you would be going with heavier bullets in the 300, your shoulder will definitely notice the difference. It will like the 7mm better, especially after sending a couple dozen shots downrange. If you decide to start shooting your elk further out after a couple of years of developing your proficiency, you can always trade off the 7mm or re-barrel it.

28 NOSLER, hands down!

7mag

Your requirements are not that extreme. 500 on game, 1000 on paper. No reason to go more recoil or more exotic than a 7RM.

KISS
Man, those are 2 of my favorites... But we seem to be missing another one of my long-time favorites... The 7mm STW. :cool:

Been shooting 7RM's for 17 years now, and plan on rebarrling one of my custom STW's into a .28 Nosler (it was originally a 7RUM action). Been shooting the 7 STW for 17 years, as well.

How many shots a year do you plan to shoot? If it is hunting only, one or two trips per year and a few sighting in shots, you will very likely only shoot 20 to 50 shots per year. You could use the 28 Nosler and do just fine. But if you are using this gun for more frequent shooting, you will want to look at the 7mm Rem Mag or the 300 Win mag. They are not as expensive to shoot, and will not burn your barrel out as fast. With adequate practice, longer barrels and a rifle twist that will allow you to shoot the heavy bullets, you can extend your range to 1000 yards easily.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.