Caliber indecision – Sporter rifle

By "only the closed-minded", he's referring to me. I'm used to it by now. Me and Feenix usually have our spats when this subject gets brought up.

However, on that note, I will admit I am closed-minded and opinionated. But so is just about everyone else. Everyone's opinions are only truly important to themselves. And if they won't admit it, then they're the one with the problem. You know what my opinoin is worth? As much weight as your willing to put into it...That's how much. If you don't put any weight into it, then it's worthless. If you put every bit of trust and faith into it, then it's worth something to you. Get what i'm saying?

I know what works for me, and I have no problems voicing my opinion. I have a right to free speech, just like he does, and everybody else does. That's why I usually just let it slide once I've voiced my opinion. There's no sense in arguing on the internet.

Who said anything about arguing? Most Savage owners l know, including myself own Remingtons.

I have a Savage 116 in 25-06 that I think does pretty well for a factory sporter barrel. I recently replaced the stock with a MPI kevlar. Attached is a pic with the new stock. The rifle will hold almost .5 MOA at 300 yards which is plenty accurate for me. It does much better than that at 100. Rifle weighs 7.25 lb. with scope.

It's the worst shooting Savage I own. Wish I could figure out what's wrong with it. :cool:

Attachments

• IMG_20140630_183337953-22.jpg
    IMG_20140630_183337953-22.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_20120819_203501.jpg
    IMG_20120819_203501.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_20120809_181146.jpg
    IMG_20120809_181146.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 39
To answer your #7 post, do a custom search on top right hand corner for " my budget. 270 AI", If you need more, check out the Savage Shooters forum.

I read it last week (stumbled into it when reading about sherman cartridges). :D

Therefore id I was in yoyr position and knowing the cost for stock action and then having it tuned, then I would opt for a custom action. It just makes good finacial sense.

Agreed if tuning is needed. What catches my potential interest is folks getting good results on savages with just a rebarrel.

Does anyone know off hand what threading pattern shielen and big horn use? Curious if I went with this action for now and put a barrel on it if it could move to one of the above actions later if I was ever so inclined.

Does anyone know off hand what threading pattern shielen and big horn use? Curious if I went with this action for now and put a barrel on it if it could move to one of the above actions later if I was ever so inclined.
Most of the customs use a Remington barrel thread, or larger, since they're based off the 700 design. Savage is its own thread pattern from what I've read.

Yeah most do, but I think the sheilen is either large or small shank savage since they offer barreled actions with the savage prefits and a nut. Big horn uses a floating head and I've seen reference to some folks using a barrel nut with them but since there are remington nuts now I don't know if its remington or savage threading (and if so large or small shank). Neither list it on their site specifically that I recall.

There's a guy in YouTube shooting a factory stock 6.5 CM Savage LRP banging targets at 1300 yards.

Right but I was talking a basic 116, that factory barrel "may" be good and it might not, but the appeal on the savage is I can swap in a high quality prefit (could do that on a rem with a barrel nut too but those seem to benefit more from truing).

All man made parts can fail and will eventually fail. That being said I've seen 4 new remmy 700's sent back to Rem for crappy/failed parts recently (< last 3 months) But at the last match there were 2 guys from the savage pro team that had their 6.5 creeds fail with in 10 mins of each other from shooting in the rain and getting jacked up pressures. Both guys had to pull out of the shoot. So in short, everything can got to hell when you least expect it. On Remmys, replace the extractor and weld the bolt. You will take out 90% common failures. On savages, I don't know what fails, but if it were me, I would get a spare bolt and call it good. Custom actions have their weakness as well, extractors break, as well as bolt stops. Ive seen both go to crap. Personally I shoot remmys with the stated modifications. Just what I like and have faith in. But my comp rifle is a Borden and it can take a beating!
Chris
Benchmark Barrels

Getting back on topic :D, for what its worth I'd go 6.5x280 ack or 280 ack all day! I love those rounds!!
Chris
Benchmark Barrels

Getting back on topic :D, for what its worth I'd go 6.5x280 ack or 280 ack all day! I love those rounds!!
Chris
Benchmark Barrels

Speak of the devil (in terms of a barrel maker I was highly considering!), I saw mention in some other threads elsewhere you guys will make up prefit barrels for use with barrel nuts in house?

P.S. too bad I wasn't pursuing this a couple years ago, I wasn't too far south of you guys (Everett, WA); but I can't complain about the hunting out here. :cool:

6.5 looks interesting but I figured I'd stay with the 7mm/30cal turf to limit how many bullet calibers I play with (for now). 280ack does look pretty fun with the benefit of commercial brass (and ammo if need) but both sure command a premium (though probably not much of one once you factor in components to fire form them or any other wild cat and atleast dies are readily available).

Although I've gathered 7mag isn't vodoo to reload it does seemingly require extra dies (to body size separately) to get max life out of them where as -06 parent cases seem extremely straight forward.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.