Bullet Market Advice

what you should do is make a few runs of bullets and get them out to guys on here that can shoot the bullets and give everyone including you an idea on what they perform like and things of that nature. That way you know if you need to do any tweaking or modifications you can, and you can compile a close b.c. Then those shooters can spread the word and the only thing left to do on your part is make bullets.

This is a good idea.

Pretty much fully appreciating your situation, here's another suggestion.

Select the caliber and weights you wish to start with.

When you get them perfected to your liking, make a few available to select members of this site. You select those few and there are only a few.

Have them promise to not go public with any findings/data/etc until you give the ok.

Work out an agreement with your selected shooter/testers and let'r rip.

There are some around here that I would fully trust.

I followed this process with the re-pointed 350 SMKs and it worked really well. Then I discovered quality monos that negated the whole process.:roll eyes:

I really appreciate the encouraging words. We are starting tonight designing an rbbt hunting bullet. Here we go.

Steve

If you are making solids, why would you make a RBBT?

They are supposed to give a cleaner exit from the muzzle like a flat based bullet with the benefit of higher bc like a regular boat tail.

Just now cutting a 180g 1.5" one now. They look great.

Steve

They are supposed to give a cleaner exit from the muzzle like a flat based bullet with the benefit of higher bc like a regular boat tail.

Just now cutting a 180g 1.5" one now. They look great.

Steve

Steve ....Glad to hear that you are considering making bullets. If you make quality bullets for a fair price and take a no B S customer service approach, you will likely have no problem selling them. START WITH ACCURATE B.C. NUMBERS! This is something that people do not like and it makes it a lot easier for people to just buy them and shoot them. As far as the rbt's go, the main reason for making them is, it is easier on punches when making jacketed/lead core bullets. They do not have to be so thin which causes a lot more breakage. I have been making these for years now. To be quite honest about it, I do not think there is any difference as far as performance. Good luck......Rich

Steve ....Glad to hear that you are considering making bullets. If you make quality bullets for a fair price and take a no B S customer service approach, you will likely have no problem selling them. START WITH ACCURATE B.C. NUMBERS! This is something that people do not like and it makes it a lot easier for people to just buy them and shoot them. As far as the rbt's go, the main reason for making them is, it is easier on punches when making jacketed/lead core bullets. They do not have to be so thin which causes a lot more breakage. I have been making these for years now. To be quite honest about it, I do not think there is any difference as far as performance. Good luck......Rich

So they are easier to make in lead core? I had no idea, I would have thought the opposite. Why so few do it then? I have only read the sales pitches on rbbt and thought it to be true. Never really shot them before so I couldn't say I have real world experience with them. Just cut a few the other night and should have some time this next week to shoot them. So hot out tho.

Steve

So they are easier to make in lead core? I had no idea, I would have thought the opposite. Why so few do it then? I have only read the sales pitches on rbbt and thought it to be true. Never really shot them before so I couldn't say I have real world experience with them. Just cut a few the other night and should have some time this next week to shoot them. So hot out tho.

Steve

A knowledgeable fella on here, who goes into great depth on stuff, told me that the bc difference between an RBBT and std BT is negligible. There may be something to the way one exits the muzzle but .... who knows.....

A knowledgeable fella on here, who goes into great depth on stuff, told me that the bc difference between an RBBT and std BT is negligible. There may be something to the way one exits the muzzle but .... who knows.....

The research that I have done shows that the flat based bullet is most accurate because the muzzle blast is sent perpendicular to the bullet as it exits the muzzle vs a boat tail the gas on exit of the muzzle engulfs the bullet and the bullet has to travel through the upon exit. Thus causing some disruption to the bullet flight path. So in theory the rbbt gives that square base to deflect muzzle blast to the sides and give a cleaner launch. I never thought the rbbt gave any better bc.

There is only one way to find out. I'll have to try them both identical and see if I can tell a diff. They do look cool and everyone knows you cant over look the cool factor.:D

Steve

The research that I have done shows that the flat based bullet is most accurate because the muzzle blast is sent perpendicular to the bullet as it exits the muzzle vs a boat tail the gas on exit of the muzzle engulfs the bullet and the bullet has to travel through the upon exit. Thus causing some disruption to the bullet flight path. So in theory the rbbt gives that square base to deflect muzzle blast to the sides and give a cleaner launch. I never thought the rbbt gave any better bc.

There is only one way to find out. I'll have to try them both identical and see if I can tell a diff. They do look cool and everyone knows you cant over look the cool factor.:D

Steve

The rbbt might help but there is still a boat tail the muzzleblast is going to hit. Ive heard a .015" step for a recess on a rbbt is optimal. Too much more and the passing air will seperate at the body causing increased drag. Rarely is this .015" perpindicular. Usually a combination of a slight angle and fine radius.

Considering this, how much muzzle blast can be prevented from overcoming the bullet? You will put yourself through a lot of work to isolate just that variable alone.

I personally would prefer a long 7.5 deg boat tail with a square heel. Smooth, simple, and easier to seat.

The rbbt might help but there is still a boat tail the muzzleblast is going to hit. Ive head a .015" step for a recess on a rbbt is optimal. Too much more and the passing air will seperate at the body causing increased drag. Rarely is this .015" perpindicular. Usually a combination of a slight angle and fine radius.

Considering this, how much muzzle blast can be prevented from overcoming the bullet? You will put yourself through a lot of work to isolate just that variable alone.

I personally would prefer a long 7.5 deg boat tail with a square heel. Smooth, simple, and easier to seat.

The rbbt we cut has a slight radius not a hard edge so seating should not be a problem. I like what you are saying about the long boat tail. As a general rule I am a KISS (keep it simple stupid) guy. Thank you for your input.

Always looking for that feature that sets apart or is a little better than generally available.

Steve

Steve

They are not necessarily EASIER but the punch has to be so thin on a regular boat tail that they are very easy to break. I am not knocking the RBT, I shoot them all the time. The RBT allows for a thicker punch for the rebate which is a lot more durable. My RBT's shoot very well, so I am sure that yours will too.......Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts