Custom Rifle caliber

TARGETMAN

I want to build a 600-800 yd rifle that will be used for mule deer, elk, kudu, etc up to and including eland (if I can get all that out of one caliber). I have a Rem 700 Ti in .30-'06 that I am considering customizing into an Ackley Imp.

Question 1: Is the '06 AI worth the effort? (I know it wont be an eland gun but should do everything else fine)

Question 2: Is there a better caliber for what I am wanting?

How about a 300Win mag, or a 338 Win Mag. Should be minimal trouble. The 338 would definitely be good enough for Eland, but you would pay with recoil. Length of the 300Win Mag, 338Win Mag and 30-06 are close enough you shouldn't have any problem with magazine length.

AJ

Reaming out to the Ackley Improved version will probably get you 100 fps +/-. I have an '06AI with a 25" barrel and it will do 2950 fps with a 180 gr bullet.

The 300 Ultramag will do 3200 fps with the 200 gr Nosler Accubond in a 26" barrel and that bullet has a BC of .588. It will lay the smackdown on any of the species you listed out to your max yardage, but it does have fairly brisk recoil. A muzzle brake would tame the recoil but hearing protection must be worn at all times when shooting with some of the more effective brakes. The 300 and 338 Win mags would also be very good choices. The 200 gr Accubond can be launched at around 2950 fps with the 300 WM and the 225 gr Accubond with BC .550 can be launched around 2850-2900 fps by the 338 WM.

Remington does not recommend opening up the bolt face on the '06 to receive a magnum caliber due to strength issues. I really wanted to build a .300 Win Mag with this Ti action. I do have a .325 WSM but the recoil is brisk and a little too much for me to shoot (I weigh a whopping 160lb). I would go ahead and customize the .325 but I feel that would be a waste of money on that caliber. A .300 Win Mag weighing 8-9 lbs complete, 25-26" barrel with removable muzzlebreak was what my original goal was. Maybe I should just sell all my rifles and go back to shooting clays...NEVER!!! hehe

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.