bullet selection help

Thanks for everyone who's replied I'm getting both sides and its great. My Friend and I have these same discussions all the time. I don't have the coin to change calibers at this time so I'm going with the 7 rem for now if after alot of shooting I don't feel confortable shooting elk at 1000 then I'll shoot them closer and wait until I can go with something bigger. I picked the savage for this reason if it doesn't achieve what I want I'll try agian the building for me is half the fun of it. Thanks agian for all the input.

adam

what do you guys think of retumbo I was palnning on useing it for my loads if it shoots well in my rifle.

Mine shoots 71.5 to 73.0 grains easily. I think I settled on 72.0.

H1000, and 4831SC are also good choices.

I recommend the RL22 powder for the 7mm Rem Mag. In mine, it is the absolute best. I've tried a lot of different powders too (been shooting/reloading the 7RM for 30 years). I have always got better accuracy and been able to use more powder for a bit better velocity using the non-magnum primers in the 7RM. I use the Fed 9 1/2 with the RL22. I've settled on the 160gr Accubond. RL22 should behave similarly with the 168 Berger.

It is a great round, but long range elk is why I now have a 338AM and 338 Edge. My 7RM is my walk around/dark timber rifle.

Good Luck,
AJ

first off a 7 stw is not a 7 rem.
if you had any experience of your own on 1000 yd. shots w/ the 7 rem on any game animal, you would have a different opinion.
as i stated, it is not an ideal 1000 yd. elk cartridge.
can it kill one at that distance? absolutly,but so could a 280 rem for that matter.
BUT, is it a good choice? no it is not, considering all the better options available.
listen, i own 2 7x300 wbys. they are similar to a 7 stw.
with a 162 amax, im getting 3400 fps.
thats about 350 fps more than you will get w/a 7 rem. w/ same bullet.
you know why i own a 7x300 ?
you know why i also own a 30x378?
1 size dont fit all bubb, and that goes for guns as well as wrenches.

"first off a 7 stw is not a 7 rem."

I didn't say it was. I said at the 1350 yards it was used at the payload was equal to the 7rem at 1k. It was obviously effective.

"if you had any experience of your own on 1000 yd. shots w/ the 7 rem on any game animal, you would have a different opinion."

If I had 1000 yard shot opportunities with the 7rem I'd have dead animals.

"as i stated, it is not an ideal 1000 yd. elk cartridge."

Agreed. However, it is an adequate 1k elk round.

"can it kill one at that distance? absolutly,but so could a 280 rem for that matter.
BUT, is it a good choice? no it is not, considering all the better options available."

Only thing I disagree with is calling it a poor choice.

"listen, i own 2 7x300 wbys. they are similar to a 7 stw.
with a 162 amax, im getting 3400 fps.
thats about 350 fps more than you will get w/a 7 rem. w/ same bullet."

Handy, but I'm not sure what the point is. My 7 is a Dakota. 189caut at 3000fps. BC is .8. Good for way past 1k.

"you know why i own a 7x300 ?
you know why i also own a 30x378?
1 size dont fit all bubb, and that goes for guns as well as wrenches."

I'm guessin' you like weatherby's and overbore cases.
As for North American big game (excluding big bears) one size indeed fits all. And the 7rem is about as good a choice as there is.

Bubb? I been bubbed now? Looks like a four letter word. Uh-oh.

grit.
well grit we'll never agree on this till youve seen it for yourself.
but first, i didnt badmouth the 7 mag.
i also consider it an excellant all round cartridge.
i would go up against any north american animal including big bears, armed with one.
it is also a fine long range hunting cartridge. but not at 1000 yds and especially not on large animals like elk at that distance.
if it was all i had, would i use it? sure i would, but id be keeping the distance under about 800
still a very nice shot in my opinion.
now as for weatherby, i dont own a weatherby, except for a mark 5 action on one of my guns.
weatherby dosent build a 30x378, at least not a real 30x378, due to barrel lgnth.
but then chevy dosent build race cars either, do they?
mine is a custom actioned heavy bench gun w/ a 36" barrel.
am i opinionated? **** right i am.
ive spent alot of years watching animals being shot at long distances.
it dosent always work out well regardless of rifle, or shooter.
funny how we never seem to hear about those incidents.
only the ones having bragging rights get mentioned, at least in public.
if we have the right to shoot at animals at very long distances,
we are obligated to at least use the proper tools, to the point of too much, rather than too little.
sorry, but your 3000 fps 7 mm dosent cut much mustard in todays world.

Thanks grit and yobuck your opinions has envoked alot of pondering. I'm going to stick with the rem for now because I want to make sure I'm able to put the shots where it counts when it counts before I spend alot more money on it. I have never shot that far. Thats why I joined this site figured it best to talk to the ones who actually do shoot that far to help me out. I'm getting anxious for spring and gophers My friend and I usually go on a 4 day gopher shoot in Apr-May they don't test bullets toughness but do present a very small target, the adult are only the size of a beer can, the young ones smaller than that.So far my best is 400 yds with an of the shelf 25/06 and a 3 x 9 burris.It will show me pretty fast how tough its going to be to get the consistancey needed to go after game.Its a great humbling experience and also builds confidence after hitting a gopher at 400 I had no misgivings with shooting a mule deer the same distance one shot to the spine and he never moved agian. thanks agian

adam

adam,
good luck to you, it sounds like you are headed in the right direction.
go slowly, and gain confidence as you go.
when you reach the point of needing more gun, or ability, you will know.
to your ownself be true, and you'll have no problems.
get yourself good binnoculars that can be tripod mounted.
by far your most valuable tool.
also a reliable companion to assist in calling shots.
you will amaze yourself with what you can do.

No, we won't agree. If you feel obligated to use "too much" go right ahead. I don't.

Better have another look at my sorry 3000fps .8bc Dakota. It's got less drift, more energy, better accuracy, and twice the barrel life. But hey, yours makes more noise.

I'm done clutterin' up this fellows thread. If you still want to argue feel free to send a pm.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts