Bullet choice

Outlaw, My son missed first shot at 700+, antelope was 1/4 a little, I dont know if he held wind I TOLD him, or not.THE goat ran out farther and my lazer died from use in archery season. From looks of fence and position I had boy dial 4mil, and he shoot and buck was hit, If you look real close he hit it in the foot, the buck did not want to run and kid followed up at around 3-400. The boy usually connects on #1. Next year I PUT IN NEW BATTERY FOR RIFLE.I took big rifle because I missed 2 large bucks in previous years to wind calls with 257, and I had my meter. The buck I SHOT WAS MY #2 choice, I saw a better, but coud not find him again, 550 yrd bedded.

Attachments

• 74'' goat.jpg
    74'' goat.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 65
i would wait for the accubond but if you decide to use the bergers DO NOT take a quartering away shot

I have and I was looking threw alders @ 50 yrd and I side stepped with rifle on shoulder and got small window and let fly, might have had contact on way because it looked like a massive double lung archery. I have arrowed 15 bulls , and the blood trail was CRAZY, HIT him high and there was swaths on firs and trunks, knew he was dead elk running. FIST sized like goat,in and out. he still went aways, till he was pumped out.gun)

No i havent but berger says on their website that they penetrate UP TO 18 inches which sometimes isnt enough

I wouldn't be afraid of the Berger at all. The last 2 elk I shot were with a 210 VLD and both inside 80 yds. First one was shot at a hard quartering away angle. It bolted 20 yds and piled up. Everything north of the diaphram was liquid. The second one was broadside. Bullet hit just behind the shoulder below the spine. Folded right there. Big portion of the lungs were almost non existant. You'll be firing a slug thats carrying more weigh, larger frontal area, and a has ton more energy on tap. You'll be just fine IMHO!

I've shot elk with 7mm 180's, 30 cal 210's, and 338 grain 300's, from 150-1200 yards. I have not experienced a failure. A personal friend reports a 180 berger cratering on an elk at 150 yards with muzzle velocity around 3300. This doesn't surprise me, as the bullet was likely nearly torn apart by the torque and friction from the barrel alone.

I've seen a lot of wierd bullet performance. Folks need to realize reality doesn't mirror the edited TV shows. Bullets all have their own limitations. Use them accordingly. There is nothing wrong if an animal doesn't fall over instantly dead with the first shot.

Yah , I have a buddy that hates partitions. I shot elk w/225 for 10 yrs. and he knows this, HE lost a cow w/ 8mmRM. Then he went on to loose a griz w/ same set up. I know how he is easy to blam the bullet:rolleyes:

No i havent but berger says on their website that they penetrate UP TO 18 inches which sometimes isnt enough

First as I stated before evey single one has been a complete pass through for us. But lets look at this 18" statement. If I sent a 300 gr bullet into an elk and it did only penetrate , lets say 14". With the damage it would be doing I can not say I feel tis would not be enough. Unless I was coming i from the rear which I would never do. After taking some elk with it, and seeing others shot with them, I feel this bullet placed in the front 1/2 of an elk at any angle would be a done deal. If placed in the back 1/2 I feel it or any other bullet's preformance would be questionable for terminal results.

Let me post a few exit holes on elk from the 300 Bergers.

Note bone fragments around exit hole.

DSC03258Small.jpg

Plenty of blood was coming out this one.

Resampled_2011-11-20_11-02-48_15Small.jpg

This was from a 230 hybrid exit.

DSC03275Small.jpg

If you shoot at a hard quartering away elk and the bullet penetrates 14-18 inches all it is going to do is tear up the guts then the elk is going to run and run and run and losing the elk becomes a high possibility. i just cant stand it when people us a target bullets for hunting especially when hunting something as tough as an elk

If you shoot at a hard quartering away elk and the bullet only travels 14-18 inches then all that it is going to do is tear up the guts then the elk will run and run and run and the possibility of losing that elk gets to be very high. I just cant stand it when people use target bullets for hunting especially when hunting something as tough as an elk

If you shoot at a hard quartering away elk and the bullet only travels 14-18 inches then all that it is going to do is tear up the guts then the elk will run and run and run and the possibility of losing that elk gets to be very high. I just cant stand it when people use target bullets for hunting especially when hunting something as tough as an elk

Is there an echo in here?:)

Gut shot elk go a long ways with any bullet. Actually a fragmenting bullet would be better in this instance.

I know how you feel though. I feel the exact same way when someone uses a bullet that pencils through with no expansion. I was only there for the taking of 12 elk this past season and only had to track one from a solid copper 4 plus miles. Fortunatly 9 of the other 11 were shot with Bergers and one shot kills with no tracking required.

Jeff

But when using a solid copper bullet like barnes bullets the bullet would go through all of the guts and get to the vitals and sometimes even exit

If you shoot at a hard quartering away elk and the bullet penetrates 14-18 inches all it is going to do is tear up the guts then the elk is going to run and run and run and losing the elk becomes a high possibility. i just cant stand it when people us a target bullets for hunting especially when hunting something as tough as an elk
That is kinda funny because this sight is full of 100's of pictures and stories, if not 1000's of game taken with them. And three shows on the outdoor ch. dedicated to the use of them.So somebody must think they work. The right tool for the task and bullet placement are always the key. Reminds me of the recurve vrs compound. Heavy arrow vrs. light. They all work if used as intended.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.