Bullet Selection

timmymic

Starting to reload of my 6.5 prc for mule deer and I am stuck trying to decide what bullet to go with... how do you all decide on a bullet?

Things I am considering but not limited to
Swift Scirrocco
Nosler Accubond
Nosler Accubond Long Range
Hornady ELD (X or M)
Sierra Game Changer
Hammer Sledge Hammers

Steve, are the 131HH in production? And how would they be in 8 twist at say 7000'?

Rhett
They are. Designed for the 7.5" twist or faster they will probably shoot well at your elevation but I prefer higher stability for hunting. It will keep the bullet point forward better after impact and will aid in terminal performance.

They are. Designed for the 7.5" twist or faster they will probably shoot well at your elevation but I prefer higher stability for hunting. It will keep the bullet point forward better after impact and will aid in terminal performance.
Gotcha. Just curious. TY.

I second the 124 hammer. I switched to them in my 6.5 creed. For reasons stated above. I realized that my limit for distance was within the distance I could get with the hammers. I looked at it two ways. Yes I could hit steel farther with the 147gr but it didn't have enough steam to make me feel comfortable hitting game with it. I am ok out to 500-600 depending on game. But to be honest if I have one chance for my animals I will always close the distance if I can. Pigs don't care I'll try them out a ways. After that distance I bring a bigger gun.
I have been very impressed with the hammers in my 6.5. So happy Steve is currently doing load work for my .300 win mag and putting a painkiller on.

I'm a fan of the Barnes 127 hrs LRX for 6.5mm. It shoots great and holds together on game at all ranges I've used it. I've been shooting it in my 6.5 Creedmoor, but once I shoot out the barrel on this 270WSM it will get a 6.5 PRC barrel on it and unless Barnes gives a heavier LRX bullet in the future I will use the 127gr.

I've tried all sorts of rounds and Barnes I settled on for good terminal performance and not destroying meat. (Since I actually enjoy eating what I kill and hate loosing meat due to excessive damage)
Some of the Bullets I ran through the test:
Hornady ELD-X, InterBond, interlock, scirocco, Speer SP...

Try a few off your list and keep in mind other monos like Barnes TTSX or Hornady GMX. All are good offerings and can be dialed in for great accuracy. Much about selection is specific to your rifle and not all rifles dial in any one specific bullet brand or type.

The Barnes 127 LRX . 120 TTSX and 130 TSX shoot well. TTSX and TSX have always been very accurate in my 30 . 7mm .6.5 and 6mm rifles. I'd give them a try for sure.
I used 143 ELDX on 3 whitetail does last year out of a Tikka 6.5 Creed.
Flawless one shot drops. Forgot to say they were all 300 to 432 yds. Trying Hammers this year .

Last edited:
Hey Rhett. I bought some 131 Hammer Hunters for my 6.5 PRC and Creeds a couple months ago. They wotk well in 1 in 8 .
Timmymic, I've had good luck with 143 ELDX. 140 Berger VLD and Elites. 140 Accubonds.
I plugged it in on Bergers calculator and it gives me 1.68SG @ 7000' and 3000MV. But at Houston altitude, 1.3SG. What altitude were you at WYO?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.