New caliber selection

I appreciate everyone's input. After giving it some thought I think I need to move some priorities. I've decided to keep the caliber small. I have several nieces and a nephew growing up to shooting age soon and I would love to help them. Currently I'm thinking 224V. Cheap, decent, factory ammo. Light recoil, especially with a suppressor. Hopefully lots of fun for them. I'm really thankful for everyone's input and welcome any more along these lines.

In .224 caliber I would consider the 22 creedmoor. It's about the same as my 22-243 only in a factory cartridge. Going to build one for my son that's in the navy. Don't know how available the brass is yet but easy to form with 22-250 brass and would be a good choice with that short action. In a 7 or 8 twist could shoot 50gr up to 80 or 90gr. Not a fan of the 6.5 creedmoor but this 22 creed sounds promising

I appreciate everyone's input. After giving it some thought I think I need to move some priorities. I've decided to keep the caliber small. I have several nieces and a nephew growing up to shooting age soon and I would love to help them. Currently I'm thinking 224V. Cheap, decent, factory ammo. Light recoil, especially with a suppressor. Hopefully lots of fun for them. I'm really thankful for everyone's input and welcome any more along these lines.
Take a serious look at the .220 Swift, my personal favorite, and 22-250.

You're not going to find a better varminter on the market, plenty of factory ammo available, and none of the new, better, blah, blah, blah's are doing anything either of those has been doing for many decades.

The 6.5's however add a whole new dimension to varminting and hunting up to medium game that none of the 22's can match. Your young nephew should have no problem with any of the 22's or the 6.5CM or .260 Rem.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts