New caliber selection

Mercracing

I'm going to be getting an Origin action shortly. It's a SA with either 223/224, 308, or mag bolt face. As of right now I have an AR 243, hunting rifle in 260, target rifle in 260, 7mm Wby, 300WM, 338WM, and 338LM. Currently 7mm, 300, and 338WM are for sale. I'm trying to decide what I should build with this action. I had originally thought of a short, light weight hunter, but I don't really want to spend the $$ for a Proof. So then I'm back to a hunting/steel rifle. I'm in the north central US. Hunting would be deerish size game and smaller. 0-400yds. Ive been kicking around the idea of a 20"ish 6Creed, 260, 6BR, and 6.5PRC.

Any others I should think about?

I'm going to be getting an Origin action shortly. It's a SA with either 223/224, 308, or mag bolt face. As of right now I have an AR 243, hunting rifle in 260, target rifle in 260, 7mm Wby, 300WM, 338WM, and 338LM. Currently 7mm, 300, and 338WM are for sale. I'm trying to decide what I should build with this action. I had originally thought of a short, light weight hunter, but I don't really want to spend the $$ for a Proof. So then I'm back to a hunting/steel rifle. I'm in the north central US. Hunting would be deerish size game and smaller. 0-400yds. Ive been kicking around the idea of a 20"ish 6Creed, 260, 6BR, and 6.5PRC.

Any others I should think about?

Have you considered .25 CM or other 1/4 bore short action chamberings? Good luck!

I have briefly. I have the ability to reload, but generally shoot factory ammo. I'm currently circling back to the 1/4 bore stuff. Thinking if it's not a match rifle I don't need 200 rounds loaded up all the time, so it might not be as bad as I'm thinking.

hunting rifle in 260, target rifle in 260

You already shoot the .260 Rem so you have 6.5mm bullets to work with. The 6.5 Creedmoor has both factory and custom loaded ammunition or a great selection of US made brass. On the other hand, for deer size game and smaller, the 6mm Creedmoor will provide a ton of fun, slightly lighter recoil and easy to load for with US brass as well.

The long action cartridges mentioned above, only Nosler makes the .280 AI brass and there is no 6.5-06 AI brass unless you make it and fireform.

If you decide on a magnum bolt face, the 6.5 PRC has factory ammunition available but is also easy to load for.

I would have suggested a 260 AI for your needs but you already have 2 260,s the cheapest way would be to open one of them to the AI version to step it up. The 260 AI would be my choice for the short action.

If you end up with a long action, The 280 AI would cover all of your needs.

J E CUSTOM

I have a Rock barrel in 260AI waiting to be installed. But I wouldn't rule out a 308 win either. For 400 yards and under it would be great for big bodied deer. And many have used it for elk at reasonable distances. Ammo is easy to find for it, reloading is easy, and good barrel life.

You already shoot the .260 Rem so you have 6.5mm bullets to work with. The 6.5 Creedmoor has both factory and custom loaded ammunition or a great selection of US made brass. On the other hand, for deer size game and smaller, the 6mm Creedmoor will provide a ton of fun, slightly lighter recoil and easy to load for with US brass as well.

The long action cartridges mentioned above, only Nosler makes the .280 AI brass and there is no 6.5-06 AI brass unless you make it and fireform.

If you decide on a magnum bolt face, the 6.5 PRC has factory ammunition available but is also easy to load for.

I've looked at the PRC a little, but what I'm seeing(newest American Rifleman mag) is good velocity but with a 28" barrel!

I forgot to mention that this will be shot 100% suppressed. That's why I'm super against a 28" barrel.

The Origin is only available in SA
I wouldn't rule out the 308 win for your criteria. Unless you want to save the coyote pelts. My 260 AI's job will be mainly chucks out to 1k and mile target shooting on the cheaper, more economical side. That's if it proves to be accurate once the barrel is installed.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts