Caliber Selection Recommendations?

Brydawg512

Hello all,

In the market for a new rifle. This rifle will be used to hunt black bear, mule deer and elk. I plan to use this rifle on game out to a max range of ~500 yards, but would also like to shoot still somewhere around the 1,000 yard mark.

I have my eye set on the Browning X-Bolt Composite Stalker. What caliber would you recommend? I've been looking at the 7mm Rem Mag. 28 Nosler?

Thanks in advance.

7 mag or 300WM. A 28 Nosler really doesnt do much over the 7 mag unless you run the correct freebore and 195 then you've got mag box length problems and barrel life if you sit down at the bench and shoot much.

Compare barrel life between a 28 Nosler and a 300 WM The Winchester wins hands down! I have an email from Bartlien Barrels stating that if you want to shoot a 28 a lot
you will need to buy barrels in 6 packs! They SELL barrels and still warned me!
I posted his answer in an older thread...He pointed out throat erosion issues in less than 100 shots raising pressures to dangerous levels!

Last edited:
Though I prefer 300 to 7mm for the tasks you mention, with no muzzle brake on the Composite Stalker, 300 Win will likely have substantially more felt recoil than a 7mm Mag. It may or may not be a problem for you.

Now, how difficult/expensive is it to thread the barrel for a muzzle brake on average? I'm very new to all this, so what would a good brake for this cost? The labor to install it? I'm certainly not going to attempt to lathe my barrel without prior experience...

Brydawg512,

You're going to have to locate a reputable gunsmith in your area, and ask. Gunsmith get about 100.00- 150.00 here to cut threads and recrown barrel. Then there's the cost of a thread protector, if you ever think you'll shoot it without the brake on, those are like 30 bucks for a generic one, 60.00 for a custom one. (Customs are usually blended to the barrel)

As far as the brake itself goes, you can get a self timed one, custom blended and timed by the gunsmith, crush washer, or radial. You're looking at 150.00- 200.00 give or take, depending on model. Your shooting needs/positions will dictate the brake that's best for you.

Hello all,

In the market for a new rifle. This rifle will be used to hunt black bear, mule deer and elk. I plan to use this rifle on game out to a max range of ~500 yards, but would also like to shoot still somewhere around the 1,000 yard mark.

I have my eye set on the Browning X-Bolt Composite Stalker. What caliber would you recommend? I've been looking at the 7mm Rem Mag. 28 Nosler?

Thanks in advance.
My vote would be the 280 AI...Its a sexy round that will do everything you need it to. Another round to check out is the 270wsm - this has been my go to rifle for deer, elk and black bear the last few years. It is an under rated round.

Brydawg512,

You're going to have to locate a reputable gunsmith in your area, and ask. Gunsmith get about 100.00- 150.00 here to cut threads and recrown barrel. Then there's the cost of a thread protector, if you ever think you'll shoot it without the brake on, those are like 30 bucks for a generic one, 60.00 for a custom one. (Customs are usually blended to the barrel)

As far as the brake itself goes, you can get a self timed one, custom blended and timed by the gunsmith, crush washer, or radial. You're looking at 150.00- 200.00 give or take, depending on model. Your shooting needs/positions will dictate the brake that's best for you.

Well, now this all has me thinking.. 7mm or 300wm? More bullet at 500 yards on an elk with the 300 sounds like a good idea, but better velocity with the 7mm if I understand correctly?

I wouldn't say I'm recoil sensitive so maybe a 300 is worth considering?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.