Caliber choices

COREY -
Cooper, nice! Hard choice.
Although far from your top choices. 300 Rum fits your game. If you reload it is easy beans, plus off the self deals abound. Cooper can tame the Rum way down to a comfy
push. You most likely will not ever sell but if you do 300 Rums built hold value. Give it some thought. Let us know

I have shot whitetail deer with a 416 Ruger and a 416 Rigby. Both very dead, both with less meat damage than with a 270! My go to rifle is a 375 Ruger. Whitetails and pig very dead! No more meat damage than any of the others you have listed. Use you 300 WM and get a 375 and you are set for anywhere in the world!

Cooper's are great rifles, I've had 5 and they all shot at least half MOA. Still have two, a .22 and a 22-250 on it's second barrel. Personally if I could only have one rifle it would be a 7 rem mag. I've shot everything from prairie dogs to numerous elk with one, including a bull at 1098 yards. Between a daughter, a grandson, and myself we've shot 7 elk with the same 7-08. I wouldn't hesitate to shoot moose with it either... using a Barnes bullet.

I hear you about Hornady brass, although it's priced pretty dang fair for the 300 PRC ($45/50 cases).
SOCOM is rebarreling the 300 win mag sniper rifles to 300 PRC so that alone should tell you that really good brass is coming, I'm going out on a limb and predicting that Lapua picks this one up in the next few years..
The 300 PRC is a very well designed cartridge that needs no special throating for heavy LR bullets.
Mark my words it'll be extremely popular and well supported.
Of course this is just my lowly opinion..:)
It will need long Magnum magazine length for long solids like the 198 Warner Flatline @1.8" bullet length. I haven't looked at the 300 PRC dimensions yet. I am sure it doesn't have the conservative powder space capacity as the 7mm LRM (Same parent case)

Just my 2 cents go big or go home 340 weatherby all the way lol.[/QUOTEI I don't need the bullet weight or the recoil, but if I did I wouldn't use a belted Magnum case; I would use a 338 Allen Express (338 Lapua Magnum Improved). I just have never had any interest in Weatherby Cartridges.

After doing some research i have decided to purchase a Cooper rifle. At the moment I am looking at a few different models. Depending on the caliber I choose depends on which model i get. My caliber choices are;300 win, 30 nosler,300 rum( low on the list),340 weatherby(very low on the list), 300 prc,7 win mag 338win or 33 nosler. The rifle will be primarly used for whitetail but will also be used for elk or moose if i ever get a chance to hunt them. What caliber would yall choose. If it helps i already have a 300 win that i might be looking at selling.
Ok, I'm guaranteed to get flamed for this, but I'm going to wade and put my $.02in. And I promise it is worth what you paid for it. IMO it is like this: Using conventional lead core bullets as a baseline, 500ftlbs for coyote size animals, 1000 for deer, 1500 for elk, @1800 min impact velocity. All depends on how far away you need these minimums as to selecting the cartridge to get there. This can be played around with with specialized bullets, but I personally use this when selecting a cartridge. As long as you are realistic in choosing max range, I don't feel you will ever be undergunned this way. You will always have a fudge factor that is a good thing.

After doing some research i have decided to purchase a Cooper rifle. At the moment I am looking at a few different models. Depending on the caliber I choose depends on which model i get. My caliber choices are;300 win, 30 nosler,300 rum( low on the list),340 weatherby(very low on the list), 300 prc,7 win mag 338win or 33 nosler. The rifle will be primarly used for whitetail but will also be used for elk or moose if i ever get a chance to hunt them. What caliber would yall choose. If it helps i already have a 300 win that i might be looking at selling.
Your already looking at the big boys rounds. I would say all about where you hunt. Long range up to 1350 ft or under 600.
The 33 nosler with 225 grns looks nice on load data but have never played with it. On the flats we use 338 lapua 225 sst 3140 fps retumbo 96 grns GWT brass 1:9 twist barrel. But saying that the 300 win mag is comparable with energy with a smaller bullet.

Since you have the 300 win, and if you want more power and rang I would go with what's going to suit your needs better.

I would look more into the 300 prc, or 33 nosler.

Like you I have absolutely no problems with recoil, Love my 416 Rem
That Said many calibers unless you are an extreme trophy hunter are more gun than needed.I Own a few Coopers and would love a few more as I think you are as close to a Custom gun as it gets, but how about something in the warmer 6.5 arena?
Plenty of power, easy to shoot and reload,.....no I don't mean Creedmore for God's sakes.
We shoot a lot of big deer out here in the west with these, and they kill deer well.
And since it sounds like you might be ordering one I might see what Cooper has to offer in this Caliber. Even my little lightweight 260 is shooting 140 gr Bergers @ 2950 FPS Real Easy to load for, accurate...
And it Kills, not to mention when I go to the range with it it smacks the 950 yard gong with authority, and I cant seem to get away from it without shooting at least 20 times you just love shooting it. This year we killed a few deer and a really nice antelope, just a fun caliber to shoot.Either way I am sure you will be happy with the Cooper.

OP already has a .300 Win Mag. Looking to get a new rifle. Of the choices he listed, only the 7mm Rem Mag and the .338 Win Mag are 'different' enough from what he already owns to be worth considering. Factor in that the primary mission of the new rifle will be deer (with potential elk/moose hunt at some point) and that points to the 7mm Rem Mag as the most logical choice. Less recoil than the others. Tons of power for the game animals mentioned. Tons of bullet choices (he reloads). Shoots very flat. Download bullet weight for varmints; upload bullet weight for the big game (elk/moose.) Factory ammo available everywhere. Reloading components are abundant and easy to come buy. Seems like the most LOGICAL choice. But it rarely comes to that, does it? So answer is easy - which caliber most excites/interests you at the moment? GET THAT.

I'm sure I'll start an argument here so here goes . If he is looking to get a magnum with the intent of elk and moose hunting I do not see the logic behind the 7 mm . I completely understand that is a hell of an elk cartridge but moose I'd be very skeptical . That's my opinion I've never took a shot at a moose have seen 2 in Minnesota and they were plenty big and very thick. I wouldn't want to spend all the money and time and backpacking to go moose hunting and Not have more than enough gun . JUST MY OPINION. As I said before go big or go home 340 weatherby! I can guarantee that the 7 mm will kill any moose walking but why chance a once in a lifetime shot.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.