Caliber choices

I think it depends on how much elk hunting you plan to do. For a whitetail rifle, I'd use the 7mm RM, but if the elk hunting has any regularity to it, then maybe 300 WM. If it was only elk, moose, no whitetail, I'd do 338 WM. Not that 338 can't be used on deer or 7mm can't be used on elk, but maybe there is something better.

Cabelas Hazelwood has a Cooper M52 in 338-06 for 1699.00
Nosler has custom ammo 180 gr and up, BT or accubond.
This caliber would serve all your needs quite nicely.

My little brother was an engineer and asked me what gun to get (for deer hunting), while we were in a sporting goods store.
I said there were a bunch of variables?
The Old gentleman next to me interrupted and said, "You pick the biggest caliber you are comfortable shooting, because there is no such thing as too dead."
Go large or go home!!:D

I like most of those choices, but agree with a lot of the hunters in this thread 300wm hard to beat. I've loaded mine for deer, and antelope with 160g noslers, 180g and 190g for elk. It's brass is never hard to get, very accurate, and distance is there, lots of loading options, I've had 338 but didn't enjoy it much and basically 300wm do most everything it did and maybe better. I like 7mm just think it's a little lite on elk, and moose not that it won't work with good shot, don't think it has the knockdown the 300wn mag does. Don't like chasing elk for a mile after I shoot them, fifty yards far enough for me. And I say this because I have before with a friend of mine who used a 7mm with a pretty good shot.

Couple of questions, if you're not shooting elr, and you might only go hunting for elk or moose on occasion what's wrong with the 300 win you already have? Nothing against the idea of having a Cooper or more rifles, but if the 300 win is a good shooter instead of possibly buying another 300 win or one of the others, (no real advantage in your situation) why not customize or buy some really good glass? I mean anything on that list is going to be adequate or overkill for deer and even if you are very tolerant of recoil you're probably not going to spend a lot of time at the range with the big boomers. I handle recoil ok, but even with a brake bug muzzle blast sucks

I am trying to buy a few rifles that are of higher quality that i could pass down to my kids when they get older.

I think it depends on how much elk hunting you plan to do. For a whitetail rifle, I'd use the 7mm RM, but if the elk hunting has any regularity to it, then maybe 300 WM. If it was only elk, moose, no whitetail, I'd do 338 WM. Not that 338 can't be used on deer or 7mm can't be used on elk, but maybe there is something better.

This is very solid advice.

As someone that has a child and one that has killed over 20 animals with bow and rifle at the age of 14 I will give you my opinion and what I have done.

I purchase rifles for myself for my needs. Which will be his, when I'm gone. HOWEVER, I purchase him rifles for his needs. My wants and needs, in many cases are not his wants or needs. I feel we put too much thought into our rifles. They are simply a tool. Some have sentimental value, and others are no different than a shovel in his mind. I have a rifle (Rem 700 Mountain Rifle DM in 7mm-08) that he has killed numerous animals with when he was 8-10 years old. These were obvious firsts. I have a rifle that was handed down (Marlin 336 in 30-30) that I shot my first deer with, and my dad shot his first with that same rifle, that makes it worth something to us.

My advise is to guy what is needed, the value to your children will be based on their experience with that rifle. If you are buying super mags and what not thinking your young children will "care" about it in 50 years, I believe you will be very disappointed.

Just my thoughts Sir!

Steve

After doing some research i have decided to purchase a Cooper rifle. At the moment I am looking at a few different models. Depending on the caliber I choose depends on which model i get. My caliber choices are;300 win, 30 nosler,300 rum( low on the list),340 weatherby(very low on the list), 300 prc,7 win mag 338win or 33 nosler. The rifle will be primarly used for whitetail but will also be used for elk or moose if i ever get a chance to hunt them. What caliber would yall choose. If it helps i already have a 300 win that i might be looking at selling.
I would throw ,270 wsm into your list. Just to make your decision harder! But 80 % of your caliber selections are heavy just to primarily shoot deer. 270 won't have a problem knocking down Moose or Elk.....if you ever hunt them

If you have elk in your future (or anything else big or that bites) I would vote for a .338 RUM (I know, not on your list, still, it's a good elk round). A second choice would be the .338 WM, as long as you realize it's an obsolete cartridge as the belt is totally unnecessary. Another good choice would be the 300 RUM. Since you reload you can easily tailor ammo to the situation as there is no need for a 200 or 250 gr. bullet to take a WT. Even though I don't have either of the RUM cartridges, I did load development for a buddy with a 300 and i fell in love with them. Accurate in his R700 with 200 gr. Partitions leaving at 2945, he has taken several deer with that load and there are elk in his future as well. I also got as many as 15 loads out of several pieces of brass, *during load development!* I lost a few pieces around 7 or 8 but mostly it's been a dream to work with. I'm going to be working up another load, probably with 165 Partitions for his young daughter who actually likes shooting daddy's 300! Kid is probably nuts but who cares, she's having a blast so who's to argue with that?
Cheers,
crkckr

After doing some research i have decided to purchase a Cooper rifle. At the moment I am looking at a few different models. Depending on the caliber I choose depends on which model i get. My caliber choices are;300 win, 30 nosler,300 rum( low on the list),340 weatherby(very low on the list), 300 prc,7 win mag 338win or 33 nosler. The rifle will be primarly used for whitetail but will also be used for elk or moose if i ever get a chance to hunt them. What caliber would yall choose. If it helps i already have a 300 win that i might be looking at selling.
I absolutely love my 300RUM. I had it built 9 years ago and I'm glad I did. With that being said I won't plan on ever shooting a whitetail with it again. I'd bruise less meat with my 1 ton pickup. If your staying inside 500yds the good ol 7Mag is tough to beat on anything you mentioned. Although I'm excited to try my new 6.5 Weatherby on a few things.

Good morning. I currently own several Coopers and a couple of the calibers you mentioned. One of my favorites is a 52 in 30 Nosler. Very accurate and not finicky from a reloading standpoint. I sold a 56 in 300WM. It loved the lighter bullets but struggled in the accuracy department with anything over 165/168Gr. The 56 I have in 338 Win is very accurate as well. It's little heavy for deer in my humble opinion, but to each their own.

I absolutely love my 300RUM. I had it built 9 years ago and I'm glad I did. With that being said I won't plan on ever shooting a whitetail with it again. I'd bruise less meat with my 1 ton pickup...

That is the beauty of reloading, you can always load up some 150 or even 180 bullets for the 'little' critters! Even for my .308 I loaded 100 or 110 gr. bullets for dinking around with bunnies or whatnot and kept the 165 Partitions for serious work. I do the same with my 270 (90, 130 & 150's) and .338 WM (200 gr. stuff downloaded a bit for plinking while keeping the 210 & 250 Partitions for hunting. Rolling your own can be very rewarding!
Cheers,
crkckr

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.