Caliber choices for a re--barrel job...

bookworm

I have a .338 WM that I'm thinking of rebarreling and I'd like some suggestions for good long range hunting options. The rifle is a Tikka M695 so I don't currently have enough room to load VLD's at extended lengths.

I'm thinking of something like a 7WSM where it would fit the current bolt face and be a short enough case to shoot the longer VLD's in the factory magazine.

However, I don't know what my other options might be to fit the current bolt face and have a short enough case.

Application is long range big game...and of course lots of paper and rocks.

Any suggestions?

In some cases the WSM brass won't clear the feed rails without alterations. One approach is to install a mag box with its own "feed rails" which are really feed lips. The reciever has to altered either way.

If you chose the SAUM or RCM cases they will fit without any feed rail alterations. The case capacity is a bit smaller but with high BC bullets you will have some great downrange performance with longer barrel life and less recoil than the huge cases.

Last year I did an experiment with the 338 RCM and had it long throated for a LA I had hanging around. I really wanted the 250 Berger VLD but they haven't made it yet. So I experimented with the 300 gr SMK and when Berger came out with their second generation 300 gr Hybrid I tried it too. Both 300 gr bullets shoot wonderfully and the OAL fits and feeds fine from the Mark X action. Velocity is low as is the powder charge but downrange wind drift is very minimal for this strange package.

57 gr of RL-17, 2575 fps (29" barrel)

338RCMJuly182011002.jpg

338RCMJuly182011001.jpg

Heavy7RemMag005.jpg

I think the 7 SAUM would be a great chambering. Make a dummy and figure out where you wnat the 180 or 168 VLD or even the 162 A-max to be seated then have a reamer made to your specs. The 7 SAUM is high on my list to do next.

Let us know what you end up doing with lots of details.

The 338 win mag you have is far better than a 7 wsm. But if you want to upgrade talk to Devin at Sinarms about putting a 338 SIN barrel on there. Now you are ready for the big time with a cartridge that fits well on your action. I have a Tikka T-3 in 338 SIN and it is an excellent 1000 yard rifle. I am shooting a 225 grain .64 bc cutting edge hunting bullet over 3100 fps. It is devastating on game. Check out the ballistics on jbm and see what I mean.

I have a .338 WM that I'm thinking of rebarreling and I'd like some suggestions for good long range hunting options. The rifle is a Tikka M695 so I don't currently have enough room to load VLD's at extended lengths.

I'm thinking of something like a 7WSM where it would fit the current bolt face and be a short enough case to shoot the longer VLD's in the factory magazine.

However, I don't know what my other options might be to fit the current bolt face and have a short enough case.

Application is long range big game...and of course lots of paper and rocks.

Any suggestions?

You might also want to check out the thread on this forum (New 30/375 wildcat) ....rich

As usual, great info...that bolt face info was exactly what I was looking for.

Of course I do have a couple follow up questions:

One issue I'm having is that the Tikka detachable magazine does not have much "extra" room to load VLD's for long action cases like the 338. My initial thought was to go with a short action round that would fit the 338 bolt face.

If I put a new McMillan stock on it, is there a way to open up the magazine well for longer rounds, or is the stock made to fit the factory magazine?

AZShooter - thanks for the tips...I've heard of feeding problems on the WSM cases so I'll need to experiment with that a little bit. I don't know much about SAUM or RCM cases, so I guess I have some homework to do on that.

LongTimeLongRanger - I'm interested in why you think the 338 WM is far better than the 7 wsm. I'm reading up on the 338 Sin...but won't I have the same problems with the short magazine with the 338 Sin as I am with the 338 WM? Are there other solutions to that problem other than rechambering?

The 338 winchester is a far better killer within the effective range of a 7mm wsm on large big game. I have no feeding problems with my 338 wm Tikka using quality hunting bullets. It is a great 800 yard rifle. That is about the limit most people can effectively shoot the light Tikkas. The 338 win mag blows a big hole through stuff at that range with the big heavy bullet causing extreme damage and is extremely deadly. Much more so than a 7mm.

As usual, great info...that bolt face info was exactly what I was looking for.

Of course I do have a couple follow up questions

If I put a new McMillan stock on it, is there a way to open up the magazine well for longer rounds

I believe mcmillian and don't forget manners will inlet the bottom to accept what mags you choose to run. I would call them to make sure that it works with your action but should be able to go that route

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.