Bullet Selection

You bought a 6.5 PRC rifle to take advantage of its faster velocity over say, 6.5 Creedmoor.

I'd go with Hornady 143 gr. ELD-X bullets to take advantage of the greater velocity of your cartridge over 6.5 Creedmoor, for example.

I will say that your barrel should have been made with a 1:7 twist to handle the heavier 6.5 bullets that the 6.5 PRC can utilize. Why it has only 1:8 twist is beyond me. Virtually all new 6.5 PRC rifles now have 1:7 twist.

Eric B.

Nothing wrong with 8 twist. 7-7 1/2 for heavy monos but for hunting, 8 shoots 95 %everything offered on the market. At least in the cartridges that hold powder. At least that's what I see for what I want.

Starting to reload of my 6.5 prc for mule deer and I am stuck trying to decide what bullet to go with... how do you all decide on a bullet?

Things I am considering but not limited to
Swift Scirrocco
Nosler Accubond
Nosler Accubond Long Range
Hornady ELD (X or M)
Sierra Game Changer
Hammer Sledge Hammers

I would provably go with the 142gr ABLR, just in case you take a shot at a short distance the bullet won't blow up on you and also has a good BC for up to 600 yards as you mentioned as your top distance. You can also go with the 129gr if you want a higher velocity. These will work on Mulies and Elk also. If you want some lead free then go for the Hammers.

Any of you guys shooting Barnes really need to try the hammers. It's basically a improved better functioning version of the Barnes. I've shot Barnes and my big take away was lack of opening at longer ranges. The hammers are much softer so they seem to open better and do more internal trauma. Plus you still get as much or more penetration from the shank after the front peels off.

Any of you guys shooting Barnes really need to try the hammers. It's basically a improved better functioning version of the Barnes. I've shot Barnes and my big take away was lack of opening at longer ranges. The hammers are much softer so they seem to open better and do more internal trauma. Plus you still get as much or more penetration from the shank after the front peels off.

+1!! Spot on analysis!! And I have used the Accubond as well for many years and is an exceptional bullet but a HAMMER it ain't.......

That's how I feel I've ran the whole field of bullets each one I thought was better. I was totally against monos except for shorter range stuff on think game. But that started to change when I tried the cutting edge. Then the hammers upped the ante again. They are very good and I always tell people if you like Barnes the hammers are even better. I know it's hard to try something new but man do t get stuck on one thing when tech changes fast.

And they're Extremely Accurate!

Starting to reload of my 6.5 prc for mule deer and I am stuck trying to decide what bullet to go with... how do you all decide on a bullet?

Things I am considering but not limited to
Swift Scirrocco
Nosler Accubond
Nosler Accubond Long Range
Hornady ELD (X or M)
Sierra Game Changer
Hammer Sledge Hammers
Timmymic,
I see there is another post called "6.5 bullet suggestion " that's 6 pages long.
You might find some info on. This one has very good info on it though . :)

With this load just seated to 2.8" per saami and worked up to basically all the H4350 could get in case (47-48 grains depending on brass brand) and used 215gm primer and has consistently gave this in a youth model savage 260 rem with 22" barrel.... now I shoot it more than the kids!! About 2 dozen whitetail kills in it has shown to be the most DRT bullet I have ever used! At 500yds dial up is 6.8 moa. This is not a easy lil gun to shoot but it just goes there. It is the bullet carrying it. The 130 accubond was no slouch but was 9 moa dial up averaged moa but not a HAMMER group. Have got exceptional loads for 280AI, 30-06, and 7RM with Hammers that are the same but really like this lil gun.... After my many attempts to dispute Hammers claim of terminal performance and ease of load development it just can't be disputed as many others here have noted.

Attachments

• 260 47 H4350 110 Hammer1.jpg
    260 47 H4350 110 Hammer1.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 307
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.