Caliber Selection Recommendations?

I'm totally biased. I've had 300 win mags for over 35 years. Currently own 5 of them, all in different configurations.

Crunching numbers:

I have a 215 gr Berger HT load for 4 of my 5 rifles that hover right at 3000 fps. (Give or take 50 fps total, or +- 25 fps, depending on the rifle.) Using the 3000 fps figure for speed, that right at 4300 ft pounds of muzzle energy. That gives about 2300 fps and 2600 ft pounds of energy at 500. At 1000 yards, 1763 fps and 1484 foot pounds.

I don't load for 7 mag, so these numbers may be off. A 180 gr Berger VLD H at 3000 fps (this is the part I don't know, can they be pushed faster accurately and not over pressure?) You have 3600 ft pounds of energy. At 500, 2274 fps and 2066 ft pounds at 1000, 1663 fps and 1105 ft pounds energy.

In this example, The 300 WM gives more energy, 700 ft pounds at the muzzle, 534 ft pounds at 500, and 379 foot pounds at 1000.

Couple things, the 7 mag will shoot nicer without a brake than the 300. The trajectory may be a little flatter and wind may be a bit better with the 7 mag, but you're already dialing at range, so what's a few extra clicks?

Wound cavities will be better with more bullet at speed to make them.

You definitely have enough gun to take elk sized game at 1000 yards with the 300 loaded as above.

With a brake and a 10-12 pound rifle, the 300 win mag isn't too bad to shoot. If you're hunting, it matters less because you'll be shooting less you won't even register the recoil. If you aren't hunting, brake and heavy rifle (12-15 pounds) and you'll be able to be behind it all day.

At the ranges you specified for hunting, either cartridge will do. You may not have the expense of muzzle braking the 7 mag, you'll just have to shoot it and find out.

Last edited:
Like Wolf76 said "pick your favorite 300 Mag", but if you are recoil shy then look at the 7mm caliber. I'm not recoil shy and I like the 300s, 338s, and my favorite is the 35 Whelen but it's not a 500 plus cartridge.
Good luck!

Hello all,

In the market for a new rifle. This rifle will be used to hunt black bear, mule deer and elk. I plan to use this rifle on game out to a max range of ~500 yards, but would also like to shoot still somewhere around the 1,000 yard mark.

I have my eye set on the Browning X-Bolt Composite Stalker. What caliber would you recommend? I've been looking at the 7mm Rem Mag. 28 Nosler?

Thanks in advance.
Two of my boys shoot 7 mag composite stalkers. I shoot one in 2506. My 7 mag is the old Browning BBR which has been a great rifle. I'd recommend the 7 mag as it will do everything you need without the punishment of the 300.

In order of my preference:
.308 Norma
.300 Wby
.300 WSM
No logic, no significant experience behind that. Just my preference.

I got a .300 Wby Mag in 1986 and quit tracking blood trails. Dead Right There (DRT) gun on many mule deer, Elk and 2 Bear. 5 mule deer & 1 340" bull elk at over 500 yrds.
Got a Break put on it early and my kids could shoot it.
I love the .300 Mags. have not had the same luck with the 7mm's?

IMHO I would go with a Remington 700 in 300WM for two key reasons.
1-the Remington is the standard for custom builds due to ability to make easy upgrades as needed.
2. The 300 recoil is very manageable, ammo is easy to find or load, cheaper, more variety in loads, and is good for game from hogs to Elk to Bears.

Having said that I've hunted all game in USA, Africa, New Zealand,Quebec using a 270win and 30.06. I just went over to the 300 as a back up gun for long range Elk and Mulies

Hello all,

In the market for a new rifle. This rifle will be used to hunt black bear, mule deer and elk. I plan to use this rifle on game out to a max range of ~500 yards, but would also like to shoot still somewhere around the 1,000 yard mark.

I have my eye set on the Browning X-Bolt Composite Stalker. What caliber would you recommend? I've been looking at the 7mm Rem Mag. 28 Nosler?

Thanks in advance.[/QUOT

There isn't a wrong answer but 7mag is MY choice, but for my reasons. Something to consider though, the 28 cal bullets (high BC) buck the miss factor by 18% more than any of the best 30 cal bullets at the same velocities. Although displacement matters, it matters less when you miss or displace large bowel.
The 28 Nosler is a screamer, so consider that for every 100 fps you increase the velocity of that 195 eol or 180 ELD, you reduce wind deflection by another 15%. In that respect the 28 Nosler bucks the wind a bunch better... but at a heavy cost. 25% more powder and 30% more recoil are not insignificant; moreover, adjusting your seating depth after every 100 rounds is only NOT a big deal unless you only shoot it at game and develop your load in a short session. Otherwise, and I mean this seriously, buy several barrels in 28 Nosler at once and have them chambered at once, identically, and build it in a Remage or switch barrel to save the time and cost WHEN you have to re-barrel.
So, after I considered all of these things, I built a 7 Rem Mag. It will do all you want it to do plus some.

I'm totally biased. I've had 300 win mags for over 35 years. Currently own 5 of them, all in different configurations.

Crunching numbers:

I have a 215 gr Berger HT load for 4 of my 5 rifles that hover right at 3000 fps. (Give or take 50 fps total, or +- 25 fps, depending on the rifle.) Using the 3000 fps figure for speed, that right at 4300 ft pounds of muzzle energy. That gives about 2300 fps and 2600 ft pounds of energy at 500. At 1000 yards, 1763 fps and 1484 foot pounds.

I don't load for 7 mag, so these numbers may be off. A 180 gr Berger VLD H at 3000 fps (this is the part I don't know, can they be pushed faster accurately and not over pressure?) You have 3600 ft pounds of energy. At 500, 2274 fps and 2066 ft pounds at 1000, 1663 fps and 1105 ft pounds energy.

In this example, The 300 WM gives more energy, 700 ft pounds at the muzzle, 534 ft pounds at 500, and 379 foot pounds at 1000.

Couple things, the 7 mag will shoot nicer without a brake than the 300. The trajectory may be a little flatter and wind may be a bit better with the 7 mag, but you're already dialing at range, so what's a few extra clicks?

Wound cavities will be better with more bullet at speed to make them.

You definitely have enough gun to take elk sized game at 1000 yards with the 300 loaded as above.

With a brake and a 10-12 pound rifle, the 300 win mag isn't too bad to shoot. If you're hunting, it matters less because you'll be shooting less you won't even register the recoil. If you aren't hunting, brake and heavy rifle (12-15 pounds) and you'll be able to be behind it all day.

At the ranges you specified for hunting, either cartridge will do. You may not have the expense of muzzle braking the 7 mag, you'll just have to shoot it and find out.

So, that's the fun part... the XBolt I am looking at weighs in at only 6.8 lbs. I'm wondering if the weight of the rifle should steer me away from the 300? Thank you for all of the information!

So, that's the fun part... the XBolt I am looking at weighs in at only 6.8 lbs. I'm wondering if the weight of the rifle should steer me away from the 300? Thank you for all of the information!
I have an x bolt LR stalker in 300 and it's not bad st all

IMHO I would go with a Remington 700 in 300WM for two key reasons.
1-the Remington is the standard for custom builds due to ability to make easy upgrades as needed.
2. The 300 recoil is very manageable, ammo is easy to find or load, cheaper, more variety in loads, and is good for game from hogs to Elk to Bears.

Having said that I've hunted all game in USA, Africa, New Zealand,Quebec using a 270win and 30.06. I just went over to the 300 as a back up gun for long range Elk and Mulies

As I do like the customizable features of the 700, i've just heard less than satisfactory things about them that has been steering me away.

Do you reload?

You might also take a look at Savage. They don't have as many aftermarket options as the Remington 700, but probably more than the Browning. Barrel swapping is stupidly easy, so if you want something different down the road, there's tons of options. They are very reasonably priced usually, and by most accounts very accurate out of the box, with great triggers.

Do you reload?

You might also take a look at Savage. They don't have as many aftermarket options as the Remington 700, but probably more than the Browning. Barrel swapping is stupidly easy, so if you want something different down the road, there's tons of options. They are very reasonably priced usually, and by most accounts very accurate out of the box, with great triggers.

I don't reload yet, but I'll be taking my hand at it in the near future. Do you know much about the quality of Rem 700s coming out? What should I expect to do with one to make it sub moa? Bed, new barrel, trigger? Stock?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts