new rifle/caliber

I'm inclined to favor it but... but what about shorter barrel life, plus somewhat difficult to find/expensive factory ammo and releasability issues? I'm just nitpicking here
You reload, so not an issue, any performance round will be harder on barrel life. This can somewhat be mitigated, don't shoot long stings fast and get your barrel hot, keep it clean... When / if you shoot it out, always have a new one fitted... I have and shoot quite a few calibers and the 6.5 PRC is one of my favorites, AWESOME mule deer round and super fun fer slappin steel way out there!!!

Your rifle now will do everything your asking. If you want to jump up a little and be able to buy Ammo until your set up to reload I would go with a 270 win. I would get one with a fast barrel and have it throated long. That way you can take advantage of the heavier monos that are offered now. Just my 2 cents. Good luck with your choice.

6.5prc ammo is easy to find on ammoseek and wikiarms. Specic choices might not be what to find, but there's ammo available.

You are not going to see any difference between the .308 vs the 6.5 creed while hunting. They both kill stuff, that being said at most "hunting" yardages you won't see much of a difference between the 6.5 creed and most non magnums. If you are going to step up to a rifle that will do more, then you have will have to buy a magnum. 300 win mag or 300 prc for hunting big game and will also bang some long range steel.

6.5 prc seems to be bearing down pretty heavy, along with a handful of the tried and proven classics.

what about the rifle?? I've given thought to a few such as several of the Bergara line up, Springfield waypoint, sig cross, savage 110 ultralite, browning and Howa. I would be considered a small guy at 5'9'' 135lbs. but have always been a hauler and heavy packer

You are not going to see any difference between the .308 vs the 6.5 creed while hunting. They both kill stuff, that being said at most "hunting" yardages you won't see much of a difference between the 6.5 creed and most non magnums. If you are going to step up to a rifle that will do more, then you have will have to buy a magnum. 300 win mag or 300 prc for hunting big game and will also bang some long range steel.

I think you have received plenty of advise on caliber, but what you may want to think about is the gun, since you said having multiple gun isn't an option right now. Look at a savage and Zermatt actions where you are able to order pre-fit barrels and change them out for a different caliber along with swapping out the bolt heads. I'm sure there are other actions that you can swap out bolt heads and have tight tolerances that someone else might suggest.

6.5 prc seems to be bearing down pretty heavy, along with a handful of the tried and proven classics.

what about the rifle?? I've given thought to a few such as several of the Bergara line up, Springfield waypoint, sig cross, savage 110 ultralite, browning and Howa. I would be considered a small guy at 5'9'' 135lbs. but have always been a hauler and heavy packer
There are a number of rifle manufacturers that are producing fine rifles now days. Budget will drive decisions for many. I've owned many of the brands you listed. Each had their pros and cons. If you can find a local gun store or a big box store like Sportsman's, I would suggest handling as many as possible. Fit and feel are very important. Things such as length of pull (LOP) can be determined by shouldering them. Weight can be a big factor depending on how you hunt. I won't list the companies that have reported customer service issues here, but do your research. You may never have a problem, but if you do, you will be served well by knowing about customer service issues. Good luck.

My 6.5 PRC is a Christensen ELR, some folks will bang on CA, I've had nothing but a positive experience. I have hunting loads that'll shoot into the .3's ALL DAY hot or cold temps clean or dirty bore. Can't ask for more than that in a hunting rifle. I am going to load for top accuracy and I'm pretty certain I can get those into the .2's. That being said I am a TOTAL Weatherby fan and if Weatherby offered their Carbon Mark Elite or Pro model in their 6.5 RPM I would have bought one of those. I'm totally happy with the CA ELR, it's really a BADDONKEY of a factory rifle and I can consistently slap our 8" plate off bench & bipod at 840 yds.

Between the two, .300 WSM. Load it with 215 Berger and your golden to 800Y+ on elk.
That is a popular load. In a factory rifle, I would probably focus my efforts between 175 - 190gr. In a long throated custom, I know it can power 212's pretty well.

That is a popular load. In a factory rifle, I would probably focus my efforts between 175 - 190gr. In a long throated custom, I know it can power 212's pretty well.
I have two .300 WSM (26" and 24") both are factory and unaltered except for a muzzle brake install. The 24" is propelling the 215 at 2850 FPS; no slouch IMHO.