Caliber choices

For your Cartridge selection I would go with a 7mm Rem mag for many reasons:
Wide range of bullet weights
Less powder use
Great Ballistics and higher BC's
Longer barrell life
Kills anything from small game to large game with the proper buller.

Best regards

LVJ76

For my part 7mm rem mag. Deer and moose are no problem. Wide range of bullets to choose from, a lot of ammunition available everywhere, low recoil, and if reloading well,, components are available everywhere. just use the proper bullet.

Just to play the Devils advocate, have you done research on the 300 WSM? When you are beating yourself up on the side of a mountain looking for the great Wapiti every ounce you carry with you counts. I really prefer the short action and the shorter barrel with almost the same ballistics as the 300 WM.

I'd look up that 338-06 on page 2 that was mentioned...great round and stellar with a 225 grain bullet. I like the 33 Nosler too--338 win mag is hard to beat for a hunting cartridge--if not reloader I probably do 338 win mag...

All of the cartridges you list would be great on elk or moose out to 500 yards. Which means they'd all be great on deer (if not a bit much). So my first suggestion would be the 7mmRM, as it's the lightest shooting of those you mentioned (none of them are soft shooting). You can always get more, but that's not an efficacy question, it's a personal preference.

My second suggestion is to buy a lighter weight deer rifle in a softer shooting cartridge. It sounds like that's what you'll be using it for most. Then, when that elk or moose hunt comes up, get a rifle for the task in any of the cartridges you list.
SENSE!

After doing some research i have decided to purchase a Cooper rifle. At the moment I am looking at a few different models. Depending on the caliber I choose depends on which model i get. My caliber choices are;300 win, 30 nosler,300 rum( low on the list),340 weatherby(very low on the list), 300 prc,7 win mag 338win or 33 nosler. The rifle will be primarly used for whitetail but will also be used for elk or moose if i ever get a chance to hunt them. What caliber would yall choose. If it helps i already have a 300 win that i might be looking at selling.
i went with a 300 WSM and have taken moose and elk with it ! i would go lighter for deer such as 6.5x284 , 280 nosler !

All of the cartridges you list would be great on elk or moose out to 500 yards. Which means they'd all be great on deer (if not a bit much). So my first suggestion would be the 7mmRM, as it's the lightest shooting of those you mentioned (none of them are soft shooting). You can always get more, but that's not an efficacy question, it's a personal preference.

My second suggestion is to buy a lighter weight deer rifle in a softer shooting cartridge. It sounds like that's what you'll be using it for most. Then, when that elk or moose hunt comes up, get a rifle for the task in any of the cartridges you list.
you can reload the 7mmRM with 168 or 175 gr. bullets for larger game ! i have taken moose with mine !

After doing some research i have decided to purchase a Cooper rifle. At the moment I am looking at a few different models. Depending on the caliber I choose depends on which model i get. My caliber choices are;300 win, 30 nosler,300 rum( low on the list),340 weatherby(very low on the list), 300 prc,7 win mag 338win or 33 nosler. The rifle will be primarly used for whitetail but will also be used for elk or moose if i ever get a chance to hunt them. What caliber would yall choose. If it helps i already have a 300 win that i might be looking at selling.

I agree with you, I am a big fan of the Cooper rifle.
Regarding caliber, I would prefer the Cooper in a 7mag with a directional break. I like the ballistics on the 7 mag vs the .30 calibers. Most of the animals you will killing are going to be whitetails... a little over-gunned with the .30 cal. Yet, you will have absolutely no problem wearing out an Elk or moose with the 7mag.... far more flexibility with that caliber IMO.

If you are reloading Ild look really hard at a 7 rem you can run 175-195 and kill anything at 500 in N America. Big bears would be the only thing that would cause me to consider going up to a 30 or 338

I have the 300WM and have it for the same reasons you are wanting your new choice for. I load 155gr for whitetail and shoot 210gr for long range. Haven't had a chance to go elk hunting but will use the 210gr when I do.

Short of a .338 or a Chet, there's nothing that will beat a 300 Norma mag .284 with a 195 grain Berger bullet!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.