Bullet choice

Bigngreen how many elk have you hit with a barnes bullet

A few truck loads, I used to really pimp Barnes when I ran a wild game cutting shop and shot a pile of them my self and basically gave my dad and brothers an ultimatum that they shoot Barnes or cut their own meat :D From first of September through November elk hunting is what we do!!!!!

I was happy with mediocre accuracy and having to mine the copper out of the barrel, then I had two failures on elk and about that same time I started seeing guys getting good results with the Bergers so I bought some and started shooting game, I've tried to force them to have issues and the only problems I have had is wearing barrels out. Accuracy has greatly improved in everything we've loaded them in and barrels are not choking on copper making pressure issues gun)

Shooting light, fast and hard bullets works great till it doesn't. Using moderate chamberings with heavy for cal bullets work and work well, they've worked for over a decade for long range shooting and hunting. edit I meant to say century not decade, heavy slow bullet did a number on a lot of buffalo in the late 1800's!!!

If heavy for cal, super accurate, expanding bullets weren't the answer why would Barnes go through all the trouble to try to make just that to try to get into the long range bullet market, they are trying to get into it with heavier higher BC bullets that expand easier.

From first of September through November elk hunting is what we do!!!!!

I was happy with mediocre accuracy and having to mine the copper out of the barrel, then I had two failures on elk and about that same time I started seeing guys getting good results with the Bergers so I bought some and started shooting game, I've tried to force them to have issues and the only problems I have had is wearing barrels out. Accuracy has greatly improved in everything we've loaded them in and barrels are not choking on copper making pressure issues gun)

Shooting light, fast and hard bullets works great till it doesn't. Using moderate chamberings with heavy for cal bullets work and work well, they've worked for over a decade for long range shooting and hunting.

Well stated. Thank you!

Jeff

from what i could find berger does not make a 300 grain .338 hunting bullet.
the only time i would ever consider a berger bullet is when target shooting
A 300gr .338 bullet is alot of slug...match bullet or not. Take for instance the 300gr MatchKing. Guys on this forum have had great success with that particular "Match" bullet. I've witnessed how destructive they can be on game out beyond a half mile. I've killed elk with Barnes, Nosler, and Berger. The Nosler and the Berger bullets have deffinately provided the more spectacular results as far as bangflopability. That said, shooting a 338 RUM, 338 Edge, 338 Lapua AI, I would be just as confident shooting the 300gr Matchking or Berger. Thats alot of horsepower any way you cut it.

Big n green, well put. Barnesuser he laid it out there what is your elk track record? lets see your bull this year and set up

Geeze, there you go Broz.... since your out to crush a guys dreams you might as well tell him about Santa Clause too....

All kidding aside :)rolleyes:), Barnesuser, the gents are trying to tell you something from decades of experience & hundreds of animals taken. They aren't saying the Barnes won't work, just that they have limitations.

Well , At that age you had better get going, my son had one 5x7 by then. Shot with 243 with your BASIC spitzer bullet, because that was the gun my dad gave me and so , same for him. Plus I did a lot of relaoding in high school, and had tons of spitzer type bullets. Every time some sale, I had them, and I shot them. Where ya from boy, in elk country I hope:D

No i live in north dakota but every year my dad my little brother who is 10 and i go elk hunting in either colorado, wyoming or montana. I reload my 7mm-08 with you guessed it barnes 140 grain ttsx:D
I have a few deer under my belt though

I wonder why Berger has a hunting bullet section on their website if all of their bullets are for TARGET shooting.

No i live in north dakota but every year my dad my little brother who is 10 and i go elk hunting in either colorado, wyoming or montana. I reload my 7mm-08 with you guessed it barnes 140 grain ttsx:D
I have a few deer under my belt though

Sorry about the jab, but it struck me funny. The 140TTSX & 7-08 is a good little combo & utilized at a sane distance, will pile medium game into big heaps. you've came to the right place to do your homework, but don't throw rock at our senior members, these gents have "been there, done that". They aren't trying to lead you astray, I promise :)

Im laughing so hard right now Im about ready to fall out of my chair:D Barnesuser, it is official now, especially since you live in ND. I've seen more elk than you've seen trees:D

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.