Mountain Rifle Caliber

Splitting hairs, but that's what we do. Agree on the SA cals. If could go to a LA and don't want to get into custom dies, etc, then standard 280 or 270. But since you reload a 280AI could be perfect. Maybe go with a 22-24" barrel in a slimmer profile to add some FPS and keep the weight down. Not great for range sessions, but on a Mt. light is right.

The 270 is a great MR cartridge can't go wrong. But a 6.5 Super LR on a short action with some Hornady 143or 147 would be awesome too

My 7SAUM with 168GR Berger VLD hunting projectiles is great medicine. In a Rem Model 7 makes for a light and not very expensive package. Vortex PST Gen 2 glass.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 105
I'm researching my next build. I'd like a light weight deer rifle, titanium action carbon barrel and stock. Shots will be under 500 yards but practice to 1000. I have 20 plus years reloading so over the counter ammo isn't needed. I'd like this rifle to be short (around a 20 inch barrel) so it is very packable. Also I don't want a magnum caliber. Any insight is welcome.

My vote is 260 or 260 AI. If you can spare a couple inches in a long action the 280 AI will be badazz.

At the risk of attracting supporter status, I'd suggest the 6.5PRC chambering.

Good options for SA bullets if you reload, and a solid factory option of 143gr ELD-X if you don't - with MV at 2960.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.