New to LRH - caliber / rifle selection

SteveVio

I am new to LRH and looking to get set up with a rifle that I can both hunt with and also target shoot. I already have a a- bolt 300 win mag and I am not recoil sensitive as my mass is greater than 1/8th of a Ton..............

I will primarily target shoot and want to be able to advance to the 1000 yard range and shoot .5 MOA or better at 100 yards

Currently I am a shotgun/trap guy and reload- also am getting going with handguns for target shooting and starting to reload brass

My current intention is to hunt elk and Julie's in the NW with the 300WM but I am interested in practicing with a smaller caliber and honing my skills at the range

I have read for hours here- thoughts are between a .243 or 6.5 or even 7mm. I will reload and tune the ammo for both rifles (300Wm) and what ever else I come up with- also - I shoot lefty

Budget is in the 2K range and I will ad a scope (also a photographer that appreciates good quality glass)

Recommendations/opinions/suggestions welcome

Thanks

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.