Caliber choices

corey suir

After doing some research i have decided to purchase a Cooper rifle. At the moment I am looking at a few different models. Depending on the caliber I choose depends on which model i get. My caliber choices are;300 win, 30 nosler,300 rum( low on the list),340 weatherby(very low on the list), 300 prc,7 win mag 338win or 33 nosler. The rifle will be primarly used for whitetail but will also be used for elk or moose if i ever get a chance to hunt them. What caliber would yall choose. If it helps i already have a 300 win that i might be looking at selling.

Last edited:
Really comes down to personal preference and numerous other factors.

300wm and 7mm are probably the most economical and versatile options.

7mm would be a good choice and 300wm is hard to beat.

Do you reload? Is there a cost factor? Is barrel life a concern? What is your range limitation on elk? Recoil tolerance?

These are some questions you should consider. I've owned all the above other than the 2 Noslers and the 300 prc
And all of them will be effective.

338 WM

Case closed.

The 33 Nosler wants to be something it's not. It's very much a compromise cartridge like so many of the other newly/recently introduced cartridges.

Get the Win Mag or go whole hog with a real super mag.

I'm a huge fan of the.338 WM. Generally, excellent accuracy, large variety of factory loads, larger variety of reloading components, very well established cartridge for good availability, tolerable recoil in a reasonably light format (8 to 9 pounds loaded/scoped). Great "all around" cartridge for everything in NA, from deer/antelope to the big bears of Alaska. There's not much more that you could ask of any cartridge! memtb

I do reload so that isnt a problem. As far as recoil it doesnt bother me. I have fun plinking with my 45-70. As far as range limitations i would feel comfortable at 500.

The 300 Win Mag is going to be hard to beat as a do all cartridge. My current favorite is the 30 Nosler. It has enough more performance over the 300 Win to make it worth it for me, especially with it throated longer. I do not see a huge advantage to the 338 unless you want to shoot elr. The 7s certainly have their place but not in my book as a do everything cartridge.

All of the cartridges you list would be great on elk or moose out to 500 yards. Which means they'd all be great on deer (if not a bit much). So my first suggestion would be the 7mmRM, as it's the lightest shooting of those you mentioned (none of them are soft shooting). You can always get more, but that's not an efficacy question, it's a personal preference.

My second suggestion is to buy a lighter weight deer rifle in a softer shooting cartridge. It sounds like that's what you'll be using it for most. Then, when that elk or moose hunt comes up, get a rifle for the task in any of the cartridges you list.

All of the cartridges you list would be great on elk or moose out to 500 yards. Which means they'd all be great on deer (if not a bit much). So my first suggestion would be the 7mmRM, as it's the lightest shooting of those you mentioned (none of them are soft shooting). You can always get more, but that's not an efficacy question, it's a personal preference.

My second suggestion is to buy a lighter weight deer rifle in a softer shooting cartridge. It sounds like that's what you'll be using it for most. Then, when that elk or moose hunt comes up, get a rifle for the task in any of the cartridges you list.

jebel i have a few lighter weight rifles. My current favorite is my 7mm08.

After doing some research i have decided to purchase a Cooper rifle. At the moment I am looking at a few different models. Depending on the caliber I choose depends on which model i get. My caliber choices are;300 win, 30 nosler,300 rum( low on the list),340 weatherby(very low on the list), 300 prc,7 win mag 338win or 33 nosler. The rifle will be primarly used for whitetail but will also be used for elk or moose if i ever get a chance to hunt them. What caliber would yall choose. If it helps i already have a 300 win that i might be looking at selling.
300 PRC
This round is going to make a serious splash

My biggest concern with 300 PRC at the moment is brass availability. I am not impressed with Hornady brass and I believe that is the only option at the moment. I am sure other brass will come out but becomes a timing issue.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.