Bullet Advice

houston

I've been shooting my 300 Win mag scendero with moa accuracy out to 900 yards using 150 grain Hornady SST. I've tried loading 180 gr barnes tsx with terrible results, 150 gr noslers were so so. I'm doing a aoudad sheep hunt in texas in March and never killed anything with the sst, and have to wait til Jan for doe season here in Iowa to test em, any thoughts appreciated.
Thanks,Jeff~

Last edited:
i think you want to know how this bullet will work but i'm not sure. can you be a little more specific with your question. like what animal, do you want to kill just sheep size stuff or anything bigger? what distance do you want to shoot? and are you looking for any other suggestions. more info please.

Id like to find an all around 500 yard bullet for everything to elk size animals. For right now however is the sst a bullet that wont disenegrate on contact with the shoulder? Anyone with 1st hand knowledge?
Thanks, Jeff~

I've been shooting my 300 Win mag scendero with moa accuracy out to 900 yards using 150 grain Hornady SST. I've tried loading 180 gr barnes tsx with terrible results, 150 gr noslers were so so. I'm doing a aoudad sheep hunt in texas in March and never killed anything with the sst, and have to wait til Jan for doe season here in Iowa to test em, any thoughts appreciated.
Thanks,Jeff~

It is news to me that a centerfire rifle can be used for deer hunting in Iowa. When did this become legal? I used to live in Iowa and was under the impression all deer taken with a firearm must fall to a handgun or shotgun or muzzleloader.

I'd stick with the bullet that works in your rifle with the aoudad hunt coming up soon, unless you wish to do more load development. I'd opt for a 185 VLD to try personally, or a 180 Scirocco or AB.

The late doe season in janurary is any firearm in the lowest two tiers of counties in Iowa.3rd year.
Jeff~

For long range ALL around in a 300 mag, I would use at least a 180 grain bullet. You want a high B.C. bullet that will buck the wind better and will arrive at distant targets with some remaining velocity. This will also help with expansion at long range. My experience with sst's is that they are highly frangible, although accurate. My choice would probably be a Berger 185 "or heavier". You probably have a 10" twist so the 210's would work just fine......Rich

Will H4350 or H1000 powders be suitable for the 185 gr or what would work better?
Thanks,Jeff~

210s with re-22 shoot great in my sendero. also the factory 180 tsx shot in the ones. the 165 baltip and 168 cbt with i-4350 is what i use for deer.

Will H4350 or H1000 powders be suitable for the 185 gr or what would work better?
Thanks,Jeff~

I prefer the slower powder myself. But 4350 sure does some impressive stuff in the 7mag/300mag. I'd go with H1000, Re22, Re25 or maybe even Retumbo with the 180 and bigger bullets. AND, don't forget 4831, 7828, or Magnum either.

All of the powders mentioned will work in the mag but I would stick to the ones that have the least temp sensitivity for long range stuff. We check barometer, air temp, turn necks, weigh cases, etc., etc. and powder temp can be a larger factor than any of the above for bullet drop at 1000 yds. The Reloader powders give some of thebest velocities but have the most variation due to powder temp. I would personally use one of the Hodgdon powders such as H1000, Retumbo, or even 4831 or 4350......Rich

Thanks,Jeff~
>

Have you tried any other barnes? I use 168gr TSX. You might try the MRX.

I use a Ruger #1 factory barrel, It's real picky about seating depth and charge weight/powder type, even brass affects consistency. If I do my load work right I can put three inside a quarter at 200yds.

I have gone trough femurs both front to back, and back to front on MT mulies, at 200-250yds. I have no doubts it would be fine for 400-500yd work on elk. It's way too much on my 300yd antelope, I wouldn't hesitate on sheep.

I've used the 180gr. SSTs in my 30-06 and had complete penetration on an elk cow. It was a double lung shot so no bones larger than ribs were hit. I'm now using 168gr. Barnes TSX and getting very good accuracy. I have complete faith in Barnes TSX bullets getting the job done.
Don

I have seen the30 cal 150 sst take many animals. All died just fine but it is a thin jacket that blows up in the animal. In my opinion it is not an elk bullet and could blow up on the shoulder and lose your elk. Very similar to the sierra game king bullets on elk. Just to thin and fragile jacket. The 200 grain nosler accubond is a good quality hunting bullet with high bc that would get you to 900 yards better than the 150 sst. I think the 150 sst is better served for deer and antelope.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.