Caliber selection

Wow, lots to go through since the last time I looked!!!

Some interesting suggestions and wildcats here. I will address a few and express thoughts.

I am thinking I am probably going to veer away from custom at this point. Not that I am not interested, but I have a couple other projects coming up that could turn custom.

Recoil isn't really much of an issue for me. I have never been recoil sensitive in the past, shooting magnum calibers with sporter barrels until I got bit with the heavy barrel bug.

The more I think about it, the more I veer away from the ultra big magnums. I don't really have a use for one in all actually. Heck, my 7 mag will kill everything I need to kill as far as my hunting seasons of elk, deer, and antelope. My 270 will do plenty adequate as a backup, and I have a 243 and 22-250 for coyote rifles.

There really isn't a rifle that I "need." There is one that has caught my eye a couple times. Those darn Maple Winchester Super Grades. Only a handful of calibers for choices there. The only ones I probably have much interest in are a 300 win mag or 264 win mag. Seems like the 300 could get kind of abusive but recoil hasn't been an issue for me in the past. Always something to ponder......

I have thought about a 300 wsm but can't seem to find it in a gun that I would like without building a custom.

A creedmoor or 260 is kind of on my radar because my daughters could pretty easily shoot on for hunting purposes as a double use type gun.

A lot of interesting suggestions. I like to hear other peoples thoughts and thought processes on this stuff. Helps me decide a little bit on what I want.
Think of it this way.

With a .260, 7mm mag, and either a .338wm, .375H&H, or my favorite the .375 Ruger you would have a battery of guns more than adequate for everything on the planet from prairie dogs to elephant and with the 6.5 in .260, 6.5L, or 6.5CM you'd have two of the three that the girls could shoot just fine without much worry about recoil.

Some of us here are just nuts and have a ridiculous number of rifles including myself but I could easily whittle the collection down to just three, a .220 Swift or .204 Ruger, one of the 7's or 300's and one of the .375's and never find myself over or undergunned for any hunting situation I could ever find myself in.

Having so many different calibers as I do just buying all of the reloading equipment necessary has added up to thousands and the time requirements not to mention expense of working up loads for fifteen plus different rifles gets pretty steep.

Even just cutting down to the Swift, one of the .260's, one of the STW's, and one of the 375's would be more than adequate.

morning, I am prejudice. I would build a 340wbee.
chew me up. I know that people say the brass is
expensive. NO, u have to shop around. bullets r
there, fore accuracy test. I shoot barnes 210TTSX
in mine. in most of the world wildlife this caliber
is a thunder stick. maintaining the brass is simple.
215 primers, barnes bullets, 4831sc and wbee brass.
I was going to build another, 2 actions got stolen,
1 721 Rem. LA, 1 weatherby mag.
2 barrels, 1 shilen, 1 bartlein barrel were both 338
caliber. $1600 cash. I reported to Batfe, they did nothing.

justme gbot tum

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts