Bullet choice

I can agree to the bullet placment part but that is one of the problems if a 420 inch bull shows up and the only shot you have is at 1200 yards and he is quatering away as he is walking into the trees and you know that your bullet will only penetrate 18 inches you shouldnt take that shot. Where if you have a bullet that holds together you can take that shot because it will penetrate to the vitals.

I would put that bull in the dirt with my 338 Norma spitting out a 300 otm, arriving with just close to 2000 Egun)I would aim right at the crease, center up and down. If I was slight back, I would still make it in,low take out heart, high major shoulder spine, which I would maybe take top 1/3 shoulder shot depending if elk on up hill like they usually are, forward would be the worst but I would still take out that side front end. And I HAVE NEVER had a 3 legged elk get away from me:D

If you shoot at a hard quartering away elk and the bullet only travels 14-18 inches then all that it is going to do is tear up the guts then the elk will run and run and run and the possibility of losing that elk gets to be very high. I just cant stand it when people use target bullets for hunting especially when hunting something as tough as an elk

I used to be in your camp, I drank more Barnes cool aid that you can shake a stick at. But when I started examining the honest results and then loading and taking piles of elk with Bergers I was cured of my mono metal affliction! I've change what I load because of loading and shooting elk, not marketing or hype just straight up performance on game I pull the trigger on!!!!

How many have you taken:D I like Big and green have taken game with them, and I still shoot them and use them for , more what I would call specific purpose. Several on here have good luck w/mono and that goes for the customs, but they are all more pricey also, Nice practicing with same bullet.

They cost more because they are a premium bullet and what is the difference between a berger target bullet and a berger hunting bullet

I can agree to the bullet placment part but that is one of the problems if a 420 inch bull shows up and the only shot you have is at 1200 yards and he is quatering away as he is walking into the trees and you know that your bullet will only penetrate 18 inches you shouldnt take that shot. Where if you have a bullet that holds together you can take that shot because it will penetrate to the vitals.

WRONG!!! This is where the Berger will shine the most. At the slowed velocity of a 1200 yard shot the berger would be your best chance of a shot that would do enough damage to down the Bull. This shot with a Bares is a very high percentage shot where the bullet would not expand at all and that bull would keep right on going unless you were lucky enough to get a center shot heart.

Even many of the solid copper users will tell you the Berger is better at 1200 yards for more than one reason.

Fact #1 Berger is more accurate at 1200 and shot placement is king.
Fact #2 Berger has higher BC to retain Velocity energy and less drift.
Fact #3 If anything will expand at this distance it would be a Berger.

I always suggest to people that what ever bullet they use, know how the bullet works and at what velocities it performs best. I hope this post helps you a little to know your bullet better. I have taken a Bull at 1130 yards, you better have a good expanding bullet to do it.

Jeff

Being a big fan of Berger and Barnes, I have to say that at 1200 yards, I'd rather have the Berger because I'd be afraid the Barnes wouldn't open adequately. Even if it did open some, I am guessing it would pass through and the organs would appear as though a target arrow went through and not an expanded bullet. Plus, at that distance, I'd want a big big bullet, something in the 338 cal, 300 gr. I'd consider a 300 RUM and a 230 Berger also.

1. since a barnes bullet is monolithic there wont be an inconsistancies with jacket and core alignment, and some rifles perfer different bullets so a berger wont always be more accurate in a particuler rifle.

2. yes a berger has a higher b.c. and it will retain more velocity and more energy and drift less but lets face it IT IS A TARGET BULLET.

3. if you had a cartridge with enough case capacity you could push a barnes bullet fast enough to expand beautifully at those velocities

" 2. yes a berger has a higher b.c. and it will retain more velocity and more energy and drift less but lets face it IT IS A TARGET BULLET."

LMAO, what ever :rolleyes:

Good luck, we will simply agree to disagree.

Jeff

from what i could find berger does not make a 300 grain .338 hunting bullet.
the only time i would ever consider a berger bullet is when target shooting

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.