Caliber Selection

TheFishBox

So I am a new poster but long time lurker on the website and was looking for some input on what caliber to chose as far as something that has good barrel life and doesnt burn a ton of powder. I already have a 338 and 300 so preferably something smaller than that but still capable of shooting steel out around a grand. What would you guys recommend or can someone give me a thread that has already had this beaten to death in it.

This topic will never get worn out :D. The truth is, all calibers are wonderfully fascinating and we want one of each. I have two suggestions. For a 1000 yard hammer with superb external ballistics and plenty of terminal performance look to the 7WSM. For a lighter caliber, great ballistics, and a lot of fun, look at the 260.

You can pretty much pick the cartridge to achieve your goals with a 7 or a 6.5. Great long range calibers.

I'm happy with my .260. Bangs steel good at 1000, and I wouldn'd hesitate thumping a blacktail up to around 800. Low recoil with no loud muzzle break. All the deer end up being within 300yrds now that I'm ready for them.:rolleyes:Maybe this year I'll have a chance for some long range deer thumping.

The 308 winchester is deadly accurate, doesn't burn much powder and the barrel will last for thousands of rounds. No fancy factor but just tried and true that works. The 300 wsm if you want a little more punch. For long barrel life I would stay 30 caliber or larger. The 7mm-08 imp is very accurate with pretty good barrel life under 30 cal.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.