Mountain Rifle Caliber

surprised no one said it yet..... 25 creedmoor. better ballistics than any 6.5 mentioned, flat shooting, low recoil, easy to find lots of excellent brass. easy to load for. fits great in a light TI short action. the 131gr Blackjack is your friend. it'll kill deer and elk inside 500 all day long and performs excellent past 1000yds. I've got one, and it's great.

He said he didn't want any magnums...:D

surprised no one said it yet..... 25 creedmoor. better ballistics than any 6.5 mentioned, flat shooting, low recoil, easy to find lots of excellent brass. easy to load for. fits great in a light TI short action. the 131gr Blackjack is your friend. it'll kill deer and elk inside 500 all day long and performs excellent past 1000yds. I've got one, and it's great.
I have got one as well, cept it's a 19# comp rig. Have a Tikka getting fit with a 1:7.5 proof carbon for the 257 saum deer/goat smasher. I'm truly excited for it. Between the 257 saum and 300 norma imp, I think I have everything covered minus a 22cal varmint gun.

He said he didn't want any magnums...:D

great part is, aside from on target energy, you're not losing anything to most of the big magnums. I mean, to really beat it in the wind for LR, you've gotta run a heavy 7mm, 300 or 338 real fast, and then your light mountain rifles hopes are dashed.

I'd want a 6.5 caliber bullet like a 140 vld, or a 147 ELD. A 6.5x47 or 6.5 Creedmoor would do nicely.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.